Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do some contract carpet and vct work for a friend. He wants me to clean a all brick floor in a home. He said it has not been cleaned in years. He also told me that it has deep like grout lines. Has anyone cleaned something like this before? I have an extractor but im worried about the depth of the lines. I have a brush for my o.p machine, i know that would scrub it good but those deep lines again. Any help? Thanks :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey op, there are several factors you are dealing with. First, is the floor sealed or waxed? Is it real brick? I would clean it just like I clean tile and grout, just more cautiously on the chems. Brick is usually very forgiving. High pressure with a turbo or sx-12 if you have it, or spray your chems down and scrub first, then extract with low pressure floor cleaner if you don't. Either way should be a basic job once you get going, Nothing too complicated. Once you have cleaned, then you can ask if they want to re-apply sealer/finish. Make sure the floor is dry. Do you steam clean tile and grout? If not I will explain if you ask.

az

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey all i want to say thanks for all the input. We went to do this job. Things we ran into first i tried to scrub with my o.p machine and it just didnt work floor was so uneven. We were getting no dirt. I called a buddy of mine who has a truck mount. He tried all of his equipment with no luck. He was leaving water standing in the grout lines because of the uneven floor. Long story short i put my tail between my legs and ran. I figured stay alive to clean another day. The customer told me that she had not been able to get this cleaned for 14 years. She does it on her hands and knees. We did walk away friends and i did clean her carpets and she was very happy. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey opclean, what is the problem with leaving water standing in the grout lines? You can use a brush head attachment and get up most of that, but they key is getting the floor clean with high pressure and good chems. I have a brush head that works great on uneven surfaces, has four jets to clean. You can give that a try. If the floor doesn't come clean with good chems and high pressure, there is probably dirt sealed under a finish of some sort. Test with a stripper to see if it turns white.

Thanks for the update!

az

1 - 9 of 9 Posts