Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

Hardwood Floor

8K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  hamzapk094 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am cleaning a restaurant, I am 2 days in and the manager is not happy with the hardwood floors, he's saying there are streaks and footprints. This surprised me because the last clean, I used BONA and a microfiber mop and found that did a miraculous job. Not sure what he was seeing but maybe they reappeared after I left.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

#2 ·
Yeah! May be they re-appeared! When hardwood flooring is clean and shiny, it provides a welcoming ambiance that impresses customers and invites them to come back. We have hardwood flooring installed in our home, for taking the preventive measures we consulted the professional flooring contractors to give us some cleaning tips. They told to avoid harsh and harmful chemicals and warned us that water is probably the worst possibly enemy of this particular type of flooring. If there is a spill, it should be cleaned up immediately with a soft towel or a vacuum that has been made for wet and dry situations. Ensure that the floor is dried thoroughly to avoid the water seeping through it, which could eventually lead to the floor becoming dull and un-level.

#3 ·
What kind of floor cleaner are you using with the microfiber cloth? We have found good success with a neutral floor cleaner (Zep, Franklin and Boardwalk) all make good ones.

Attachments

#4 ·
All natural hardwood floor cleaning

1. Mix 2 tablespoons white vinegar with 2 quarts warm water in a large cleaning bucket.
  2. Swish your mop into the mixture and wring it as dry as you can.
  3. Wipe the mop over your hardwood floor, using pressure as needed to get up as much residue as possible.
  4. Sprinkle a light coat of baking soda over the residue, which gives you a slightly gritty texture that causes no harm to the hardwood floors but assists you in removing the buildup on the floor.
  5. Dip a nylon scrub brush into the cleaning bucket and scrub off the residue, working the baking soda into the buildup. Continue until you have removed all the ground-in dirt.
  6. Wipe the floors again with the mop, repeatedly dipping the mop into the bucket and wringing it out before wiping the floor with it. Let the floor air dry.

#12 ·
All natural hardwood floor cleaning

1. Mix 2 tablespoons white vinegar with 2 quarts warm water in a large cleaning bucket.
  2. Swish your mop into the mixture and wring it as dry as you can.
  3. Wipe the mop over your hardwood floor, using pressure as needed to get up as much residue as possible.
  4. Sprinkle a light coat of baking soda over the residue, which gives you a slightly gritty texture that causes no harm to the hardwood floors but assists you in removing the buildup on the floor.
  5. Dip a nylon scrub brush into the cleaning bucket and scrub off the residue, working the baking soda into the buildup. Continue until you have removed all the ground-in dirt.
  6. Wipe the floors again with the mop, repeatedly dipping the mop into the bucket and wringing it out before wiping the floor with it. Let the floor air dry hardwood floor refinishing atlanta.
I'm thinking about putting Hardwood Floors in my home. The house is approx. 2,000 sq. ft. Would anyone have a guesstimate on how much materials and installation would cost? I would like to put in a good product that does not have to be the best out there, but certainly don't want the low end. The middle of the road would work. Thanks for any help or advice you care to share.

#5 ·
The streaks are from the BONA. That product contains and acrylic polymer which builds up on the floor. It’s shiny when it first put on but will show marks very quickly. Basic coatings dissolver will remove the Bona residue but it’s labor intensive without a floor machine. I clean dozen of homes where customers and pervious cleaners has just destroyed the floors with these “polishes.” Best way to clean a hard wood or laminate floor is a flat microfiber mop and a spray bottle of windex. The ammonia in the windex will cut through the dirt but also allow it to dry very quickly.

For my customers, to prove the point, I clean( and I use that term loosely with bona) a spot with a Bona. Then I spray the same spot with windex and wipe with a white paper towels. The towel comes up black almost every time.

#8 ·
Cleaning products play an essential role in our daily lives at home, in school, and in the office. By safely and effectively removing soils, germs, and other contaminants, they prevent the spread of infectious diseases and control allergens, such as dust and mold, helping us to stay healthy. Cleaning products also enable us to care for our homes and possessions.

Chemicals used for cleaning and Cleaning products, such as laundry detergents, bleaches, dishwashing products, and other [URL="https://sweethomeideas.com/best-handheld-steam-cleaner/]Household Cleaners[/URL], help improve cleaning efficiency, making homes, offices and other environments both easier to clean and more hygienic.

Chemicals in cleaning products like laundry detergent can help these products to perform just as well in cold water as in hot water, enabling consumers to save money and energy when washing their clothes. In addition, highly concentrated liquid laundry formulations made possible by chemistry require less packaging materials and generate less waste.

Household cleaning products containing antibacterial cleaners not only remove dirt and soil, but they also can kill the germs that may cause illness.

Chlorinated cleaning products can help protect against seasonal flu outbreaks and episodes of foodborne illness. Daycare centers, hospitals, restaurants, and other public facilities rely upon the disinfectant qualities of chlorine-based cleaners to keep the environment germ-free.

Cleaning solvents are also common cleaning products. For example, glycol ethers are highly effective as an active component of heavy-duty glass, floor, and other hard surface cleaning formulations. These solvents have good water compatibility, high solvency for greases and oils, and good biodegradability.

#9 ·
Its most likely caused by residue that piles up on the flooring over time. Each time you use Bona, the residue will get worse and you pretty much just shift dirt around each time you clean it. Its recommended that you actually use a product that will loosen up the dirt enough to stick to the microfiber mop.

#10 · (Edited)
I just got hardwood floors installed in my living room, dining room, and
hall, and want to know the best floor pad material that protects the
floor from the chair, table, and couch legs. Is it felt? I saw these cute
"socks" that fit over the bottoms of dining room chair legs and table
legs and bought them but haven't got them yet best Japanese floor seating. I also have a treadmill sort of stuck in my living room because once it got put together it's
too hard to move anywhere else. I found a mat that goes under exercise
equipment and specifically says it protects hardwood floors.

My question is, is there any material made to protect hardwood that can
actually hurt it over time?

#11 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I am cleaning a restaurant, I am 2 days in and the manager is not happy with the hardwood floors, he's saying there are streaks and footprints. This surprised me because the last clean, I used Best Spray Mop for BONA and a microfiber mop and found that did a miraculous job. Not sure what he was seeing but maybe they reappeared after I left.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
Once in awhile my bf gets a cleaning bug and wants to mop the floors with pine sol. I told him when we got the boys, no more pine sol. But his parents are coming over and he wants to mop and we have all this pinesol already. He likes the smell.

He thinks I should just put the birds in another room. I'm not sure that's enough.

What cleaning products leave a nice clean smell but don't over power birdies?
But even if I get a different product, I still don't want them in the room for cleaning..

I have three options for moving them assuming the temperature is okay..
a bedroom with windows open/fan on..
our finished attic room, with windows open/fan on..
or our screened in porch.
Do cleaning fumes rise or fall? I have no idea if the attic would be safer or more dangerous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.