Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been in residential cleaning for a little while and wondering if you all find commercial cleaning to be easier/more calm than residential cleaning? Is it worth it to do both residential and commercial? What's your experience?

·
Registered
8 Posts
That Cleaning Gal... i can only speak of my 2 week experience of residential cleaning. Will call her Mrs A. Mrs A would sit on the couch watching TV eating candy then would use the bathroom after I cleaned it. House was messy, bathrooms and showers dirty, kitchen dirty wha wha wha.
Now I only do commercial, I find the kitchens pretty tidy, bathrooms aren't as bad & NO Showers to clean. 90% of my customers I only see 1x when I do a walk thru.
Pay is good very few complaints and I have 1 slow pay customer. Maybe I;m lucky biz is very good. I do see a local house cleaning company advertising for workers.
P.S. Commercial I don't have to dust 55 photos of Uncle Fred & The Family.
Brad BD Janitorial
Also in commercial I don't get a lot of service changes or cancel service for this day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@bdjanitorial

Thank you for your honest response :)

You see, my husband just hasn't been the same right now...we have had a rough couple weeks in residential cleaning. It seems people will jump through flaming hoops to get a free clean (refunds). This one client has been harassing us on Facebook and spreading the work in local groups how bad we are with his own pictures and stuff. We offered solutions to the problem and he has refused every single one. He is threatening small claims. It's been a ride. Then, another house we cleaned had a profanity written in the dust on a table we were to clean and I had just swept and vacuumed one of the bedrooms and my husband was all mad because he was saying, "How could you miss gum on the floor?!" I said, "What? Gum?" I walked in there, sure enough where I had just swept there was gum...there is no way I would miss gum, especially out in the open like that in a small room...it seems one of the people in that house doesn't appreciate our services and it isn't a child...my husband has kinda said he wants to forget it and start doing commercial cleaning so that way we don't have to deal with the client as directly/personally and deal with these scenarios as much. We've only been in business 3 months and have had 3 people ever blow their top on us, but it happens.

We are so super busy with residential cleaning (usually booked 2-3 weeks out), but some people just get to you sometimes...

We're still exploring what the market outlook is for commercial cleaning here since there are already a few commercial cleaning groups and considering what different equipment we may need.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Commercial is more consistent but you wait for Net 30 which can easily turn into Net 45. But residential is more money per hour usually. Residential clients also pay directly after the job is completed. The guys that do commercial say they deal with less headaches than residential because the customer is less picky. I prefer a healthy mix of the 2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Professional cleaning services play an important role in the regular maintenance of your beds in particular and your home in general without germs. If you are tired of spending countless hours every week just trying to get your house in order, juggling between work, family and social obligations, then hiring Surrey Best Cleaners | Professional Cleaning | Surrey can certainly add value to the overall health of the family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have done both residential and commercial. Here are my thoughts:

Residential:
Pros:
- A lot of business out there for residential cleaning. Was always booked.​
- Day cleaning, usually had the nights and weekends off.​
- Always enjoyed interacting with the clients.​
- Paid immediately after every job.​
Cons:
- Clients can be @ssholes.​
- Clients don't understand the difference between a house cleaner and a maid.​
- Seriously, if you could remove the client from the picture, residential cleaning would be perfect.​
Commercial:
Pros:
- Commercial clients are daily/weekly/monthly service contracts, so you always have income each month.​
- They rarely complain. As long as you clean well, you will never have a problem.​
- You clean at night, usually between the hours of 8pm - 5am (each building is different) Works great if you have kids and your partner works during the morning/day.​
- Learn carpet cleaning, floor stripping and waxing, exterior window cleaning, pressure washing, etc... and you can charge a premium for these extra services.​
Cons:
- You work alone usually, can be lonely sometimes.​
- Harder to find new clients and clients usually are looking for the lowest bid, not the most qualified company for the job.​
- Invoicing is usually Net30. Make sure you have a backup of money to pay bills and employees until your clients pay you on the last day of the month.​
- Work can be 7 days a week.​
We do not do residential cleaning anymore, the money we were making from residential was not worth the headache it was causing me. I love the commercial side because of its constant income each month and the clients never complain. I was making more money in residential, but as long as I keep growing on the commercial side, I will eventually make up what I lost from leaving residential and keep all the hair on my head.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have done both residential and commercial. Here are my thoughts:

Residential:
Pros:
- A lot of business out there for residential cleaning. Was always booked.​
- Day cleaning, usually had the nights and weekends off.​
- Always enjoyed interacting with the clients.​
- Paid immediately after every job.​
Cons:
- Clients can be @ssholes.​
- Clients don't understand the difference between a house cleaner and a maid.​
- Seriously, if you could remove the client from the picture, residential cleaning would be perfect.​
Commercial:
Pros:
- Commercial clients are daily/weekly/monthly service contracts, so you always have income each month.​
- They rarely complain. As long as you clean well, you will never have a problem.​
- You clean at night, usually between the hours of 8pm - 5am (each building is different) Works great if you have kids and your partner works during the morning/day.​
- Learn carpet cleaning, floor stripping and waxing, exterior window cleaning, pressure washing, etc... and you can charge a premium for these extra services.​
Cons:
- You work alone usually, can be lonely sometimes.​
- Harder to find new clients and clients usually are looking for the lowest bid, not the most qualified company for the job.​
- Invoicing is usually Net30. Make sure you have a backup of money to pay bills and employees until your clients pay you on the last day of the month.​
- Work can be 7 days a week.​
We do not do residential cleaning anymore, the money we were making from residential was not worth the headache it was causing me. I love the commercial side because of its constant income each month and the clients never complain. I was making more money in residential, but as long as I keep growing on the commercial side, I will eventually make up what I lost from leaving residential and keep all the hair on my head.
I really did enjoy cleaning as a vendor for an apartment complex rather than people's homes in general. Totally agree with your residential points 100% lol - it's all too true.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's quite subjective and it depends on the needs and conditions we are talking about. To be honest I have hired professional cleaning services for both residential projects and commercial ones and I have had various experiences. If the company is good enough, I would say it could be great either way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts