Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to get dog pee out of a mattress I am not sure if water is the best thing to do or not. Thanks bk

·
Registered
383 Posts
What is the best way to get dog pee out of a mattress I am not sure if water is the best thing to do or not. Thanks bk
Get Borax. :) The directions are on the box. It works!

Torrey

·
Registered
7 Posts
What are you after?

Are you struggling with the stain itself, or are you after a residual odor?

And, no, water isn't the best thing to do....at least not right away. You dont want to disperse what you are trying to get out.

If there is a yellow stain you are after, then understand that the likelyhood is that you will have a stain for good. The acidic nature of urine is pretty hard on most fabrics overall.

If there is an odor, you need to attack it with a product that has a digestive action, a bacteria or enzyme. Some of these products will offer a dual purpose of removing SOME yellow stains as well.

If you are to free with the types of cleaners you try to use, you will likely set the yellowing permanently.

Good cleaning, I will check to see if you post any new information about the specific spot.

www.clean911.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stain doesnt bother me as much as the smell and just knowing it's there. I was just thinking of calling a guy from the phone book and having it steam cleaned or something, what do you all think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gotcha

I was assuming you were interested in DIY answers.

I would emphatically and wholeheartedly suggest a Professional Technician, first.

However, you could pull it off effectively with a few basic tools and a good Enzyme Product. Do you have a shop Vac or some other tool you can extract moisture/cleaning agents with?

How much urine was there originally, and how much did you do at the time or afterwards to fix it? Dry blotting?

If you go with a Professional, don't try to get the cheapest you can....you need a SOLID company with SOLID equipment. Truck-Mounted, with proper upholstery cleaning tools, and proper chemicals or enzymes for the job. Expect to pay a minimum fee of $75, to as much as possibly $175-200 depending on how much needs doing.

I will watch for any responses and help out more if I can.

Good cleaning!

www.clean911.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply but I am gonna call a pro I have a million and one things to do as is. Besides I work in the home service industry, and that sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Let's get something clear..............

When urine leaves the body it is mildly acidic, but bacteria start to decompose it and in the process atmospheric nitrogen is incorporated and ammonia is produced - this is alkaline.

The ammonia evaporates fairly quickly and what is left at the post-ammonial stage is mainly highly alkaline uric salts.

It is the alkalinity that 'scorches' the fabric to produce the classic yellowing* - not the relatively mild uric acid.

The treatment of urine contamination will be different as the different stages.

* There are other components that can also produce yellow staining.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts