Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a weird one for you... my roommate brought home some breadsticks that were drenched in garlic "butter" (presumably not real butter, I don't know...) that sloshed all over the passenger side seat of his car.

I tried blotting, and tried a little carpet stain remover, but the stain is quite large and nothing seems to make a dent. :thumbdown:

Any advice for removing oily substances from car upholstery?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need a product that will cut the oil.

Try OMS, Oil of Mineral Spirits, cheap and readily available. Load it into a sprayer and mist the area heavily....this product will evaporate, leaving no residue or damaging anything.....and then vacuum the area.

Okay, what I am saying is, spray the OMS, work the spot with some kind of light bristle brush, and then extract it with a shop vac.

Oughta get you cleaned up after a few times.

Good Cleaning!

Dehn

WWW.CLEAN911.COM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have a shop vac? A technique I like to use when there is a lot of material to remove is to wet spray and extract with vacuum and repeat until it's removed. In this case, you could use a 50/50 solution of water and simple green which cuts grease.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You will need the power and extraction of a steam cleaning machine. Preferably a truck mounted machine. Then you will be able to pre treat with a solvent and rinse and extract all the butter out of the upholstery. All your doing is spreading it around and working into the fabric really. I now as I'm a 18 year veteran in the industry and own carpet cleaning orange county.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts