Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is our first cedar roof! Pretty challenging as it was 3 stories, with a gazebo on stilts with no gutters, and the roof was basically vertical on the house

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Architecture of your home is amazing and so is the roof. Cedar wood is long-lasting, making it an ideal roofing material. Cedar lasts at least 10 years longer than common roofing materials, like asphalt. Cedar wood shingles and shakes are also resistant to strong winds and are durable in hurricanes, heavy rains, hail storms, snowstorms and other types of severe storms.

Cedar wood roofs are also energy efficient, providing a natural insulation up to two times that of asphalt shingles. This allows you to conserve home heating and cooling costs, and significantly save on energy bills.

Not to be overlooked are the benefits of using an eco-friendly roofing material. The Shake Guys are diligent about the environment when we harvest western red cedar to make our cedar shingles and shakes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, it is really appreciative. Cedar roofing is really good and it is resistant to the wind. It is less susceptible to moss growth and it gives an ideal look.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cedar wood roofs are also energy efficient, providing a natural insulation up to two times that of asphalt shingles. This allows you to conserve home heating and cooling costs, and significantly save on energy bills.
Nice to know about cedar wood roofs, I thought asphalt had best energy saving features being energy star compliant. Cedar roof seems to beat asphalt on every count and can bear vagaries of nature more effectively. Though i wonder if they would be fire resistant and then they could also be affected by termites.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, cedar roofs are a different animal. I’ve had success with SH Roof mix and a heavy rinse after to properly remove all the chemical. Then you must go over it with an oil type stain to reserve the wood and keep it from drying out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have problems with vegetation die off from the SH.

We constantly rinse as we work but will still get some damage.

What do you think?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts