Start up costs - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-24-2011, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Start up costs

I'm looking for some rough estimates of the start up cost of a commercial cleaning business. I am limited in what I can purchase initially, so i'm targeting clients in offices of 2000 sq ft or less. I know that's limited information to go on, so feel free to help me specify. I will check back often.

Thanks.

If you can't feed 100, feed just one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-24-2011, 10:33 AM

Liability insurance call your agent
Workers Comp ask the same insurance agent
That's about a grand right there. If you don't have that, find a job as a cleaner, it will pay better.
post #3 of Old 07-24-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Good Sons View Post
Liability insurance call your agent
Workers Comp ask the same insurance agent
That's about a grand right there. If you don't have that, find a job as a cleaner, it will pay better.
Excellent point I hadn't thought of.

Yea, I can do a few thousand in start up cost, I'm just somewhat of a miser (read: my wife is a real cheapskate), so every penny will be squeezed. I was specifically thinking of equipment/chemicals in my original post, but other necessary costs would be helpful too. Thanks YGS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-24-2011, 03:35 PM

Well

You can get away with under 300 for just doing office cleaning. Not counting INS, Bond. Get a good vac for about 150, the rest in chems, mops, buckets. Go to Home Depot for chems and stuff. Look on the web for other stuff, Jon Don.com or Powrflite for a good vac. Dont use something you can buy at Wally Mart. How pro looking is that. Image is everything.
post #5 of Old 07-24-2011, 04:47 PM

Powr Flite Vacuums are Sanitaire or Koblenz. Both are good brands. So are Hoover Commercial. If you can squeeze out $400-600 Royal may be the best. A more powerful vac picks up dirt in one pass. Dirt starts moving towards a Royal about 6" before it gets there.
Scam brands like Orek and Dyson need 2-3 passes. That really slows you down. This is one of my favorites.
Nothing wrong with turning to your local Home Depot or Lowes for supplies in less than case quantities.
post #6 of Old 08-10-2011, 08:20 PM

To shamrock. This is what you need. First you need a business licencse, insurance, HOME OCCUPATION PERMIT, don't forget that, bonding. I live in virginia so i'll give you the price done here. You are going to have to find the price in your area. business license:$23, insurance minimal:$40, home occupation permit:$25, bonding: that I don't know.

THe reason i upper case is that some people don't know about it. Like me. IF your going to operate your business in yuor home to begin with, you may need a home occupation permit. If you do and don't get one, you could get caught and into trouble. Go to city hall and find out if you need one or not. Lucky me, city hall denied me to get a permit. So i couldn't run my business.

Second you need supplies. I'll give you a list of things that you will most likely need. THan you put a price because prices wont be same everywhere. So jot a price by the list of things i write and then sum it up for your total.

One upright vaccum cleaner with bags and a 50 ft cord, one 26 quart mop bucket casters(wheels), one mop wringer for the mop bucket, one mop with mop handle with a gripper style, one commercial trash can with wheels(either a 32 gallon or 44 gallon container, get a tray and trash can apron, one broom, one dust mop, get a cone style sanitary toliet bowl brush, a couple of spray bottle, get small trash can liner (24 by 33), large trash bags(40 by 48), many cloths, all purpose cleaner, windex, pinesol, toliet bowel cleaner, gloves.

THat should be it. JUst put a price by each item then sum it up. Don't go out get a expense vaccum. Don't spend money you don't have. And have your manager of the place your cleaning come out with a stupid excuse for not being a able to pay on time. Get one that can do the job. Have money flowing in first. Then go buy your expensive toys.

Last edited by nikon; 09-01-2011 at 09:36 AM.
post #7 of Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 AM
J4K

If you are doing the work yourself then there is no need for workers comp insurance. I would not worry about the bonding unless a customer states you have to have it. After all if it is just you then you should be able to control theft right
For small offices any vacuum will do to get you started. When I first started I had a $60 dirt devil that lasted me over 2 years. As you grow your business there is always time to purchase better equipment down the road.
As far as permits, check locally, some require them others do not. Good luck!
post #8 of Old 08-11-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4K View Post
If you are doing the work yourself then there is no need for workers comp insurance. I would not worry about the bonding unless a customer states you have to have it. After all if it is just you then you should be able to control theft right
For small offices any vacuum will do to get you started. When I first started I had a $60 dirt devil that lasted me over 2 years. As you grow your business there is always time to purchase better equipment down the road.
As far as permits, check locally, some require them others do not. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply....and your exactly right.

post #9 of Old 08-17-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon View Post
To shamrock. This is what you need. First you need a business licencse, insurance, HOME OCCUPATION PERMIT, don't forget that, bonding. I live in virginia so i'll give you the price done here. You are going to have to find the price in your area. business license:$23, insurance minimal:$40, home occupation permit:$25, bonding: that I don't know.

THe reason i upper case is that some people don't know about it. Like me. IF your going to operate your business in yuor home to begin with, you may need a home occupation permit. If you do and don't get one, you could get caught and into trouble. Go to city hall and find out if you need one or not. Lucky me, city hall denied me to get a permit. So i couldn't run my business.

Second you need supplies. I'll give you a list of things that you will most likely need. THan you put a price because prices wont be same everywhere. So jot a price by the list of things i write and then sum it up for your total.

One upright vaccum cleaner with bags and a 50 ft cord, one 26 quart mop bucket casters(wheels), one mop wringer for the mop bucket, one mop with mop handle with a gripper style, one commercial trash can with wheels(either a 32 gallon or 44 gallon container, get a tray and trash can apron, one broom, one dust mop, get a cone style sanitary toliet bowl brush, a couple of spray bottle, get small trash can liner (24 by 33), large trash bags(40 by 48), many cloths, all purpose cleaner, windex, pinesol, toliet bowel cleaner, gloves.

THat should be it. JUst put a price by each item then sum it up. Don't go out get a expense vaccum. Don't spend money you don't have. And have your manager of the place your cleaning come out with a stupid excuse for not being a able to pay on time. Get one that can do the job. Have money flowing in first. Then go buy your expensive toys.
I have no idea how I missed such an information rich post....thank you very much. The wife and I are currently "debating" the best type of vacuum. She wants cheap. I want quality. My point to her is that if I can save myself 30 minutes per site with a quality vacuum, and I have four sites to clean per week, that's two hours of time with her and our family. And really, can you put a price on that.

Again, thanks for this reply. It's going to get printed.

post #10 of Old 08-31-2011, 05:32 PM

Im happy to to here you like my post. If you believe with the decision with a more expensive vacuum is best. Then its a right a decision for you. I can give you all the numbers about the business but can't say anything but your family. Plus I'm a young guy still, I don't have family nore do I look forward for one yet. That is the best I can say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode