More productivity in office cleaning. - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-14-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

More productivity in office cleaning.

I own a landscaping company and my wife has a small residential house cleaning business. Some of my commercial customers asked for quotes on weekly office cleaning. After doing some research I saw that competitors are charging $200 per month for small office cleaning jobs.(doing the work weekly)

The 2 offices shes doing are less than 600 sqft each. There is not that much clutter at all but the floors get pretty dirty because alot of construction guys are walking through there. (make sure your sitting down) It takes the 2 of them 1.5 hours to clean each office. Yes thats 6 man hours to make less than 100 dollars.

I read on here that a commercial cleaning company should try to clean between 2500sqft and 5000sqft (depending on obstacles etc) per man hour. If thats the case they are 4 to 8 times slower than a typically cleaning company.

I also read in the news paper that a cleaning company was hiring night shift cleaners for $18/hr. Which means they have to be charge more than the $16/ hour my wife is making.

After all that being said:
-Can you give me a time range it could take you to clean a standard 600 sqft office?
-I dont think our pricing is wrong, should they be working alot faster?
-Do you know any good books or training videos that can give them pointers to save time?
-How can the clean more productively?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-15-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

what do you think
post #3 of Old 07-16-2011, 10:29 AM

It's hard to give a time frame how long it should take to clean an office sight unseen. You and your wife may want to revisit the cleaning procedures she uses...she should try to clean from top to bottom...back to front...work her way to the door. Also, if she is going there every week, then she does not have to do everything every time...there is no real point to dusting blinds, ceiling fans, baseboards, etc everytime...if there is not visible dust or dirt on them. These should be monthly or every other week tasks at the most. She can visually inspect these surfaces but if it is not dusty, then she needs to move on to more important tasks.

Next, check her equipment...what type of vacuum is she using? What type of floors are there(carpet, vct, linoelum, etc)? She may not be using the best, most efficient tool for that type of floor.

Pricing - learned from another board that the national franchises will not take a small office for less than $260 per month. So there is a few more $$$ for you.

For more info - cleaning business owners forum...a lot of the poster here post there as well.

Back to the office, how many people work in the office?...how many restrooms? The amount of dirt you have to remove from the office every week. All thought the office may be 600 sq ft, it may have a dirt level that is equal to an office that is 6,000 sq ft. This alone will decrease there productivity drastically. She needs to charge for that!

Hope this helps

Barrett
Cleaning Concierge, LLC
Green Commerical & Residential Cleanings
Serving Greater New Orleans, La Area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

The 2 offices are the same. They both have floating vinyl floors. So they don't use a vac. There are 2 people with 2 desks and they have mechanics coming in and out all day. There is 1 bathroom. All they do is dust and wash the floors and bathroom.
post #5 of Old 07-16-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

I know the jan pro and janiking franchises advertise all small and medium size offices for 199 a month for weekly service as well as a local guy too. I think their problem is overcleaning like
post #6 of Old 07-16-2011, 01:08 PM

That is exactly their problem. Overcleaing can be the a big drain. If there is a desk with papers all over...dust what you can...unless they gave you the approval to move papers...you are not paid to organize someone's desks or file cabinets. If you guys have a contract drawn up with a task list...i would advise them to stick with it. They are losing money on the deal by overcleaning. They have to learn when to give extras and when to do only whats in the contract.

It a task list/frequency schedule can be as simple as this:
weekly
emtpy trash cans/ replace liners
dust accessible desks
clean restrooms
vac/sweep/mop floors
clean all glass
bi-weekly tasks
dust cabinets
monthly tasks
dust ceiling fans
dust air vents
dust artwork
polish furniture

This is just a sample to give your things to discuss with your wife.

Plus, if they have mechanics coming in and out all day...then the grease and oil on the floor maybe a problem over time...now you can upsell them on scrubbing the floor to help remove the build-up on the floor. Mopping alone will not get all of the grease from the floor. This can be a way for you guys add extra $$$ from this account.

Don't let the franchises dictate your price. They can spread the cost of the account over many contracts. Plus, the national franchises are getting paid on both sides...they get money for the contract and money from the franchisee...you guys have to sell the fact that you are not a franchise...top notch customer service...personalized service...what value you can bring to that particular company...

Barrett
Cleaning Concierge, LLC
Green Commerical & Residential Cleanings
Serving Greater New Orleans, La Area
post #7 of Old 07-16-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Well said thanks for your help
post #8 of Old 07-16-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Well said thanks for your help
post #9 of Old 07-22-2011, 06:19 PM

Get rid of both of them. You don't need them. 30 - 45 mins. for each office. Do it yourself. Ask yourself "how much am I worth per hour." Include the cost for supplies and gas mileage. Hope it helps.
post #10 of Old 07-23-2011, 01:26 PM

First off, $16 per hour is low. Very low. If that's all you charge, then all you get is dregs not worthy of being your customers. Personally I will pass on any job that doesn't put at least $30 an hour in my pocket.
Vacuuming can eat up a lot of time. You need a powerful vacuum that is easy to service. Powr-Flite sells vacuums made by Sanitaire and Koblenz. I find it ironic that Sanitaire sells carpet extractors by Mytee, not Powr-Flite/Tacony, but that's another post.
If you are not using commercial equipment, your productivity lags. Perhaps the ultimate vacuum is the Royal. Perhaps the all metal M1059Z. This 10 amp, 18" vacuum really sucks, and I mean that in a good way. Crumbs 6" or more away start to literally shake loose and fly towards the vacuum as it approaches. True one pass cleaning. Think about going over a particular area. Typically you might do it 2-3 times. Not with a Royal. Once is enough. That's a 200-300% increase in productivity right there. 18" is wide. Most units are 12", 14" or maybe 16" wide. Each pass does may 1/3 greater area. Take a $150 12" Hoover and a $600 18" Royal. If it takes 30 minutes to do a room with the Hoover, it will take 10 with the Royal.
If the Royal can save you 1 hour in an 8 hour day, that's an hour you can waste doing more work, but if you really want to do more work, you will not be making much more money. I'd rather spend that 1 hour per day doing more marketing. That makes much more money. You pay a cleaner maybe $12 per hour. A marketing consultant maybe $48 per hour. I pay a worker $12 per hour and do my own marketing, I'm saving $36 per hour right there. If you aren't putting in 5+ hours per week marketing your business, you are heading for big trouble.

Last edited by Your Good Sons; 07-23-2011 at 01:28 PM.
post #11 of Old 08-02-2011, 03:38 AM

If you need a premier showroom at International Market Square for handmade designer rugs, custom rugs, contemporary rugs, traditional area rugs and oriental carpets I hope that it will help you
post #12 of Old 08-12-2011, 02:29 PM

Your good sons, Neclean, CleaningConciergeLLC, gave good advice on this situation to grassguy123. If any body needs help on how to clean professionally, faster, smarter. Go to amazon. There's a book called, Speed Cleaning by Jeff Campbell and The Clean Team. It a good book on how to really clean a place. I purchased it and has taught me things here and there that help. Yuo can get new for ten dollars or less. Or get one used for four dollars to even one penny.
post #13 of Old 08-14-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Good Sons View Post
First off, $16 per hour is low. Very low. If that's all you charge, then all you get is dregs not worthy of being your customers. Personally I will pass on any job that doesn't put at least $30 an hour in my pocket.
Vacuuming can eat up a lot of time. You need a powerful vacuum that is easy to service. Powr-Flite sells vacuums made by Sanitaire and Koblenz. I find it ironic that Sanitaire sells carpet extractors by Mytee, not Powr-Flite/Tacony, but that's another post.
If you are not using commercial equipment, your productivity lags. Perhaps the ultimate vacuum is the Royal. Perhaps the all metal M1059Z. This 10 amp, 18" vacuum really sucks, and I mean that in a good way. Crumbs 6" or more away start to literally shake loose and fly towards the vacuum as it approaches. True one pass cleaning. Think about going over a particular area. Typically you might do it 2-3 times. Not with a Royal. Once is enough. That's a 200-300% increase in productivity right there. 18" is wide. Most units are 12", 14" or maybe 16" wide. Each pass does may 1/3 greater area. Take a $150 12" Hoover and a $600 18" Royal. If it takes 30 minutes to do a room with the Hoover, it will take 10 with the Royal.
If the Royal can save you 1 hour in an 8 hour day, that's an hour you can waste doing more work, but if you really want to do more work, you will not be making much more money. I'd rather spend that 1 hour per day doing more marketing. That makes much more money. You pay a cleaner maybe $12 per hour. A marketing consultant maybe $48 per hour. I pay a worker $12 per hour and do my own marketing, I'm saving $36 per hour right there. If you aren't putting in 5+ hours per week marketing your business, you are heading for big trouble.
I agree completely... in my company $30 or less would literally be doing a job for free. You have to consider so many factors in your bidding. Not to make it more confusing for you, but if you aren't considering payroll, overhead, gas, chemicals, commission, overhead, communication, and other costs you might as well not work that night at all. Above all do what you are best at and don't let people take advantage of your generosity. If your prices are too cheap you will only attract cheap people.

Completely Maid - Residential and Commercial Cleaning and Maid Services

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode