Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm new to the board. I had my cleaning company got insured and bonded about a year ago. Due to me going to college and playing sports, I didnt have the time to focus on it how I wanted to. So now that school is over I have time to focus on it more. I am a residential and commercial cleaner. Right now I have just been doing residential I want to get more into commercial cleaning but I knw that I have to do one at a time. My question is how can I get more into commercial cleaning because right now i cleaned a couple houses last week and I advertised on craigslist and got some more calls and have more houses. I dont want to focus all my time on residential, I want to expand and do more commercial and then grow and when the time gets right began to do Post construction. Right now I am just taking baby steps getting myself in the door. So my question to all what is the best way to go about getting commercial companys along with apartments and people who need cleaning for move outs in move ins?:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Welcome to cleaningtalk.com dustbusters.

Getting more commercial accounts will require you making contact with the businesses that you would like to clean. I recommend that you drive thru the areas that house the commercial sections of your town and towns that are close to you, writing down the addresses and names of the businesses that you think that you might like to approach. (Alot of cleaners start with businesses that they are familiar with already such as their doctors, dentist, CPA, bank, etc...)

Next you should prepare a great introductory letter/ packets describing the services that you plan on offering and asking for an opportunity to meet with them to discuss their needs.

For smaller businesses you can go to your county recorder to get the ownership information so you can address all correspondence directly to the owner, for larger businesses you may need to do a little investigation in order to determine who specifically you will need to direct your attentions to.

When first starting out, it is generally recommended that you start with smaller businesses and work up as your skills and business refine. In some cases you might be able to walk in during normal working hours and ask to speak with or leave information for the key person. This method puts a personal touch to the process.

This will get you started. For more questions - stick close to the board and ask away, there is always someone around who can help :yes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Business Opportunities

In addition to the great ideas that you have been give I would suggest checking out your local area Business Chamber. Membership is usually reasonable. I found that it is a great opportunity to network, learn and establish new business contacts. You would be surprised how many commercial contracts that you may acquire through "word of mouth" after you have established yourself with one commercial contract. And from my experience, one business recommendation to another can be invaluable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can somebody help me. I am new to this site and I need help with starting my post construction cleaning business and tips, websites, etc will be helpful. I live in Philadelphia and I am trying to find out what is the going rate to charge a contractor to clean a house. If anybody can help me it would be appreciated. I have been thinking about starting this type a business for at least 6 yrs. I had a cleaning business but could not get the help I needed. Now that I postioned my self to meet new people who are more successful than me I have been getting a lot of support. Just need some info on the Philadelphia side, thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Gservant, The first piece of advice would be to get the mentality of "going rate" out of your head. There is no such thing. Whats the going rate for a new car? It depends upon whom is buying it.

It also depends upon what type of service you are going to offer. You charge as much as you humanly can, then add 10%. Be fast and be reliable and many good builders will pay a higher rate to you then they will a fly-by-nighter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am new to the board and have so many question. I am partnering with 2 other girls. I have done residential cleaning for 7 years and the other two have done some post construction cleaning. This is where I really want to be .We have bid first house .33 sq ft. and 5.60 a window. We got the bid and are about to start rough clean. We are getting our insurance and workers comp in place this week. Don't know whether we should get insured as partners or individuals? Also don't know if we would be jumping the gun to look into inc. or llc. or whatever. Will the builder be willing to give 3 seperate checks and 3 1099s so that we can wait on getting the business incorporated. It is really scary to jump in all at once......:blink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get a website and optimize it for local searches. This is the most cost effective and efficient way to get the word out 24/ 7/ 365 (in my experience).

I won't plug our cleaning business website service, that would be toooo obvious;-} But seriously, it is one of the first things I would do, If I was starting all over again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Dust Busters I did a mailing of about 100 flyers to the apartment complexes in my cleaning area and secured 3 from that mailing, and a subsequent 8 more thereafter. Also, for other commerical accounts I walked in and introduced myself and left my business card. The one company who told me they had a cleaning service, called me a week later, 'cause they were no longer satisfied with their service. So it worked that way for me. Good luck to you. Once you have one client, that sometimes gets the ball rolling, and before you know it, you'll have several.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Can somebody help me. I am new to this site and I need help with starting my post construction cleaning business and tips, websites, etc will be helpful. I live in Philadelphia and I am trying to find out what is the going rate to charge a contractor to clean a house. If anybody can help me it would be appreciated. I have been thinking about starting this type a business for at least 6 yrs. I had a cleaning business but could not get the help I needed. Now that I postioned my self to meet new people who are more successful than me I have been getting a lot of support. Just need some info on the Philadelphia side, thanks in advanced.
Something to think about..... 90% of businesses go out of business in first year. So, most likely the "going rate", is the Going Out of Business Rate!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Something to think about..... 90% of businesses go out of business in first year. So, most likely the "going rate", is the Going Out of Business Rate!

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How did the big event go? You all settled in?

·
Registered
326 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How did the big event go? You all settled in?
Got moved in but because it is a NEW home, I have to wait for Cable/internet company to come dig lines. Library is my new home away from home. Had painters come in and paint while I rode the Harley. Nothing better than hiring a pro to work while we play. LOL

I hate painting!

·
Registered
130 Posts
One experience we have had with flyers is that people started calling about 4mos after we mailed them! People hang on to them which is great! Unfortunately we had put some pricing on them and since the mail out our prices had gone up. The good thing is everyone was understanding about the pricing and it did not cause us to lose any potential business. We have started leaving pricing off the flyers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts