vct floor stripping/finishing - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-02-2015, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

vct floor stripping/finishing

curious if i was to buff each coat of finish before applying another would it bring the shine up that much more or is it a waste of my time

and i have read that some dip their finishing mop in water ring out then in wax before applying each coat why mix with water and not just use the wax what is the purpose for using the water ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-17-2015, 09:29 PM

hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmartwaxing View Post
curious if i was to buff each coat of finish before applying another would it bring the shine up that much more or is it a waste of my time

and i have read that some dip their finishing mop in water ring out then in wax before applying each coat why mix with water and not just use the wax what is the purpose for using the water ?
idk if your still looking for an answer to this but here you go,
i have personally found the only time buffing after a coat helps is when you are laying hevier coats or your finall coat to harden the surface before g-ma decides to drag her walker across the floor.

as for the water wax trick it will leangthen the dry time i only use it if my floor is drying to fast. it will come in handy when you are in a heavily whinded area. i personally do not use a string mop anymore i have moved on to a jug and flat mop system seems cleaner to me. hope this gives some insight.
post #3 of Old 06-18-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefloortech View Post
idk if your still looking for an answer to this but here you go,
i have personally found the only time buffing after a coat helps is when you are laying hevier coats or your finall coat to harden the surface before g-ma decides to drag her walker across the floor.

as for the water wax trick it will leangthen the dry time i only use it if my floor is drying to fast. it will come in handy when you are in a heavily whinded area. i personally do not use a string mop anymore i have moved on to a jug and flat mop system seems cleaner to me. hope this gives some insight.
thank you for the info and yeah i learned it was a waste of my time after a few nights buffing each coat only do the last 1 now. when it comes to equipment im kind of limited to what is available to me i would love to have some of the stuff out there but i use a walk behind speed scrubber usually have to apply stripper down 2 times minimum its pre mixed so not to strong so its a pain some nights still working on my blending seeing i can only do so much in 6 hours if you been in walmart i do 4 to 5 isles a night and carry the back end around as well our store is 200,000 sq ft i use the old white/blue candy loop end finishing mop i usually apply 1 generous coat and 4 light coats of Johnson Signature Ultra High Speed Floor Finish i really enjoy what i do and getting tips and tricks on this topic is kind of rough you really gotta dig around for it lol but learning with trial and error as i go been doing it a year now managers love my work they see a mirror shine but i see every mistake that was made im hard on myself but my name is stamped on it so i strive for perfection so any info is very appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 06-18-2015, 11:26 PM

do you guys use only diversey products? what stripper do you use?
post #5 of Old 06-19-2015, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Only use Johnson diversey stripper and wax actually going over the supply list this morning to get what i need it took alot to get the floors fixed before I got here they used (only) concrete sealer on the tile

Last edited by walmartwaxing; 06-19-2015 at 08:55 AM.
post #6 of Old 06-28-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

best way to cut in sections

have any input on edges i have to make alot of cut ins usually just use a walk behind but not a clean line bet after a few mistakes the best way for me is laying water 1 above your cut stripper on what your working in pull it back run water line and use a side2side has a pretty clean look but im always open for something new to try lol also this was my latest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anightswork.jpg (73.3 KB, 2 views)
post #7 of Old 06-29-2015, 08:05 AM

I find buffing in between coats helps cure the wax and give the floor a little extra shine. You will receive mixed opinions on this concept. It helped me when working in the hospital, if I didn't buff after the last coat when I had to roll the computer chairs or equipment across the newly waxed floor it left dirt lines. 3m suggests buffing in between every coat. As far as the edges a good baseboard stripper with a good blade and corner pad works good for us. We use diversely concentrated stripper and usually lay it once. I always give the stripper enought time to do its job before scrubbing. Let the chemicals and machine do the work for you. Hope this helps you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode