Rusting windows - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 06-01-2018, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Rusting windows

My house is a little bit old. It has metal case windows. The windows are rusting nowadays so fastly. Can you share some tips to remove the rust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-01-2018, 07:36 AM

There are chemicals that will help remove it but personally, I dont want to use them. NOT healthy! What I did, and it is labor intensive, was use steel wool to scrub off the rust. A Brillo soap pad would work just as well. Maybe someone else has some good ideas.
post #3 of Old 07-17-2018, 02:51 AM

I use the WD40 home product and the truth is that it works very well. Even so, it is not an easy job, you have to take time and take great care not to damage the windows.

Hope it works for you!

Fabricación y comercialización de equipamiento para la higiene industrial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-06-2018, 06:53 AM

There are many ways to get rid of rust which use everyday household products that you probably already have. To begin with, you’ll need a scrub brush, rubber gloves to protect your hands and a spray bottle. You can use products like bleach, borax, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, etc. Spray or apply it to the rust. Wait for 10-15 minutes and scrub appropriately. You can Scrape off the corrosion on the window case with a wire brush. However, if the rust is spread over a larger area, it's always better to call in a professional.
post #5 of Old 08-06-2018, 07:21 AM

That is good advice. The INISIDE of my windows were rusty and (in the kitchen) covered with grease from the previous tenant. I spent days trying to scrape all the mess off. Pretty successful too. I used steel wool (actually Brillo pads!) and a stiff scrub brush. I chose not to use any harsh chemicals and didnt need to. It just took elbow grease!
post #6 of Old 10-12-2018, 02:33 AM

Yeah very true. BTW nice advice.
post #7 of Old 10-12-2018, 07:51 AM

By the way, the Libman Company makes excellent scrub brushes. They are easily available in grocery stores or places like Walmart. I bought one (a small one) to do those windows and that was 6 years ago. The brushes are STILL excellent after many heavy use jobs.
post #8 of Old 10-13-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan911 View Post
There are many ways to get rid of rust which use everyday household products that you probably already have. To begin with, you’ll need a scrub brush, rubber gloves to protect your hands and a spray bottle. You can use products like bleach, borax, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, etc. Spray or apply it to the rust. Wait for 10-15 minutes and scrub appropriately. You can Scrape off the corrosion on the window case with a wire brush. However, if the rust is spread over a larger area, it's always better to call in a professional.
Hi,
Great advice to get rid of Window rust.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode