Vinyl Tile Floor Mared - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-07-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Vinyl Tile Floor Mared

I have a two year old floor that has never been waxed. Don't no the brand, but its black with white specks.When chairs and any thing heavy is moved across the floor it leaves a scratch or scuff mark on the floor. I'm using Zep commercial floor cleaner and a mop. Looks great when its wet, but all the scratches and scuffs show back up when it drys. How can I remove the scratches and scuff marks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-07-2018, 09:21 AM

LOL! I suspect you DO have a wax build up. I have another thread that I started when I tried to clean a tile floor that wax (Mop and Gl most likely) was used on.

What I have learned (the hard way) is this: Does water BEAD on the floor when you mop it??? That is strong evidence that a waxy product was used.

In my humble opinion, waxy products should never be used on viny tile floors or any sort of stone or ceramic tile floors.

Some years ago, I used Mop and Gl on my own floor, not knowing any better. Over time the floor looked sort of yellow, and I had the same problem you describe: scuff marks showed and it just did not look good. I will NEVER use that sort of product again unless someone insists on it.

You could try using some other product, one made specifically for vinyl floors. It could be that the stuff you are using is not meant to clean your sort of floor well. In my work, I often have to change products depending on how the persons floor looks after I clean it the first time. Not sure why this is so - but it is.
post #3 of Old 08-07-2018, 11:09 PM
gcs

[QUOTE=missannienow;164749]LOL! I suspect you DO have a wax build up. I have another thread that I started when I tried to clean a tile floor that wax (Mop and Gl most likely) was used on.

What I have learned (the hard way) is this: Does water BEAD on the floor when you mop it??? That is strong evidence that a waxy product was used.

In my humble opinion, waxy products should never be used on viny tile floors or any sort of stone or ceramic tile floors.

VCT is suppose to have finish applied for maintenance purposes. Did you mean laminated flooring, possibly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-07-2018, 11:19 PM
gcs

If VCT strip (if needed) w/black pad & apply finish. However, its been my experience that finish/wax will scuff if a chair or anything heavy is slid across it. Hard as nails is a good product but it won't stop a heavy weighted object from marking up the floor. We have a few buildings that this frequently occurs in. Not much we can do about it though other than spray buff to help w/maintaining the floors. There are sleeves for chair legs to help protect the floor but these wear quickly, or so that has been my experience. Hope this helps
post #5 of Old 08-08-2018, 08:18 AM

No. Not laminate. Tile, both stone and vinyl.
Laminate floors need an entirely different approach.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode