Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum - Reply to Topic
Thread: Cold Calling Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
12-10-2015 07:04 AM
Andrew5 sprintcar93, I usually did cold calls for 4 hours per day every day, unfortunately I couldn't spend more as I a had also other work to do. Maybe because of it I didn't get as much clients as I wanted or maybe you're right and the problem was in my script.

Do you usually get your clients this way? I mean cold calling or you do smth else to attract the clients?
12-10-2015 07:03 AM
Andrew5 sprintcar93, I usually did cold calls for 4 hours per day every day, unfortunately I couldn't spend more as I a had also other work to do. Maybe because of it I didn't get as much clients as I wanted or maybe you're right and the problem was in my script.

Do you usually get your clients this way? I mean cold calling or you do smth else to attract the clients?
12-10-2015 12:26 AM
thecrew74
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve55 View Post
I get an answering machine about half the time. More in the mornings than in the evenings. I've just found owners and managers tend to show up early and leave late. I've had very good success doing this. Keep in mind it is a numbers game. I know I am going to get a lot of no's. That's o.k. because I know my averages. I keep a record of how many dials I make, how many connections I get, how many live conversations I have etc. That's where I get my averages from.

I also have a stay at home mom who calls for me. She thinks the hours of 7am to 9am are the best. She's doing something right because her commission check is over $1200 every month. She's worked for me for almost 14 months now. It has worked out very well for both of us.

goldkeyserv.com
Fantastic! Thank you for sharing. I haven't thought about hiring someone to do the cold calling but it does make perfectly good sense especially since I'm horrible on the phone. Any suggestions on finding a qualified person to assist with this daily task? What did you look for when considering hiring someone for this position? Thanks
12-09-2015 11:01 PM
KleanerDude
Qualifying Cold Prospects

I would like to know more about qualifying questions I can present to a cold business prospect, i.e., restaurant owners and managers.

One of the first things I do now is to let the person know that answers the phone, generally a waitress, that "I am John, calling from Apex Carpet, Tile, Concrete Flooring and Upholstery Cleaning Services and I am calling to speak with your manager or owner". Sometimes, but rarely, the worker will ask "what it is I want, specifically"?

I just answer that "I am calling to talk with the manager or owner about cleaning the place". The worker, 99% of the time, just says, "Can you hold on a minute" I say "sure" and wait. All of this time I am speaking in a very casual and courteous manner. Works every time - no such thing as gatekeepers to me, at least with restaurants I've been calling.

To continue, after the manager or owner gets on the phone, I go on to say, "Hi, are you the manager" - and they say "yes". "Well, my name is John and I'm calling you on behalf of Apex Carpet, Tile, Concrete Flooring and Upholstery Cleaning Services. We can also clean your booth upholstery and bathrooms".

"We're a 20 year established family-owned cleaning service located fairly close to your business and I' d like to come by and give you a complimentary estimate to clean your floors".

Starting to qualify!

"What kind of flooring surfaces do you have?" By this time, they have either provided this info or said no. If they say yes, I go on to ask them "if they have an idea of the square footage of the surface area[s] they want cleaned"?

Most of the time, most people, even owners, have no clue as to square footage, so I will ask them for seating capacity or if the area is small, medium or large in size. That gives me a better idea as to whether they even qualify to have us come out. We need a minimum size area to make it worth our while.

I also go online and try to find the business on Facebook or Yelp and other places to see photos of their place to get a rough idea of their floor surface and size of their building or business. This can further qualify them since it can let me see they have one or more of the floor surface types we can clean.

After they provide the information I need, I thank them and let them know we will get back to them in a day or two with the estimate.

I am still interested in knowing more things I can ask or information I can obtain from the owner/manager that will help in getting closer to qualifying them at least in providing an estimate as well as the bottom line, getting
the actual sale and landing the job.

If after this, they still might not want the estimate. I will ask if I can call them back later, even a month to 6 months later, to revisit the issue with them.

If they have a cleaning service, I will still try and get them to let me call them back, because it happens all the time that businesses get tired or become dissatisfied with their present cleaning services.

Please share what you think I can do to improve my approach. Thanks, all.

Last of all, if any of this helps any of you cold-calling, great! Share your ideas with me.
11-11-2015 07:03 PM
KleanerDude
thank you

makes sense but i have gotten 2 replies back for estimates
11-11-2015 06:23 PM
sprintcar93 I have always had a strict rule. Anytime that anyone is calling for me.... if you leave a message you are fired! No joke/No 2nd chance.

Now I don't do commercial, my people usually call potential customers or current/past customers, but if I did commercial, I would have the same rule. When you leave a message the ball is then in the potential customers court.... and the odds of them doing anything except hitting DELETE is slim to none.
11-11-2015 03:35 PM
KleanerDude I am cold calling and leaving messages about our free estimate and holiday
specials - anybody else doing this and maybe you could tell me what kind
of callback reaction you are getting. Thanks.
11-10-2015 08:59 AM
sprintcar93 Andrew,
How many hours per day did you cold call? For how many days or weeks did you give it a try?

It's not something where you can pick up a phone and within 6 hours have a bid. It might take 2 weeks of calling for 8 hours per day before you get your first bid.... and then they should get a little easier.

As with any marketing material you have to give it time. If you called for 2 weeks and nothing, it was your script. Personally, if I wasn't getting a good 'feel' after the first 4 hours, I'd change scripts. And I'd do that until I found one that atleast gave me a good feel when people were responding... even if they were saying NO, if it was a good script you can tell if it was good by their tone.
11-10-2015 04:30 AM
Andrew5 Of course you should try, cause you'll never know if it works for you unless you try it. As for me, cold calling never worked..email marketing was better than that. But you can also do online marketing that works nowadays even better. Try to post a free ad of your services here to reach your audience: https://www.hirerush.com/anywhere/se...eping-cleaning
10-01-2015 02:21 AM
seoconquer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7723 View Post
Thank you very much for your reply I will give this a try tomorrow
No problem Chris, glad to be of help. Also if you're looking to get a website made, you can either hire someone or try to do it yourself. I would suggest looking into wordpress and using a theme if you are trying to do it yourself.
10-01-2015 02:13 AM
chris7723 Thank you very much for your reply I will give this a try tomorrow
10-01-2015 01:03 AM
seoconquer This is a really effective script that I've used myself:

. Greeting (introduce myself)

This is _______ with ________

2. Reason I’m calling and a BIG CLAIM.
ex. I'm calling because I believe my company can provide you with amazing, detailed cleaning services at a very affordable cost.

3. Qualifying the lead

a. Does saving time, energy and money seem like something you could benefit from?

b. What are some areas you wish were more tidy and clean in your home or place of work?

c. Have you ever thought about hiring a company to help you free up time and energy?

d. Magic question – Even if you hired us for only one day every two weeks, wouldn't that sound like something that could greatly benefit you?

4. Get the appointment - Would you have time to speak with me later so that I can go more in depth about how we can help you free up valuable time in your life?

5. CLOSE

Try this out. I know you’ll be surprised with the results. And remember… you must get frequent before you will ever get great.
09-26-2015 05:24 PM
chris7723 What should you say When cold calling companys? Also how did you any of you go about making your websites ?
03-11-2011 05:53 PM
april1979
marketing differences across the country

Quote:
I am glad to hear I am not the only one that thinks this business is not exactly the same across the nation. I am seeing people post to get feedback on a bid before sending it, and people in the east coast are telling people in South Dakota they should adjust their numbers. It is not going to be the same. I am sure there is some truth to this as far as marketing also. What does everyone else think?
Yes, absolutely, many aspects of doing business vary across the country - prices, contracts, marketing etc. In some areas of the country everyone signs janitorial service contracts and in other no one will sign contracts. Sometimes strategies vary within 20 miles. If a certain area has tons of competition and cleaning services are continually calling business, the businesses in that area may become annoyed with anyone who calls. A town over, however, people may not be employing that strategy as much and consequently they may be more receptive to someone calling. The same may also occur with light bribery. If some of the contractors go around to property managers and bribe them with coffee and cookies then when they get the account, they give poor service (or they expect to get accounts because of it) the property managers may become suspicious of that tactic. Sometimes rude or unscrupulous sales people ruin it for everyone else.

The point is that it is good to read about what other people are doing in different areas, but that same technique may not produce the same result for a variety of reasons - many of them owing to how local contractors have been interacting with clients for a number of years.

Silverdale Window Cleaning
03-10-2011 08:44 AM
MCCMN
Quote:
Originally Posted by april1979 View Post
I have not had success with cold calling. It seems that no one wants to talk to people on the phone. However, I have not tried the early and late hours strategy. Interesting. I have found that for me, I have had the most success with dropping off postcards and brochures. I hand deliver them once a week or whenever I have free time. I list my website Port Orchard Window Cleaning & Janitorial on them. I use my website to do the selling for me since I am not a very good salesperson. I think that different people have success with different methods. Not only do different geographic areas need different techniques because of the market, but also different people have different personalities and skills. Try everything but only continue with what has worked.
I am glad to hear I am not the only one that thinks this business is not exactly the same across the nation. I am seeing people post to get feedback on a bid before sending it, and people in the east coast are telling people in South Dakota they should adjust their numbers. It is not going to be the same. I am sure there is some truth to this as far as marketing also. What does everyone else think?
03-09-2011 03:39 PM
Nikisclean
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve55 View Post
I get an answering machine about half the time. More in the mornings than in the evenings. I've just found owners and managers tend to show up early and leave late. I've had very good success doing this. Keep in mind it is a numbers game. I know I am going to get a lot of no's. That's o.k. because I know my averages. I keep a record of how many dials I make, how many connections I get, how many live conversations I have etc. That's where I get my averages from.

I also have a stay at home mom who calls for me. She thinks the hours of 7am to 9am are the best. She's doing something right because her commission check is over $1200 every month. She's worked for me for almost 14 months now. It has worked out very well for both of us.

goldkeyserv.com
Does she get paid for leads or on contracts alone. I was thinking of hiring a few cold callers to help with the work load?
03-09-2011 02:32 PM
steve55
Cold Calling

I get an answering machine about half the time. More in the mornings than in the evenings. I've just found owners and managers tend to show up early and leave late. I've had very good success doing this. Keep in mind it is a numbers game. I know I am going to get a lot of no's. That's o.k. because I know my averages. I keep a record of how many dials I make, how many connections I get, how many live conversations I have etc. That's where I get my averages from.

I also have a stay at home mom who calls for me. She thinks the hours of 7am to 9am are the best. She's doing something right because her commission check is over $1200 every month. She's worked for me for almost 14 months now. It has worked out very well for both of us.

goldkeyserv.com
03-09-2011 10:28 AM
april1979
Re Cold Calling

I have not had success with cold calling. It seems that no one wants to talk to people on the phone. However, I have not tried the early and late hours strategy. Interesting. I have found that for me, I have had the most success with dropping off postcards and brochures. I hand deliver them once a week or whenever I have free time. I list my website Port Orchard Window Cleaning & Janitorial on them. I use my website to do the selling for me since I am not a very good salesperson. I think that different people have success with different methods. Not only do different geographic areas need different techniques because of the market, but also different people have different personalities and skills. Try everything but only continue with what has worked.
03-08-2011 02:07 PM
mooreoftom
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve55 View Post
I call everyday between the hours of 6:30am and 7:30am and 5:30pm and 6:30pm. I bypass a lot of gate keepers this way and actually talk directly to a lot of managers and owners who work late. I've averaged three appointments per week doing this and close one out of three.

http://www.goldkeyserv.com

Just out of curiosity, how many times do you get an answering system during those hours? I would think that many companies would have an automated system that kicks in at a set time, i.e. 5:30pm-8:00am.
03-03-2011 11:03 PM
MCCMN
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve55 View Post
We have been very successful with cold calling to commercial customers. We found the key is to simply do nothing more that ask for an appointment on our initial call. I call everyday between the hours of 6:30am and 7:30am and 5:30pm and 6:30pm. I bypass a lot of gate keepers this way and actually talk directly to a lot of managers and owners who work late. I've averaged three appointments per week doing this and close one out of three. Does not sound like a lot until you add up all of the additional work at the end of the month.

Hope this helps...

http://www.goldkeyserv.com
Thank you very much for responding. So what do you say when they tell you they already have a service? I assume something like: "I understand, but I want you to have a bid to keep on file, when works for you"?? Then once you get in the door you sell yourself and your services as being superior to their current one??
This thread has more than 20 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome