Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

Cockroaches in the kitchen?!?

11K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  Erin0110 
#1 ·
:sick: I am not sure this is the right place to ask about that but... Yesterday I noticed a cockroach in my kitchen. I am worried about having more in my house. Could someone recommend me the best cockroach and insect killer, because I used a spray that does not seem to give any results. Thanks in advance...

#4 ·
Hi Cheryl, I have had a lot of luck with Raid Ant and Roach Killer in the dark pink can. Living in the city pretty much all my life, except for the past 10 years, eventually a roach or 2 will come in from a neighbors house. I would spray the Raid around the base of the kitchen floor and afterwards I wouldn't see another roach for about six months, until one decided to travel back over from a neighbors. I haven't needed to use it since I left the city, but it used to work extremely well. Here's a link to the product.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...X&ei=rotCToH6F4TVgAf587WzCQ&ved=0CJoBEPMCMAk#

www.tidybizcleaning.com
www.tidybizcleaningblog.com

#6 ·
The Raid Roach killer works perfectly. I strongly recommend it! Kills them instantly whether they live in the house or are entering it from the outside. Just spray the entrance door, windows and they will never dare to enter the house again. I do it every summer once a month...

#8 ·
Snellexperts...yes the spray I recommended does work once they are inside. I never had to use bombs, I just used the Ant and Roach spray. When they would come in it would only be in the kitchen. All I would do is spray around the base of the kitchen floor and that was it. I would do it about 2-3 nights in a row and no more roaches until they got brave and deared to venture back 6 or 7 months later.

www.tidybizcleaning.com
www.tidybizcleaningblog.com

#13 ·
Snellexperts, Yeah, Ants are beast! I would rather fight roaches than ants. We have a problem with ants around Spring. I don't know if it has to do with all the rain plus the change in the temperature or what, but it's for about 3 - 6 weeks. They are the reigning champs! I have yet to beat them. I just deal with them until they disappear. We have tried spraying the entry areas to keep them out and we also use those ant traps. Nothing works.

#19 ·
We have had to deal with ants too. I sprayed some cleaner the other day and killed the visible ones. A few minutes later after returning to the kitchen I saw a LONG trail of even more, triple what I had just seen. In a desparate attempt to save my boxed food and stuff I just started tossing cinnamon up in the air all over the cabinets, shelves, top of the refrigerator and counters. I sprinkled and sprinkled and sprinled...and guess what that cinnamon is still stilling on my cabinets and counters..LOOLOLOL havent seen the ants since. *shrugs* i didn't know what else to do lol:thumbup:

#21 ·

• The standard method of treating for cockroaches has been to spray insecticides on baseboards and in cupboards, with the hope that cockroaches will crawl across the band of dried insecticide and the residue left from the application will kill them. We now know this type of treatment is not very effective. Reasons why include:
  • Cockroaches do not live behind baseboards, but live in dark, damp locations near food and water sources. Efforts to locate and treat these hiding places are much more effective.
  • Insecticides are not 100 percent effective and, unless efforts are made to reduce food, water and harborage, populations of the prolific German cockroach are likely to rebound.
  • Cockroaches species, including the German cockroach, have developed insecticidal resistance to the many insecticides.
  • Most insecticidal sprays, especially aerosol treatments, don't have much residual activity.

#23 ·
Food and water must be removed or I have seen some people use plastic air tight tupperware bins in order to keep critters out. It's kind of a pain in the rear, but it does work. Mold will grow after water damage and the mold growth will attract critters of all sorts. Mold removal projects can be extensive and costly. It's best to dry water damage areas prior to the threat of a mold problem.

#30 ·
Once even i saw cockroaches in my kitchen and my children got scared after seeing them so I was wanted to vanish them completely so that they do not attack other areas of my house. I used ant and roach spray continuously for the next two weeks and they really did vanish! Since the problem is acute, I would personally suggest you to use sprays instead of blasting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.