Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mold can grow where the area is wet and which receives little sunlight. A basement is place where the moisture is relatively high, so it provides best suitable environment for the mold to grow. As the mold formation getting high it can become more and more hazardous for the human health. It is important to remove mold from the basement as soon as possible and to keep the basement dry to prevent any further mold formation. There are some steps mentioned below to remove mold from basement.

  1. Check out the basement and find out the sources of water which causes the moisture. These can range from leaking pipes, a washing machine, high humidity, or water seeping in through the floors or walls. Resolve the water problem that making your basement wet.
  2. Mold can also grow on the things like boxes, furniture, rugs or anything wooden. If you find any like these remove it from the basement.
  3. Scrape off visible mold with a spatula. Remember wear glows and mask when you are removing it. Place mold in heavy-duty garbage bags and remove these bags to the nearest exit.
  4. You can use a non-metallic spatula if mold has formed on wood paneling in order to avoid scratching the wood.
  5. After cleaning mold which is visible easily and can be cleaned now it’s the time to clean the things properly to prevent any further mold formation. Prepare a solution with chlorine bleach in water mixed with laundry detergent. You should add a cup of bleach and one-half of detergent for each gallon if the surface is of concrete. For the wood paneling it is preferred to try a weaker solution with very little amount of bleach and detergent.
  6. First apply on a small portion to evaluate if there is any adverse effect. Apply this with sponge or spray.
  7. Now with a sponge or brush scrub the mold. Do not use brush for the wood paneling.
  8. Clean the area with water once and evaluate if it needs further treatment or not. If needed then again apply the solution and make it clean.
  9. Dry out the area properly. You can use rag or fan for that. Make the arrangement of proper ventilation so the area dried out properly.
  10. Check the basement area frequently to prevent the future mold formation. Apply proper treatment time to time and maintain the place dry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
What restwa posted earlier is totally correct--as a company that largely deals with water damage repairs, it is not uncommon to find mold that has grown from untreated water damage. That's why it's so important to contact a trusted cleaning company... often home remedies don't work, so you'll need the experience and materials that water damage and restoration companies have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
If the surface to be disinfected is dry, lightly mist it with water before removing the mold. (dry mold spores can become airborne). Then, thoroughly clean the affected area with soap and water to remove as much of the mold as possible, including surfaces that do not show visible mold – it can be too small to be seen by the naked eye. Next, disinfect the area using a bleach and water solution. The recommended amount of bleach per gallon of water varies depending on the severity of the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
If the surface to be disinfected is dry, lightly mist it with water before removing the mold. (dry mold spores can become airborne). Then, thoroughly clean the affected area with soap and water to remove as much of the mold as possible, including surfaces that do not show visible mold – it can be too small to be seen by the naked eye. Next, disinfect the area using a bleach and water solution. The recommended amount of bleach per gallon of water varies depending on the severity of the case.
Please don't mist the mold with anything - it's not asbestos! Misting mold will only cause it to sporelate and throw mold spores into the air as a defence mechanism. Have you ever watched National Geographic when a rain drop hits a mushroom (closeup)? It shoots millions of spores into the air. Don't mist mold folks. If you're unsure please consult with a mold removal expert who's been through training and has some experience under their belt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I agree those who have encountered problems with their basement in the form of mold or the other known issues would find the tips extremely helpful. My personal experience has also enhanced a lot after visiting several forums offering such invaluable tips. Now I have waterproofed my basement with the help of the basement waterproofing new jersey contractors. This has ensured longevity of the basement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Hi all,
Thanks for sharing these tips here according to me formation of mold fungus is general in basements, as it is an domain of leading humidity along with a lack of right ventilation and problems of surroundings and circulation easy rise. So, it is necessary to remove this from house.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
great tips! had a basement flood issue and the bbb is a terrific resource.

i live in east tx where it stays damp all the time like fl. :unsure: used a lotta of your advice for the upstairs (bath, under sinks, etc). seems to work well so far! :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Water Damage & Mold Growth

Mold caused from water damage can have serious consequences if not taken care of properly. By using drying equipment to remove all the moisture after a water damage you lessen the risk of potential mold growth. Servpro is always here to help get you out of a water damage as quickly as possible, We make it "Like it never even happened".

Check out our youtube videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/ServproLincoln

www.servprolincoln.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Great thread about Mold Removal. Mold removal in Maine or any other state should be taken seriously and should be done by a certified mold removal company. In a recent blog we wrote:

Mold remediation is one area where there is no shortage of misinformation and unqualified contractors in Maine. Maine needs tougher regulations in this field! Make sure to look for a fully licensed, trained, certified and highly experienced mold removal company in Maine. More importantly, a contractor that understands your needs and what you are going through.

Here is how to find a certified mold removal company: http://www.mainecleaningservices.com/announcements/how-to-select-a-mold-contractor

Learn How to Select a Mold Remediation Contractor.



Hope this is helpful!
Robert York
http://www.mainecleaningservices.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Well, I recommend to use chlorine bleach solution and water to get rid of it. This works very well and you will get definitely best result. Always have a basement appropriately ventilated, it will prevent to stop the growth mold.
I think it's really great idea for removing any types of mold. I think we should clean it with clean cloth or scrub that affected area with using the brush.
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top