Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts

• The standard method of treating for cockroaches has been to spray insecticides on baseboards and in cupboards, with the hope that cockroaches will crawl across the band of dried insecticide and the residue left from the application will kill them. We now know this type of treatment is not very effective. Reasons why include:
  • Cockroaches do not live behind baseboards, but live in dark, damp locations near food and water sources. Efforts to locate and treat these hiding places are much more effective.
  • Insecticides are not 100 percent effective and, unless efforts are made to reduce food, water and harborage, populations of the prolific German cockroach are likely to rebound.
  • Cockroaches species, including the German cockroach, have developed insecticidal resistance to the many insecticides.
  • Most insecticidal sprays, especially aerosol treatments, don't have much residual activity.

·
Registered
207 Posts

• The standard method of treating for cockroaches has been to spray insecticides on baseboards and in cupboards, with the hope that cockroaches will crawl across the band of dried insecticide and the residue left from the application will kill them. We now know this type of treatment is not very effective. Reasons why include:
  • Cockroaches do not live behind baseboards, but live in dark, damp locations near food and water sources. Efforts to locate and treat these hiding places are much more effective.
  • Insecticides are not 100 percent effective and, unless efforts are made to reduce food, water and harborage, populations of the prolific German cockroach are likely to rebound.
  • Cockroaches species, including the German cockroach, have developed insecticidal resistance to the many insecticides.
  • Most insecticidal sprays, especially aerosol treatments, don't have much residual activity.

I read that removing the food and water source were about the only way to get rid of scorpions for a lot of the same reasons.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Food and water must be removed or I have seen some people use plastic air tight tupperware bins in order to keep critters out. It's kind of a pain in the rear, but it does work. Mold will grow after water damage and the mold growth will attract critters of all sorts. Mold removal projects can be extensive and costly. It's best to dry water damage areas prior to the threat of a mold problem.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Cinnamon gets rid of ants?
This could be very practical. Green pest repellents are the perfect solution in these hard times we are going through. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
This could be very practical. Green pest repellents are the perfect solution in these hard times we are going through. :thumbsup:
Since we are talking about green pest repellents. Peppermint oil is really effective for keeping most animals and bugs out. You can pick it up at places like GNC or Earthfare for under 10 dollars and it will last you quite a while. Plus it smells good :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Once even i saw cockroaches in my kitchen and my children got scared after seeing them so I was wanted to vanish them completely so that they do not attack other areas of my house. I used ant and roach spray continuously for the next two weeks and they really did vanish! Since the problem is acute, I would personally suggest you to use sprays instead of blasting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just take some hot water, mix 1 portion of white vinegar and stir well, wipe slabs and clean around the cook tops with this solution and pour this solution in the kitchen drains in the night, this will disinfect the pipes and drains and would keep cockroaches from climbing up into the kitchen.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts