Effective Methods of Carpet Cleaning - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 12-18-2009, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Effective Methods of Carpet Cleaning

shampooing seems to be the most effective. This is because maximum attention to detail is paid when shampooing carpets. Furthermore the cleaning company makes use of specially formulated detergents which are then agitated with carpet cleaning machines. A vacuuming process follows which sucks out all the shampoo from the surface of the carpet. The deodorizers present in the shampoo remove the filthy stench whereas brighteners bring the carpet back to life with its original color.

Dry cleaning is another highly effective carpet cleaning method. This is far more time efficient as one does not have to wait for the carpets to dry. Furthermore even the microscopic dust mites that reappear after the shampooing process are eliminated with this method of cleaning. This is because the specially formulated cleaning powder used in this method actually attracts all the dust leaving no trace of it behind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 PM

No matter how firmly you attempt to maintain your carpets in clean condition and looking new, they'll sooner or later require cleaning. Taking care of your carpets and cleaning them on a regular basis will greatly expand the lifespan of your carpet. Even if your carpets don't seem to be dirty, a regular carpet cleaning is called for to keep your carpets in as good condition as possible.
Generally speaking, most professionals recommend that you do a thorough carpet cleaning about once every 6 to 12 months. This can vary widely depending on how much traffic your carpets see on a regular basis, so for heavily traveled carpets, this could be as frequently as every 3 to 4 months. Even if you can't see it, carpets will pick up pollen, dust, dust mites, and pet dandruff. In areas of high humidity, it is not uncommon for carpets to also contain molds.
Your first step is determining the type of carpet cleaning method you wish to use. There are various different methods available to you, and the right approach will vary depending on the type of carpet, the amount of traffic, and of course how much you are willing to spend. Keep in mind that you have an investment in your carpet, so it does not pay to choose a method based on price alone since that may not get the carpet as clean as it could be, which will reduce its useful lifespan. If in doubt, you could check with your carpet warranty or a professional at a local carpet store.
One method that is fairly inexpensive while also relatively effective is steam cleaning. You can rent a steam cleaner at many places very inexpensively. This uses very hot water with a carpet cleaning solution which is spread over the carpeting. After that, that steam cleaner sucks the water back up and also sucks up the dirt, dust, and grime. This is similar to another method known as water extraction, where the difference is that cold water is used. While using hot water is typically more effective, cold water may be required for the type of carpet you have to avoid shrinkage or water spots being left on the carpet after the cleaning process has been completed.
Again depending on the type of carpet you are attempting to clean, you could also use a method known as dry extraction. This is where a foam or powder is spread onto the carpet and allowed to sit for awhile, then is swept up with your normal vacuum sweeper.
Prior to starting your carpet cleaning process, be sure to treat any stains before you begin. If you do not, chances are good that you may make that stain permanent. When removing carpet stains, be sure to use a solution that will not bleed the color out of the carpet, and when cleaning up the stain, be sure to blot and not rub on the stained area.
post #3 of Old 03-27-2010, 02:54 AM

Carpet is one of the most important things in your home to keep clean. Keeping your carpet clean is important, for both health and cost effective reasons. Your health can be largely affected by dust mites and other allergens that make carpets their home, and it is more financially sound to keep your carpet clean than it is to purchase a new carpet. You should professionally clean your carpets every twelve to eighteen months, and vacuum every day or two to keep them from appearing dingy.

There are many different ways to remove spots and odors from your carpets. To keep odors out of your carpet, periodically sprinkle baking soda on your carpets. The baking soda will remove a wide range of odors, from pet odors to body odor in carpets. When a spill occurs, it is important to spot clean it immediately. If you leave a spill on the carpet too long, it is more likely the stain will be permanent. Do not rub the stain too hard, as it will become more difficult to remove from the carpet but it could spread further and make a larger stain. Rubbing the stain too hard will also weaken the fibers of your carpet. It is best for the carpet if the spill is blotted so that there is no extra damage to the carpet.

Use gentle cleansers such as shampoo or dish soap to remove stains. Club soda and vinegar also work well on carpet stains. There are many commercial spot cleaners on the market for residential carpet use. Before applying these cleaners to the carpet, choose an inconspicuous area of the carpet to test the cleanser. When you are spot cleaning spills, use white cloths or plain white paper towels so that you can monitor the amount of the stain that has been removed.

For the more solid spills like pudding or peanut butter, scrape off the excess spill with a butter knife or similar object. Rinse the remaining part of the spill with warm water, and blot the rest of the spill out of the carpet. Solids that have dried on the carpet can be broken up and vacuumed out of the carpet. Any remaining stain from a dried solid spill can be rinsed and blotted out of the carpet.

There are also several different carpet cleaning methods to keep your carpets clean. Developing a regular routine of cleaning your carpet is the best way of prolonging the looks of your carpet.

The carpet shampoo method utilizes a foamy chemical that is scrubbed into the carpet. This cleaning solution binds with the dirt in the carpet. You apply the carpet shampoo to the carpet, allow it to attract the dirt and dry, and vacuum up the residue. Carpet shampooing is one option but because of the nature of detergents, it can allow the carpets to resoil easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-12-2010, 11:37 PM

Hello friends,

There are various methods available for carpet cleaning like foam,shampoo,bonnet,dry and carpet steam cleaning. Each and every method has its own pros and cons..Most of the people prefer steam cleaning.

You'll find more details on http://www.allergyconsumerreview.com...g-methods.html

Thank you.
post #5 of Old 04-16-2010, 02:12 AM

There are a lot of of effective ways to clean a carpet.. Searching it on net will just make carpet users to be confused, just like me. The main thing here is to put our carpet into consideration like for example,we have to decide if whether our carpet needs to be cleaned for odor or stain removal or we just want to restore it to it's fresh look. From then on, we can now search for the exact ways or method which can help us to clean our carpet.

Hope that helps everyone..
post #6 of Old 06-28-2011, 11:57 PM

Very helpful information on carpets & rugs cleaning. But as there are various methods are available for rugs cleaning only a professional rugs cleaner can help you out which method will be the best suitable for your rugs.
post #7 of Old 06-29-2011, 08:19 AM

really great tips, thank you

post #8 of Old 07-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Response

It is also important when to clean carpets. It is quite different for busy and commercial settings. We have an article on our blog that talks about carpet cleaning frequency:

http://www.bbcleaningservice.com/blog

http://www.bbcleaningservice.com/
post #9 of Old 07-28-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpet Cleaning View Post
shampooing seems to be the most effective. This is because maximum attention to detail is paid when shampooing carpets. Furthermore the cleaning company makes use of specially formulated detergents which are then agitated with carpet cleaning machines. A vacuuming process follows which sucks out all the shampoo from the surface of the carpet. The deodorizers present in the shampoo remove the filthy stench whereas brighteners bring the carpet back to life with its original color.

Dry cleaning is another highly effective carpet cleaning method. This is far more time efficient as one does not have to wait for the carpets to dry. Furthermore even the microscopic dust mites that reappear after the shampooing process are eliminated with this method of cleaning. This is because the specially formulated cleaning powder used in this method actually attracts all the dust leaving no trace of it behind.
Really spot on and simple. Thank you I will surely consider your advice. But can I perform dry cleaning by myself and what exactly is it?

Best Regards,
Cheryl Parker
post #10 of Old 07-28-2011, 08:07 AM

i think you can... but if I were you I wouldn't try as it may damage the carpeting if it is not done properly

post #11 of Old 07-29-2011, 12:30 AM

Thank you James I almost got it. Great explanation though, thanks for the effort.

Best Regards,
Cheryl Parker
post #12 of Old 07-29-2011, 07:50 AM

It is observed that usually people start scrubing the carpet as soon as some spot is encountered on the carpet. This doesn't clean the carpet. Instead the spot is diluted and fiber of carpet get damaged. Instead a piece of wet cloth should be used to rinse the spot.

Offers commercial and professional Carpet Cleaners London and Commercial Carpet Cleaning.
post #13 of Old 07-29-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewl View Post
It is observed that usually people start scrubing the carpet as soon as some spot is encountered on the carpet. This doesn't clean the carpet. Instead the spot is diluted and fiber of carpet get damaged. Instead a piece of wet cloth should be used to rinse the spot.
I agree, a stain should be rubbed gently starting from the outside.

post #14 of Old 07-29-2011, 10:51 AM

Resolve.
Spray and Scrub.
Done and Done.
###
Seattle House Cleaning
post #15 of Old 08-01-2011, 11:26 AM

I'd say that hot water extraction is the best method of cleaning carpets over shampooing and other methods. This method involves super heated water, detergent and a whole lot of scrubbing and suction action. This causes all the dirt embedded in your carpets to be sucked out...

Well, thats my 2 cents!
post #16 of Old 08-01-2011, 05:34 PM

Micro-absorbent bonnet cleaning is the best method.
post #17 of Old 08-08-2011, 03:54 PM

Carpet cleaning

I use Genesis 950. It works with water to break the bond of the stain to lift it out of the carpet as well as deodorize. I use this in a steamer. It is just as effective when used for spot cleaning as well.

I initially bought it because I had midnight blue paint stained on white carpet. I like you, I tried the recommended cleaners and it only saturated the stain deeper or lightened the carpet. When I found 950, 6 months after the stain set in, I had no expectations, but was blown away when it completely removed the paint with no damage. Since then I use it for everything. Pet stains, degreasing the oven, and food stains.

Any stain or smell will come out with no problem if you use this. I know this because I have cleaned up wine and juice. But the most impressive spills were A1 Steak Sauce and tomato soup. I shattered an entire bottle of A1 in the living room. Let me clarify this - an ENTIRE bottle of A1 steak sauce. It was a nightmare. I got the 950, put some in a bucket, and used a sponge to clean it all out. I had a portable steamcleaner all plugged in and warming up, and I didn't even need to use it because of the 950. Most recently, a TV tray with a bowl of tomato soup got knocked over in the living room. It was funny because I just left the soup alone and let it sink into the carpet while I ate the sandwich cause I knew with the 950 I had nothing to worry about. I was right.

The only downfall to the product is it is hard to find anywhere and I usually have to order it online from www.amerikalstore.com. But, it works so well I have no problem doing it.
post #18 of Old 08-08-2011, 06:10 PM

@MissTonya - looks good!
post #19 of Old 08-19-2011, 02:03 AM

Get a pro to come in with their steam cleaners. After several years of active famoli + dog, there's not a non-commercial machine on the market that could do as well.. .
Compared to the cost and hassle of buying a domestic machine, and then storing it between uses, commercial cleaning is cost-effective for many people...
post #20 of Old 08-19-2011, 01:59 PM

If you are afraid about the commercial cappet cleaning products in the market then why dont you try with any local cleaning company in your region.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode