My company makes many fire damage repairs
, and while it's always a good idea to contact professionals, here are some cleaning tips you can do in the meantime.
1. Roll up all of your oriental rugs to prevent them from being damaged further.
2. Discard all open food packages, as they could be contaminated.
3. If your electricity is off, clean out your fridge and freezer. Leave the doors open or place charcoal in the unit.
4. If any of your clothing needs fire damage repair
, send them to a clothing company that specializes in treating smoke damage.
5. Clean Forrnica and chrome features in your kitchen and bathrooms to make sure that they aren't permanently tarnished. It's also a good idea to do this to porcelain bath fixtures to prevent any etching.
6. Change your air filter on your furnace if it uses forced hot air. To catch soot coming out of your air outlet, tape cheesecloth over the intake.
7. Open your windows and leave them open--best way to rid a house of odor.
8. Don't wait to contact help. The longer the fire damage sits, the harder it will be to get rid of.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!