I think I'm getting ripped off..Any suggestions? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm getting ripped off..Any suggestions?

I recently bid on a 7 room movie theater. After submitting my bid the Manager told me she wanted us to do the cleaning because we were the most professional but my bid was way too high. She asked if I would do it for $2,000/month ($66 per night). She stated it would be 4 man hours per night/7 nights per week. I figured I wouldn't make much of a profit but a little was better than nothing. Well, after starting, it's taking 9 man hours per night = $7.33/hr. Am I missing something here?
This price is for nightly cleaning, carpet shampooing every 3 months and floor care every 3 months. So, I'm assuming on nights that we clean carpets and do floors it will probably take double that.
I knew I was getting a rotten deal but figured if we could do it in 4 hours I'd be okay and a great way to get some experience with theaters.
What is the best way to approach the manager? I want to be professional and I'm afraid my company is going to look bad if I back out.
I'm not to commercial cleaning as we specialize in turn over cleaning. I've only bid on 2 commercial accounts before, so any help would be appreciated.

What's the normal rate for cleaning a theater that takes 9 man hours? They provide all supplies and paper products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-25-2011, 12:58 AM

I don't do theaters so I can't tell you much, but you can tell the manager that it takes you 9 hours to clean the theater and you need to charge her a new price. If she doesn't want to accept the new price give her a thirty day notice and quit. It's better to quit then loose the money. Do you have a contract with her? Any type of cancellation policy? Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
post #3 of Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 PM

with the carpet and floor care you are most likely making less than minimum wage..
The price just for cleaning and not counting floor care or carpets would be around $4600.00 a month, even that is a low price.
then you would need to add in carpet cleaning and floor care.

I don't know the sq.ft so i can't help on the floor and carpet. but assuming by the speed you might of been moving where your new to commercial, you might of been moving about 3200 sq.ft per hour.
so then the carpet and floor together would be about $1000 per month. just a guess, because i don't know the size.

Do you use a leaf blower to clean each theater? blowing everything down to bottom, then pick it up....

I don't think they picked you because you were the most professional, they seen you coming a mile away and took advantage of you..
you are being ripped off big time.. but since you agreed to it, you did it to yourself.. as alpha said tell them you can not do it for that price
and give them the real price. if they refuse, give notice and walk away..

RJ Cleaning Service Inc
Serving Central Massachusetts
www.rjcleaningservice.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-25-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. There is no contract or agreed upon notice for either party to quit.

We do use a leaf blower and its helps cut down a little on time.

I will be talking to the manager soon and let you know how it goes. I should have went with my gut instead of believing it would only take 4 hours.

Thanks again guys!
post #5 of Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Cleaning View Post

I don't think they picked you because you were the most professional, they seen you coming a mile away and took advantage of you..
you are being ripped off big time.. but since you agreed to it, you did it to yourself.. as alpha said tell them you can not do it for that price
and give them the real price. if they refuse, give notice and walk away..
Being bit is big part of the learning curve, unfortunately. The good thing to remember is that the painful lesson are best remembered.

I'll bet you did a great job and really got the theater in shape for them for peanuts. At least you're not locked into a year contract.
post #6 of Old 02-27-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad View Post
Being bit is big part of the learning curve, unfortunately. The good thing to remember is that the painful lesson are best remembered.

I'll bet you did a great job and really got the theater in shape for them for peanuts. At least you're not locked into a year contract.
Yep I agree, use it as a learning curve and learn from your mistake and move on. Ive been caught out many times especially in the early days too.
post #7 of Old 02-28-2011, 09:13 AM

Movie Theater Rip-Off

If it takes 9 hours to clean, you should be charging at least $150 per cleaning. I would charge $160, myself. Your monthly total should be around $4,800 based upon this calculation. I don't know all the factors for this job. You may be right that the job takes 9 man hours to do. However, what if the manager has a much lower standard of "clean" than you do. What if she was happy with a 4 man hour cleaning? I'm not saying that this IS the case. However, I have "overcleaned" myself. Meaning that I was getting a lot more detailed than the customer expected. Maybe once it's dark in the theater it hides a lot. Are you using a backpack vacuum? That has helped me move a lot faster. If you can't speed up though, and the 9 man hours ARE what is required to clean the place than you need to communicate this to the manager. It's better to lose a job than to be losing money doing a job I have been in this situation before too. There is no shame in telling the manager that you are primarily experienced in rental cleaning and not commercial cleaning. Not that you can't do the job, but that you didn't have the pricing experience.

Jesse

Bremerton Window Cleaning and Janitorial

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode