I need help with pricing a commerical office building - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-14-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

I need help with pricing a commerical office building

I am new to the commercial cleaning word and was wondering if someone could give me some easy to understand advice on what to charge. I am in the Harrisburg, Pa area and am competing against 2 other companies. I would love to win this bid as it seems like something great for a newer smaller company. Here's the details:
3200 sq. ft, cleaned 3 times per week. 5 large windows and 1 glass door.
2 small restrooms with one toilet in each.
1/3 vinyl, 2/3 carpet
11 desks/cubs.
We must provide paper supplies

Hopefully that's enough information.

Here's my thinking. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Each visit 1hr for 2 people X 3 visits per week. $30/hr (4.33 weeks per month).
$389.70 + $150 cleaning supplies = $539.70

Seems a little low, but I've been reading on here and perhaps it's accurately priced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-15-2009, 01:39 AM

I wish I could help, I dont know about janitorial. If you ever need pressure washing I can help.

Good Luck, I will ask around an see. I know one guy on www.pressurewashinginstitute.com that does this type of work. i will e-mail him this link.
post #3 of Old 05-15-2009, 06:56 AM
J4K

3200 square feet should only take you about one hour for one person in the setting you are describing. 2 hours is over kill.
You are charging $30 per hour? Too high for my area not sure about where you are but I would lower that amount.
For the paper products I would invoice them as they use them rather then just giving them a set price, if you are not careful with this you can lose money on it.
I think you are high on your price, look things over again and see if you can lower it.
Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-15-2009, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your help....will do
post #5 of Old 05-15-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4K View Post
3200 square feet should only take you about one hour for one person in the setting you are describing. 2 hours is over kill.
You are charging $30 per hour? Too high for my area not sure about where you are but I would lower that amount.
For the paper products I would invoice them as they use them rather then just giving them a set price, if you are not careful with this you can lose money on it.
I think you are high on your price, look things over again and see if you can lower it.
Hope this helps!
Is your business all over the country? or do you have a store?
post #6 of Old 05-15-2009, 02:11 PM
J4K

Are you asking about J4K Supply?
post #7 of Old 12-15-2010, 01:03 PM

I agree priced a little high it will take between and hour and and hour and a half. To do the cleaning. Bill separate the cleaning supplies and provide the best cleaning possible.
post #8 of Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 PM

post #9 of Old 08-29-2012, 04:19 PM

Office cleaning quoting for new cleaning business

Quote:
Originally Posted by debestcleaning View Post
I am new to the commercial cleaning word and was wondering if someone could give me some easy to understand advice on what to charge. I am in the Harrisburg, Pa area and am competing against 2 other companies. I would love to win this bid as it seems like something great for a newer smaller company. Here's the details:
3200 sq. ft, cleaned 3 times per week. 5 large windows and 1 glass door.
2 small restrooms with one toilet in each.
1/3 vinyl, 2/3 carpet
11 desks/cubs.
We must provide paper supplies

Hopefully that's enough information.

Here's my thinking. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Each visit 1hr for 2 people X 3 visits per week. $30/hr (4.33 weeks per month).
$389.70 + $150 cleaning supplies = $539.70

Seems a little low, but I've been reading on here and perhaps it's accurately priced.
Hi there.

I personally think you are charging the right amount. There are other cleaning companies who charge more than this but I would also charge them for the paper they use and invoice them separately. Good look with your business. I have been join a year now and I'm still learning about quoting myself and getting it right. It all comes down to experience. All the best with your cleaning business.
post #10 of Old 08-29-2012, 06:12 PM

I disagree and think that your prices are way too low! You can't expect to do a good cleaning job covering 3,200 sq.ft. in 1 hour. I could probably do it myself that quickly but if paying someone else to clean for you will have to figure 1.5 - 2 hours per cleaning. If you are cleaning desks, dusting, removing cobwebs, cleaning interior glass, etc. I would be at 2 hours per night, 26 hours per month and would price it at $695.00 per month plus supplies. Supply costs will depend on the number of employees but unless they use expensive toilet tissue or paper towels, I would charge $100.00 per month for supplies. $795.00 per month total. The franchise cleaning companies will price it lower but if you can sell them on your ability to take care of small details you can get it. If they are interested in you then at the very least you can negiotiate down the price a bit if needed. Otherwise, you need to make a decent profit to stay in business!
Good luck!
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
post #11 of Old 08-29-2012, 06:20 PM
J4K

Wow, I must be way off on my production rates. 1600 sq feet per hour for general office cleaning? I am amazed you get any accounts at that rate.
post #12 of Old 08-29-2012, 07:07 PM

Thank you, I'll take that as a compliment! You can definitely cover 3,000 - 4,000 sq.ft per hour but not in the first hour of cleaning. Setting up the mop bucket, bringing garbage out to the dumpster, etc. will take more than 1 hour to clean. I just had to clean about 4,000 sq.ft last night to cover for an employee and it took me 1 hour and 45 minutes from set-up to locking the front door. If I paid an employee for an hour it would be a ****ty job and the customer would eventually be moving onto the next cleaning company. Why are people saying $389.00 per month is either the right price or too high? Your talking about 13 cleanings per month or $29.00 per cleaning!!!! Does anyone else here pay a legal employee including employers social security tax, umemployment tax, workers comp., liability insurance, chemicals, vacuums and other supplies?
Peter Weiss
post #13 of Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 PM
J4K

I must just be a fast cleaner! And yes we are now and always have been totally legal.
post #14 of Old 08-29-2012, 07:28 PM

So the question is can you ever put an employee in place to clean this account at $389.00 per month or will you always have to clean it yourself? I am not looking to clean my accounts myself so may look at it differently than some others. Regardless, I would still be at $795.00 per month and would get some of these accounts and not get some.
Peter Weiss
post #15 of Old 08-29-2012, 10:36 PM
J4K

Yes, we have about 30 employees right now so I don't actually clean much myself. If you guys can get those numbers that is great, I know around here there is no way I could.
post #16 of Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 AM

If you don't mind me asking, how much would you pay someone to clean this 3 x per week account per cleaning? $15.00?
Peter Weiss
post #17 of Old 08-30-2012, 12:37 AM

That's why when I lived in Nebraska I never got any commercial jobs I bid on. That is the 'going rate' there and I've never been one to follow any 'going rates'. We used to clean a medical building on the corner of 144 & Center in Omaha and it took my employee 4 hours to clean it (13000sf). I charged $140 x 5 nights per week. Almost 2 years after we were hired the lady that was over the building was FIRED because she hired us! She told me the doctors told her they usually paid $65 per night. They didn't know she was paying us $140 per night. If Jeff would try to charge more he would have no business so he has no choice.

I'll mention names because Jeff might know these people so... back in the summer of 2007 when I still lived in Nebraska Gary D. from Home Reality and I were talking at Eagle Raceway and he told me T. Svboda had a job he needed done.... empty house 2000sf. He had Tom email me and he said.... clean the house, oven is dirty and fridge is dirty.... $35. I wrote back and asked if he left off the '0' at the end... he said no, $35! I never even returned the email. People up there are cheap!
post #18 of Old 08-30-2012, 08:12 AM
J4K

LOL, so true Sprint. Competition here is bad and there are many low ballers now a days. Peter, we pay people an hourly rate.

Tags
supplies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode