is it possible to do carpet cleaning to make additional money? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-18-2020, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

is it possible to do carpet cleaning to make additional money?

I am just torn between power washing, floor buffing and carpet cleaning. I want to do it part time or a few days out of the week to get my feet wet though. I dont want to quit my job. During these times it sounds like a precarious move... ive thought about this for a long time. I really LOVE cleaning. I started out floor buffing at a hotel, which surprisingly, i really enjoyed. I wouldnt mind doing it for 8 hours. Is carpet cleaning more lucrative and steady though? Is it possible to start out doing it part time? Or a couple long days out of the week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-20-2020, 01:13 PM

My suggestion would be to sign up for Bark.com & ThumbTack.com and focus on hard floor care and carpet cleaning and see how many leads you get from each service. Both of these lead services charge you for the leads you actually contact the customer, but you can see some of the customer details in the lead they send you + you can see how many other service providers have bid on/contacted the customer.

brad bdjanitorial.com
post #3 of Old 05-21-2020, 08:36 PM

My advice would be to get into the field that needs the least amount of capital. That way if it doesnt work out, your not out that much.

As far as getting customers, Im old school. I dont see why anyone would PAY to get leads. Id suggest talking to people to start out. It costs almost nothing.

Carpet cleaning I can help you out on.

Either that or go to truckmountforums.com they have different forums there and you can post your question there. You will get a much better response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-22-2020, 05:26 PM

Let me correct myself on thumbtack.com you only pay if the customer contacts you. The quote below is from thumbtack.com.
it costs nothing to sign and you can advertise your services for specific areas. Say I want to test the market for my services in another town or area near me, so I add my service or services to that area and watch to see how many leads come in for that area and how much competition there is for that area or if I want to test out a new service like tile & grout cleaning, just add that service to my service list and add a target area and watch how many leads come in, if 10 leads come in and the competition is low for those leads then I can decide if it's worth jumping into that market, so far it has cost me nothing other than a few minutes to set up an account on thumbtack...Also with thumbtack I can try out various pricing models and find out which pricing model gets potential customers to contact me and if I set an appointment or have a discussion with that customer then I pay for that lead.

"What is a lead
A lead is a new customer who has seen what you offer and wants to learn more about working with you. You only pay the first time a customer messages you, requests a call or estimate, or asks for your availability. "
post #5 of Old 06-03-2020, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrotto View Post
My advice would be to get into the field that needs the least amount of capital. That way if it doesnt work out, your not out that much.

As far as getting customers, Im old school. I dont see why anyone would PAY to get leads. Id suggest talking to people to start out. It costs almost nothing.

Carpet cleaning I can help you out on.

Either that or go to truckmountforums.com they have different forums there and you can post your question there. You will get a much better response.
Yes this is what I was thinking. That forum sounds like its for people who have the carpet cleaner in their van though?

I just want to get a ramp for an SUV.. a portable unit.. all the chemicals and go door to door, like you said. Advertise locally and using social media.. Maybe go through my relatives. I have worked in a lot of hotels in the area and I know a lot of the managers so.. (I already work in a hotel actually) but obviously that's no guarantee. I mean money is tight. I just want to do the right things in the beginning. The current state of the economy worries me. Do you still get a lot of business because people want to keep things extra clean?

I had a supervisor who told me I should start floor buffing because you can make decent money. After that I looked at stripping and waxing. (Though that's more of a yearly thing, and don't think I could really rely on it.) Carpet cleaning sounds the most essential. Is it hard to get in with local apartment complexes? To talk to real estate agents? I only think I have a little advantage because I know a lot of the hotel managers in the area. Lol my hotel needs it baddd because of spring break and this is a heavy traffic vacation town. I've never done it before. I just want to make sure I get the right chemicals for the right kind of carpet. I want to be able to identify the carpets match the chemicals anywhere obviously.

Most importantly can I get work in this economy? //Can I do it part time with my current job?// My current hotel says they want to wait until fall when they've got the money.. I am thinking maybe get my rig and do it for free and take great photos. Bad idea? Lemme know. Thanks for replying.

Last edited by sealant1; 06-03-2020 at 03:55 AM.
post #6 of Old 06-03-2020, 03:56 AM

Is it possible to find such a job during a pandemic? will customers accept your services?
post #7 of Old 06-04-2020, 08:00 PM

That forum sounds like its for people who have the carpet cleaner in their van though?

that website has many forums. One is for Portable Carpet Cleaning. That may be exactly what you are looking for.

They have forums for Janitorial, Power Washing and lots more all on one site!

Good luck!

Last edited by mrotto; 06-04-2020 at 08:03 PM.
post #8 of Old 06-04-2020, 08:01 PM

Is it possible to find such a job during a pandemic? will customers accept your services?

yes, absolutely.

I have been cleaning carpet since 1981. April I didnt clean at all. Now Im trying to play catchup. Super busy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode