Small business insurance - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-07-2014, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Small business insurance

It seems I am having trouble getting insurance for my business. I don't really understand why no one is returning my phone calls. I have tried 3 insurance agents now and only one has returned my call. I am starting a cleaning and
lawn service. I have been cleaning for years but never to the extent that I am going into. My son already does lawn/landscaping so we are going into business together he will provide the lawn/landscaping and I will provide the janitorial side of the business. When I told this to the local agent she said she would return my call but I have yet to hear back from her. Is there something I am missing? Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-07-2014, 04:46 PM

The people that you contacted don't know how to write it up so they are avoiding you. When looking for an agent, ask them if they have any experience writing policies for what you do.
post #3 of Old 11-14-2014, 08:31 AM

Went through the same thing when i started. Write them off and move on. Find several local agents and get quotes. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-30-2014, 01:26 PM

An Insurance policy mitigates your risk, small business insurance is just about the most important factors within your strategic business plan. For this you need to speak to experienced insurance agents with regards to your businesses requirements.
post #5 of Old 12-08-2014, 12:01 PM

How many employees do you have? When I started out, it was impossible to get insurance quotes because I (the owner) was the only person doing the work. Also, many insurance companies like to know you've been in business for 2 years or so, and base the premiums off of your company's revenue. It took me a while to find a company to insure just myself, but USLI insured my company. I have to pay a flat fee per employee until I have 2 years of revenue to show, then the premium will be based on my sales. Maybe they can help you?
post #6 of Old 12-28-2014, 11:13 AM
f&s

Best is to find someone local. Ask around. Not everyone knows how to write these policies.
post #7 of Old 01-13-2015, 11:06 AM

I had the same problem a year ago. I tried calling in and that didn't work since most that receive the calls know little about writing policies so I went in and asked for the more experienced agents. That went surprisingly well and so I went to 3 more, got some good quotes and went for the best one.

-Paul

__________________________________________________ _______________
Home Cleaning Service ND
Visit www.northlandwholesale.com and enjoy massive daily discounts on office and cleaning supplies!
post #8 of Old 01-14-2015, 12:06 AM

I find it very odd that people have so much trouble finding insurance and their prices are so high. My buddy and I were talking about this the other day because he has to get a new insurance agent. He had an easy time getting it and only pays like $560 a year. He does commercial janitorial and floor work along with some maintenance (replacing bulbs and painting). I had to get my first insurance in 1999... walked in.... gave me what I wanted... payed $22 and walked out. Was billed $22 each month. The other day a guy came in to our appliance store (aka 2 car garage) and was an insurance guy. I told him I was starting up a house cleaning business again... he told me it would be $400 a year. So next week I'll stop by and give him the $400 and be set. I've been on these boards since 1998 and everyone is always having trouble finding it and getting good deals on it.
post #9 of Old 01-14-2015, 04:46 PM

I have only one company willing to provide us with an insurance policy so if they change their mind in the future, I am screwed! New cleaning services that I work with have an easy time and it is usually around $500.00 - $600.00 per year.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
post #10 of Old 01-14-2015, 05:11 PM

When I was owner operator it was less than $80 a month or something. Now I need $4 Million Dollar policy for certain jobs...
post #11 of Old 01-25-2015, 01:20 PM

Insurance policy?

I got my policy from Nationwide, only pay $50 a month. They were the ONLY company that would accept me, most wanted mt business active for at least 2 years before they approved.
post #12 of Old 01-25-2015, 02:13 PM

This is just an idea because I've never tried them for business, we have our identity theft insurance through them, but google Zander Insurance or go to the link below (I'll find it and post the link). I bet if they can't help you find business insurance for your company, they can find someone that will.

http://www.zanderins.com/other/business.aspx

Zander personal identity theft protection is the only REAL protection anyone should pay for. And it's only like $75 per year instead of the high price the others charge for only one month and still are useless. Identity theft can NEVER be prevented no matter what any company will tell you. What Zander does is save you weeks/months/years of hassle trying to fix your life after someone steals it. They assign you a case worker and the case worker handles all the hours of hassle for you. The other insurance companies call you up and say.... sorry dude but you got your identity stolen... good luck with that. Keep sending us a check.

Last edited by sprintcar93; 01-25-2015 at 02:18 PM.
post #13 of Old 02-19-2015, 09:07 PM

I don't believe you will be able to have a lawn business and a cleaning business under the same insurance policy.
They are 2 very different businesses.

Go into the insurance office to talk to someone,skip the phone calling.

http://selz.co/1Eq7peH
post #14 of Old 12-10-2015, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice

[QUOTE=Lorster;57937]I don't believe you will be able to have a lawn business and a cleaning business under the same insurance policy.
They are 2 very different businesses.

Go into the insurance office to talk to someone,skip the phone calling.

Actually I took your advice and after speaking with the insurance ppl we end up figuring out how to get around this issue. Rather than listing our business specifically under janitorial services we went with contractor services which is what the insurance man suggested this allowed us to offer a variety of services under our insurance plan however since then I have branched off from that business and gone solely under janitorial services. Our son now operates that business so it worked out for all of us in the end
post #15 of Old 12-10-2015, 03:04 AM

Exclamation Insurance

www(dot)insurancebee(dot)com dude. they will take care of you, very affordable and fast. Professional staff, etc.
post #16 of Old 12-11-2015, 08:15 AM

I never liked changing insurance companies,but when you are in business it pays to check other insurers every 2-3 years.

Keeps you in tune with what's going on out there with insurance,plus let's you know if the pricing you are currently paying is competitive.

However,and I know when you're busy this can be so annoying,but...you need to actually visit their office otherwise you are just another phone call.

If you want to wrap up your insurance query quick and gather any new information that you may not presently be aware of...go to their office.

Some policies are available online,but if you need certificates to present to clients it might be best to have a good relationship with someone at your local insurance company.

Beyond the initial signup,certificates can typically be generated via their website.

post #17 of Old 12-23-2015, 08:18 PM

The Hartford Insurance has been great for my commercial cleaning business. Also auto insurance. Try them out! thehartford.com
post #18 of Old 12-24-2015, 11:02 AM

Number one...always use an A rated company

We always assume that if we have an incident the claim will be paid...not always.
If the insurance company thinks that it is a result of the work that you did and NOT AN ACCIDENT...then they call it 'work product'(or similar) and it is not covered.

Here's an example-let's say you clean a guys windows and they get scratched because you are using a scrub pad to get the bugs or paint off. The insurance company may say that your method caused the scratches so it's not an accident but rather 'work product'
OR

You were cleaning the windows,the ladder fell over and broke your customers glass top table...that is considered an accident.

See the difference

Be very careful when reporting a claim.Report it and don't get all chatty.

post #19 of Old 12-24-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Lorster;89858]Number one...always use an A rated company

How would I search for A rated insurance companies? Currently I have shelter insurance.
post #20 of Old 12-24-2015, 07:52 PM

simply ask the company that you have bought your policy with...they can tell you if the insurer is A rated or not

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode