Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Ok, I have a few specific questions about employees.

1. Employees or not?
2. Where do you find good employees?
3. How many employees is too many?

4. We are thinking of having team leaders but how much to pay them?

5. What percentage of the income goes to the employees?

My fear is that we will have too much work and then employees will not show up for work and we will not beable to service those accounts that we worked so hard to get.

Any advice would be wonderful,
thanks & happy holidays.
SuzyQ

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi everyone,

1. Employees or not?

My fear is that we will have too much work and then employees will not show up for work and we will not beable to service those accounts that we worked so hard to get.

thanks & happy holidays.
SuzyQ
Suzy,

Whether to have employees is really up to you. There are pros and cons to each side of the fence. With employees, you have growth. But, with employees comes more responsibility and (at times) headaches. Are you adept at managing people? Do you have experience or are you up to date on the employment laws? I have management experience but just this week had something come up with one of my employees that had me through a loop on what to do! You never know what's next with some people. LOL

There's a lot of places you can find good employees. I know one service owner that even frequents a slew of places to find some of hers at the oddest places, such as a liquor store, homeless shelter, laundry mat, etc. I use word of mouth and Craig's List for my recruiting. It seems to work well for me.

Word of advice: Never guarantee amount of hours, schedule, or even pay. When you hire, make it clear that this is a very fickle environment. Things always change from day to day, week to week, month to month. You cannot control cancellations, economy, etc. Make EVERYONE part time.

I've had trouble with team leaders and pay. I do a percentage for all my employees. I used to pay hourly and they worked slower than normal to milk their day out. Now I pay a flat percentage per job. The team leaders get a higher percentage. However, IN MY CASE it is causing problems because the team leaders are not pulling their weight enough to justify the extra percentage. I am working on that. I wish I had just paid everyone the same amount and gave a bonus to those who did an extra effort. But...I am new at this so I don't know what's the "right" answer anyway!

Payroll should NEVER exceed 45% of your business expenses.

Your fears are a reality. It happens. Sadly. This week alone I have the same problem. I have one girl on personal leave, another one being fired tonight, another with car problems and another out of state with a car that broke down. I HAVE NO ADDITIONAL HELP! So, I am picking up the one local person I have available and she and I are going to ROCK this week and get everyone done. For those we cannot get done, they get rescheduled.

I hope this advice is helpful. Sorry it took me so long to respond!

Torrey

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the helpful advice :)

Thank you for all your words of support. I know that it is hard when people don't show. We have three really reliable women and the rest we have worked with have a very different attitude...if you know what I mean...lol

Some great ideas though. I like the percentage and bonus thing. That should keep people on track I think.

My husband or I find the new clients and do the job ourselves until we know it upside down. Then we hire people who live close to the job and one of us supervises until they know the job well.

Our next step is to make that person team leader and bring in another trainee cleaner so we can step out. We continue to duplicate. My job is to stay in touch with my teams and be available to cover them if they are sick and also to drop in unannounced to check the quality of the job.

It works well, we are continuing to grow and one of us is always available as an extra pair of hands.
SuzyQ

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi everyone,

1. Employees or not?

thanks & happy holidays.
SuzyQ

What state are you in, SuzyQ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Torrey, quick question for you. When you pay on percentage, do you give anything additional for drive time or anything for the miles put on the employees own car?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I do pay a gas allowance. It's a flat rate for each job site they go to.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Is it the same rate each time? For instance every job pays $15 gas allowance or do you say $x to and $x back. You do not pay to the first job and home from the last job correct?
I pay for the first job to the last job. They are responsible for coming to and from the office each day.

It's $3 per job site (about a gallon of gas). If they drive more than 25 miles, they get a $6 allowance for that site. If we have clients in the same neighborhood or even across the street from each other, they still get $3 per site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great. Thanks for the help. I am doing an employee handbook. Do you have one for your employees? I need help with the MSDS and OSHA stuff. I am not sure what to put in there for that stuff. Also, I need to mention procedures for blood pathogens??

I pay for the first job to the last job. They are responsible for coming to and from the office each day.

It's $3 per job site (about a gallon of gas). If they drive more than 25 miles, they get a $6 allowance for that site. If we have clients in the same neighborhood or even across the street from each other, they still get $3 per site.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes, we have an employee handbook. It constantly evolves. :)

A MSDS book typically is seperate from any employee manuals. It's in binder form and anything you use for your business is kept in that book.

We have a simple policy regarding blood, urine, vomit and excrement: We don't touch it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
1. Employees or not?

None right now. Formerly had 8.

When you find out, let me know. :cry:

Start out with what you need then keep some on-call for no shows, call offs, etc.

I paid my team leader $10.75. The employees made $8-10 per hour depending on their experience. The team leader I had just dusted, as needed, checked work, and drove the employees around to the client's homes.

I've heard various opinions on this some range from 40%, some 60%. Take a look at your business operations (overhead), etc. and go from there. You may anticipate about 20-25% profit.

Yes, that is a true scenario that can occur. Just be prepared to work hard and maintain the reputation of your company, do not rely on employees.

·
Registered
383 Posts
1. Employees or not?

None right now. Formerly had 8.

When you find out, let me know. :cry:

Start out with what you need then keep some on-call for no shows, call offs, etc.

I paid my team leader $10.75. The employees made $8-10 per hour depending on their experience. The team leader I had just dusted, as needed, checked work, and drove the employees around to the client's homes.

I've heard various opinions on this some range from 40%, some 60%. Take a look at your business operations (overhead), etc. and go from there. You may anticipate about 20-25% profit.

Yes, that is a true scenario that can occur. Just be prepared to work hard and maintain the reputation of your company, do not rely on employees.
I emphasized the important part.... DO NOT RELY ON EMPLOYEES! They will make you or break you. If you aren't in the heart of your business working alongside your employees, they will drive your business to the ground.

It's scary to me to think of what can happen when you put all your eggs in one fragile basket. Employees are valuable in my organization but even with the best pay, incentives, and opportunities given...they will inherently have bad days or an attitude of indifference.

I live in a lower cost of living area than most in this nation. My team leaders make approximately $15 an hour and they supervise employees that make $10-$14 an hour. That's a great rate of pay and we still have problems. No amount of pay will compensate for human error.

Torrey

1 - 16 of 16 Posts