Scrubber leaving streaks on painted concrete floor - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CoastClean

post #1 of Old 09-19-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Scrubber leaving streaks on painted concrete floor

Hi All

I am experiencing problems when scrubbing a painted concrete floor. Does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome this?

I scrub a painted concrete floor in a retail trade shop once a month. I use a machine to scrub the floor with water only. The scrubber has a squeegee and a vacuum to remove the dirty water.

When I empty the dirty water from the machine it is almost black! The floor looks OK before scrubbing but it really is dirty. Last night I wet a cloth and wiped the floor and the cloth was black. So the floor does have a lot of dirt.

Before scrubbing I dry mop the floor to remove any debris. Then I scrub moving up and down the isles. When I have finished, there seems to be a white film or white streaks along the floor.

I have tried following the scrubber with a mop and that seems to help a little but it still leaves streaks.

The scrubber works very well on other jobs (e.g. tiled floors) with no such problem. The scrubber is cleaned thoroughly before each job.

I have considered that perhaps we need to scrub more frequently or use a different machine (e.g. one with rollers rather than the rotary scrubber).

Any ideas will be appreciated.
CameronRobertson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-08-2019, 02:52 PM

Hi

The machine could be fitted with the wrong squeegee. Or the squeegee could be damaged and is losing water. Or the surface that you wash is very uneven - for a squeegee to work well has to be flat. One of those reasons 100%

I was washing my shop with a taski scrubber and the floor was all steaks and marks. I have discovered that the squeegee was way to soft and it was not attaching to the floor. Changed the squeegee and the problem was sorted. I also had problems with small sand particles getting stock in the squeegee so i start vacuuming before washing the floor. Problem resolved.

Commercial & Domestic Carpet Cleaning Services
post #3 of Old 10-08-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been using a static mop to remove surface dirt etc. I use the same machine on a tiled floor and it works perfectly. The polished and painted concrete floor has indents, swirls etc in the concrete. Perhaps that's part of the problem too.

Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-15-2019, 07:53 AM

I deal with dirty concrete all the time. I service a large grocery store chain and with the amount of traffic that goes through the back shop, the concrete gets nasty.

There are several things I would check:
1) Note if the streaks appear the moment you start scrubbing, or after a certain distance. If the problem appears after a certain distance, stop the scrubber, remove the squeegee, and look to see if there is dirt buildup between the blade and the frame. Any dust that isnt fully removed from the concrete when dust moping can build up and cause streaks on the concrete.

2) Check the evenness of the floor. If there are many high and low spots, I personally find that instead of having the squeegee at a 45 degree angle to the floor, lowering the angle to 25-30 degrees tends to cause less streaking. Make sure you don't over lower the blade, or you will leave pools of water behind.

3) Check the amount of water you are supplying to the floor. The more, the merrier. When working with VCT, a moderate amount of water tends to take off most dirt, but on a heavily soiled concrete floor, you want as much water on the floor as your autoscrubber will supply. The more dirt you emulsify, the less is being dragged on the floor and causing streaks. In fact, double scrubbing (one pass with just the pads and water, another pass with the squeegee, pads and water) is the most effective way to bring up the dirt.

Finally, be sure you are using the right equipment: pads are great on VCT floors, but they do not do a stellar job on concrete. Use brushes instead. They will get into all the little nooks and crannies and agitate the dirt that dust mopping can't remove. The key is to get all the particulate emulsified in the water so that the squeegee doesn't drag it along and cause streaks.

Hopefully this helps.
post #5 of Old 10-24-2019, 04:17 AM

Sobey gave some solid advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode