Stain restoration - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 06-05-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Stain restoration

Hey Guys. Jumped over here from the paint side. Couple of questions on stain restoration. Don't work alot with stain so i'm trying to get a little info. Have a couple of stained doors that we will be looking at in a few days and not sure what the best way to approach this. Homeowner wants the doors re-stained, only exterior sides. One has some scrathes from dogs, thinking to deep to to fix those. Both have 12 small panels of glass.

I'm under the impression when re-staining doors, they must be sanded down to raw, or use a chemical stripper, wash down with lacquer thinner and restain. Or give a lite sanding and just give a coat of spar varnish and call it a day.

What do you guys look for or test for when looking at previously stained work. Any thoughts would be grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-03-2007, 11:12 AM

If its a solid stain you can clean and use Sikkens Rubbol, anything else you would need to strip or sand first.
post #3 of Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 AM

I have seen traditional clear finishes and plastic parts on doors melt from the sun's heat. Acid rain, ultraviolet light, and other atmospheric pollutants simply erode clear finishes on fiberglass doors, polished brass and many other outdoor items. The key to minimizing restoration work lies in keeping up with the clear coatings.

Get more : http://www.areal.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-10-2010, 05:45 PM

When dealing with re-stained doors, you can just sand it and use the same material as on the first coating. Because if you will sue different material it might not match to the first coating.
post #5 of Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 AM

After wiping down the door thoroughly to remove any dust, I used a sponge brush to apply a Minwax pre-stain conditioner solution to the door surface.

After letting the pre-stain soak in for about 10 minutes I wiped the excess solution off of the door with a rag. The pre-stain solution helps to ensure an even penetration of the stain into the wood surface.

After wiping down the door of any excess pre-stain conditioner, I then used a sponge brush to apply a Minwax stain to the door surface. Immediately after staining the door I wiped it down with a clean and dry rag.
post #6 of Old 11-02-2011, 12:50 AM

Scrape off the burnt or charred finish and wood. Use a sharp knife or a paint-scraper razor blade in its holder. As in all fine wood work, work with the grain. Don't scrape across the grain. Scrape in the direction of the grain. Use fine sandpaper to smooth the scraped surface. If the burn was deep, you'll need to fill it with plastic wood, which will also need to be stained to match the rest of the wood and sanded. After you've scraped and sanded (and filled-in if needed) the burn, wax your floor as normal.
post #7 of Old 02-28-2013, 11:51 PM

Before beginning the cleanup process, you required to examine how badly these things damage your home. Use clean water and mild detergent you may even wish to scrub them with a small brush if required. You should repeat whole process until it get totally cleaned.

post #8 of Old 02-09-2014, 05:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to bryanphillips Send a message via Skype™ to bryanphillips
Hello, use Sikkens Rubbol , it will clean up the stain completely .
post #9 of Old 02-10-2014, 12:51 AM

Removing stain is the tough work for everybody.To deal this, we need the best product with less effort. So, try hydra product that gives instant result.
post #10 of Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 AM

You can hand sand the doors yourself. This will of course require more work but is more cost efficient than most other solutions. Make sure you clean in between the wood planks and gaps before you sand. After you have finished sanding apply a semi gloss poly to add a great finish.
post #11 of Old 08-13-2014, 06:22 AM

I agree with maryancell001, you will have to hand sand the doors well for a good result.
post #12 of Old 04-24-2015, 01:23 AM

Professional Carpet Systems of Fort Lauderdale services are happy to announce that the company offers full time water damage restoration services. Water damage measures are the company’s responsibility.
Professional Carpet Systems of Fort Lauderdale, Florida are one of the most reputed and experienced companies that offer the best cleaning systems in town.

http://www.pcsfortlauderdale.com/water-damage.php
Water Damage Restoration
post #13 of Old 08-19-2015, 02:28 AM

Removing stain is the tricky work for everyone. There are many questions that come to mind when the subject of cleaning carpet and removing stains comes up, but the most sensible solution is relatively simple. In this situation, you should hire a Stain Removal Experts, as hiring a professional is the safest, fastest and easiest option. I am also specialized in restoration services and we guarantee the removal of wood stains, rust, burns, pet stains and odors. Nice post.
post #14 of Old 10-10-2015, 03:13 AM

If it is hard core job to clean out that solid stain then i suggest you to hire some professional for this.They have fastest tricks to remove that kind of stains.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode