industrial plant mensroom advice - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By missannienow
  • 1 Post By profcleaning
  • 1 Post By missannienow

post #1 of Old 02-19-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

industrial plant mensroom advice

Hi cleaners, I am the custodian at a factory that runs 24/7 I'm the only custodian and I work M-F 5am-1:30pm.
There's one main restroom with two toilets and two urinals. There's also one other little-known about non-gender-specific restroom tucked away in the shipping office.
I do ok at keeping the ceramic tile floor semi-clean but with it being the main restroom there's always someone walking in when Im mopping.
The floor is hard to sweep because water is usually sprinkled on the floor from the sink or urine from the urinals.

I'm looking for some advice on a better way to clean it.
I wish I could post pictures but my account is to new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-19-2018, 03:57 PM

I do not envy you with this one! Could you put up those triangular "wet floor" signs? Plus directions to the other bathroom??? You cant possibly get a floor clean with people walking on it while wet.

I think what I would do is this and it may sound silly. If the floor is damp, theres not much point in sweeping or vacuuming. I would start mopping, and puishh the junk, hair and trash into piles which I'd pick up with paper towels. Then, after doing that I would truly mop to get it a lot cleaner. UGH! Public bathrooms!
20GTX likes this.
post #3 of Old 02-19-2018, 07:03 PM

YUCK! My very first commercial cleaning job was for the waste management office in our area.All the drivers and the mechanics used this one bathroom.Awful, just awful.
No 1.Wear gloves to your elbows.
I would use a bucket with a disinfectant solution and a stiff brush with a long handle.Dip the brush in the solution
scrub the floor and them mop up the watery mess.(about those gloves)
Put a sign out that says "wet floors, do not enter cleaning in progress" and send them away while you are cleaning you have a job to do to you know.I wouldn't try to clean it between 12-1 because of lunch breaks.

Start Your Cleaning Business the Right Way
20GTX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-20-2018, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

All good ideas. I forgot to mention there is no floor drain.

I suppose I'll just have to tell management that the way I've been doing it really isn't working and at least one a week i should shut it down completely and do the floor correctly.
post #5 of Old 02-20-2018, 07:32 AM

That sounds like a plan. Some of the residential bathrooms I clean are yucky, but my one commercial account was the absolute worst! Even the ladies bathroom was gross. This place used a lot of Bounty paper towels and Charmin toilet paper. Both of those brands leave behind a huge amount of dust. One of the hardest (and ickiest) parts of cleaning those bathrooms was dealing with the huge piles of grayish dust (which vacuums dont seem to remove well). I'd end up mopping it into a pile and then using paper towels to wipe it up. When I left that place, I wanted to launder my shoes!
Glad to dont work for them now.
20GTX likes this.
post #6 of Old 02-24-2018, 06:38 PM

Another idea.A bit of work but you could avoid touching a lot of the ick.
#1 Wear the gloves
#2 mix up the disinfectant and scrub the floors use a little more water with this method with a long-handled stiff brush.
#3 Vacuum the entire wet mess up with a large wet vac
#4 Wheel the wet vac outside and dump it or pull the plug and let it drain.
I have some large wet vacs on wheels and they have a plug way low on the canister so only a few tablespoons of liquid remain once it drains.I can toss in a cup of water and tilt it to remove that small amount.
People can be so gross.
Something I use regularly is those disinfectant wipes.
You can wipe the toilet handle, lift the seat and get the splatter(oh why do we do this work?) and then toss it in the trash.
I don't want urine on my towels that I'm going to handle later with my bare hands.I'd rather toss the messy stuff away instead of dragging it back to my washer and dryer.
Start Your Cleaning Business the Right Way

Last edited by profcleaning; 02-24-2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: misspelled word
post #7 of Old 02-24-2018, 07:29 PM

I have the same problem. Warehouse lots of guys in and out of restroom while cleaning. Place your janitor cart across the door so they cannot enter. My problem was the minute i was finished they were walking on my wet floor making it appear it was never cleaned. I bought a box fan so now the floor dries quickly.
post #8 of Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 AM

LOL!

I agree, humans can be so disgusting. I will never understand those that drop used toilet paper on the floor, who dont flush, who toss trash outside the building onto the sidewalks. I will never get people who toss their cigarette butts onto the ground when there are ashtrays provided.
post #9 of Old 07-08-2018, 01:17 AM

Great information shared . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode