Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum - Reply to Topic
Thread: 1st home possible MOLD =FREAKING OUT Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
11-20-2018 12:31 PM
AplusM Unfortunately, you can't really tell from the surface if the mold has reached the drywall without professional evaluation. The good part is that many mold remediation companies, like A+ Mold Remediation, offer testing. And, free quotes for remediation. It may be a good idea to call mold remediation companies near you for a professional testing service that can let you know more about potential mold growth you may not see with the naked eye.
10-19-2018 03:26 AM
pejmanlevian I really value this post. . .
08-28-2018 10:21 AM
justinedwards First, you want to make sure the mold isn't cause from an active water leak. One way to do this is to purchase a moisture meter (home depot sells them around $30). Next, take a sheet of paper and draw a grid on it that represents the wall you're going to test. You're going to want to test the wall every three feet. Start at the top and work your way down making a note on your grid of the moisture levels. This will give you a good idea if there is a leak behind the wall. You'll see a pattern in the moisture levels. This way, you'll have an idea if you need to open up any walls or if the mold if simply caused by moisture in the air. If you believe the mold is being caused by a leak, you will need to call a professional remediation company unless you feel prepared to do it yourself.

If the mold is caused by excessive moisture there are a few ways to treat it. Run your air conditioner, this will help to dry out the air. Check your filters and keep them up to date. You may want to treat the unit with a Mold Bomb Fogger from BioCide Labs. If you call them, they will walk you through the whole process.

Mold is everywhere indoors as well as outdoors. The problem is when the conditions are right and they start to feed and colonize. Treat this with extreme caution because mold has the potential to make you very, very sick. Using bleach or natural products to treat mold only contributes to the problem. Most species of mold is spores are chlorine resistant and the bleach will turn it translucent but does not kill it. The mold will always return. You need to treat your environment with a biocide that has anti-funal, anti-microbial elements. The company that sells the mold bombs make a kit that will treat your entire home. Give Biocide labs a call and they will help you get the correct product and walk you through all the steps. This is a much cheaper alternative to hiring a remediation company.

BUT...if you feel like you're in over your head, go ahead and call in the pros. Like I said before, mold is serious and needs to be remediated asap. Do not take a chance with your health.
08-22-2018 03:00 AM
Sta-Clean I also have the same problem please help me out.
08-21-2018 04:12 PM
shannon-22 That definitely looks like mold to me. I've seen that colour in a number of homes :/
08-06-2018 07:05 AM
Titan911 Yes, that looks like mold. It is often caused by humidity and lack of ventilation. They can also be caused by a water leak inside the walls or above the ceilings. Make sure you fix that first. These can spread over larger areas if left untreated. It is good that you observed it in time and cleaned it up. However, keep checking for mold because it may reappear. A lot of DIY methods only kill surface mold. Removing visible mold isnít enough. Mold has to be remediated and a professional service might be the best option for you.
07-26-2018 02:13 PM
Bradfish From the pictures you provided, that looks like it's just surface mold.

If you have the ability to rent tools, use a moisture meter to see if the walls are wet.

If you don't want to hire an expensive mold inspector, you can also use a do it yourself mold test such as MyMoldDetective.

Hope that helps!
04-11-2018 08:11 AM
missannienow I would keep on researching this online, to learn as much as I could, and I would still call some mold remediation companies and see what they have to say. I have heard that if it is mold you wiped off, in a short time it will just re-appear.

My last home went through back to back hurricanes years back. The first took the shingles off, the second took the tarpaper off in many places. It was raining inside! My boyfriend was a roofer, but he couldnt find any supplies to re-shingle! Everyone had damage so there just were no supplies to buy. I bought a dehumidifier and placed it up in the rafters towrds the center of the house. I ran the hose out the nearest window. The thing ran 24 hours a day for several weeks, and removed a LOT of water. I guess this worked because I didnt get mold. I got lucky and my home inspector was generous. I got enough money to make almost all of the repairs. Took a long time, since nearly everyone had similar problems. But it did get done.
04-10-2018 08:43 AM
Gotgrowth Well as of now there is nothing left because I cleaned it off. And it wiped away easily. I just ordered a moisturizer tester and I’m looking into a dehumidifier but don’t really know where to start.
04-10-2018 07:37 AM
missannienow Do not panic just yet. I am no expert on this, but have owned many houses in my 68 years. I also live in Florida where mold is a huge problem due to dampness and storms. Owning a home with a basement tells me you dont live in such an area. We just dont have those things here in the sub-tropics.

If I were in your shoes, I would call SEVERAL mold remediation companies and get all of their opinions. Some companies will just lie to you and say its mold when it isnt. If the majority of the estimates say its mold, I guess I would tend to believe it. There MAY be some way for you to tell, and perhaps someone else here will be ablt to tell you that. From what I have seen, mold looks black, not brown or green.

Let us know what happens.
04-10-2018 06:13 AM
Gotgrowth
1st home possible MOLD =FREAKING OUT

How’s it going going guys I’ll try to make this as short as possible. I purchased my first home in July 2017. Wasn’t able to move in until late feb 2018

As of now the basement sees next to no use.(except laundry) Is always dark and does have a little bit of a damp stagnant feel/smell to it. As I walked down there last night I noticed something on one of the corners of the basement . I don’t know if it is DIRT OR MOLD. With this being said, when I sprayed it with regular house hold cleaner and wiped it it came right off easily and it cleaned up nicely however the more I read I’m thinking I may have mold.

I really don’t want to start ripping up walls but I cannot have this become a huge problem. I took these pics before I cleaned the area. So hopefully someone can help me. I’m a handy guy but BRAND NEW TO HOUSE RENOVATION. ANY HELP WOULD BE AMAZING. THANK YOU

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome