Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks, I’m new here, found this forum as I’ve been fighting with a school building for almost three weeks on a job that would normally have taken a week or so, and I need advice. I was contracted to strip and wax all of the classroom floors, and after speaking to a facility manager from the school system they have no records of the floors ever having been stripped. The current wing of the school was built in the 90’s. There’s been 2-4 coats of wax added about every 2 years or so for as long as the manager could remember, they’d use a cleaning solution and green cleaning pad on the buffer, then slap more wax down. I’ll attach pictures of what I’m dealing with, but for a description I’m literally having to take a scraper to the floor in these rooms, removing multiple gallons of semi-congealed wax from these rooms. The current rooms are extremely small at about 420sq foot per room, and I’m getting 3-4 gallons of congealed wax up, not to mention the standard slurry. Has anyone else run into this kind of thing before, and is there any advice you can offer? Im already losing money on the job, just interested in getting it done right and more quickly now.
Automotive tire Hood Road surface Wood Asphalt
Automotive lighting Circle Gas Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Gas

Asphalt Road surface Flooring Floor Wood

Automotive tire Water Road surface Asphalt Art
Water Road surface Asphalt Grey Dress
Household cleaning supply Wood Household supply Composite material Mop
Road surface Asphalt Sand Glove Flooring
Grey Wood Rectangle Gas Tints and shades
Safety glove Gesture Tool Glove Line
Automotive tire Water Road surface Asphalt Art

Grey Wood Rectangle Gas Tints and shades

Household cleaning supply Wood Household supply Composite material Mop

Safety glove Gesture Tool Glove Line

Road surface Asphalt Sand Glove Flooring

Water Road surface Asphalt Grey Dress

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s absolutely been a nightmare. I’m on the third phase of the project, the second phase was only a small set of rooms, about 6500sq/ft total, and I got just over a hundred gallons of congealed wax slurry up, that’s not including what was vacuumed up after the buffing. The cycle we’ve had to start using is 2:1 ratio solution, 30 minute dwell time as you said, then scraping the floors with razor scrapers, sucking the congealed crap up with a shop vac, then sometimes scraping again before sloshing the solution back out and buffing with a burgundy pad, usually only getting about 900sq/ft out of one side before it’s so saturated with wax that it’s worthless, then a second buff with a black pad. Finally another recovery vac run and a couple of hours scraping the edges. These tiles are so uneven it’s a nightmare regardless. I bid the job from the plans I was sent, grand total of 2 weeks and about 300 man hours. I’m about 3-4 days from done, just over a month in, and have paid out well over 500 man hours. 170 gallons of stripping solution, 20 burgundy and 15 black stripping pads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s definitely been a good lesson. I’m trying to pin some extra time and such on the school system, since they obviously knew how bad it was and didn’t want to deal with it themselves, but it’s government, so I don’t expect much. It’s not make or break for me at least, and I’ll go into the next knowing much better what to expect. Also will bid accordingly 😂 they’ll probably just hire some other clueless Schmuck next time though. Just a vicious cycle it seems. Normally my crews are working through about 2500 sq/ft daily, we’ve barely been averaging 800 on this job, and that’s working 11 hour days lol. It’s wild to me that people can get away with just slapping more layers down year after year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts