cedar siding shingles - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

cedar siding shingles

We've lived in this home for 1.5 years, I think the previous owners stained it since I can see brush strokes at the top. I hate the black moldy areas so I'm attempting to clean it.
Some advice please. I've sprayed an oxy bleach solution on the shingles, (approx 4 tablespoon per gallon of water, and some dishwasher detergent) let it sit for 30 min, and then hosed it off. I used a brush to scrub the very black areas. I'm not looking for perfection, just no mold.
how many times should I bleach?
Should I use an oxalic acid brightener after too?
Any advice on which preservative/semi stain to use?
I've read that baker's gray away works well. Specifically, shane b's work. the woodsaver from tx.

Thanks for your help,

pic 1 after
pic 2 before bleaching

also, how do i get rid of all the red stain, seen under the overhang to the far left of pic 3, is that the tannic acid of cedar shingles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shingles af1.JPG (50.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg before.JPG (4.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg shingles af4.JPG (63.4 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Chanstero; 03-22-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode