Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to mention a few things that could prevent an on-the-job headache......or worse.

1) Check for overhead power supply/lines coming to the house. Hit that with your ladder and you are in trouble. A guy I knew died from that.......he was a painter.

2) During winter gutter cleanings, check the water supply first......to make sure it is on......before you start cleaning. You can ask the homeowner to make sure the water is on, but someone will forget. So check before starting the job.

3) Slate roof......avoid walking these if possible. My two near death experiences occurred on slate.......slippery when wet.....especially when its GREEN!! LOL

Its a bad feeling to be on your butt sliding toward the edge with your feet out and your hands spread out behind you.......and stopping just a foot short of the gutter. If I was to go over the edge, that gutter was gonna go down with me. Scary. I prefer the security of the ladder now. Oh well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
1) Scoop out loose debris.
Starting at a drain outlet at the low end of a gutter, use a narrow garden trowel to scoop out loose debris, working away from the drain outlet. It’s usually easiest to do this when the debris is slightly damp and pliable, not soggy or dried and encrusted. To minimize cleanup later, you can scoop the debris into a plastic garbage-can liner.

2) Blast out the gutters with a hose.
Using an on-off high-pressure nozzle mounted at the end of a water hose, wash out each length of gutter, working toward the drain outlet. This can be a messy job; try to avoid splattering mud all over your house. If necessary, use a stiff scrub brush to remove encrusted dirt.

3) Clear obstructions in drainpipes.
If water doesn’t drain freely through the drainpipes, try flushing the debris down them with a hose. If that doesn’t work, use a plumber’s auger (snake) to free and pull out the debris from the bottom.

·
Registered
146 Posts
gutter cleaning tips

I think a good tip is to use the ladder standoffs made for gutter cleaning. They press against the top of the roof so that all the ladder's weight rests against there. These are great for making the ladder more stable and for not banging up the gutters while you are cleaning them.

Bremerton Window Cleaning

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cleaning gutters is not always fun, but it is important to the integrity of your home. Follow these tips for cleaning channel easier. To clean your gutters properly, hire a sturdy ladder and get your neighbour to lend a hand. Clean gutters to protect your flooring and landscape plants, and prevent thousands of dollars in damage to its foundation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Regular gutter cleaning is the single most important key to avoiding major and expensive home repairs. Gutters controlling the water around your home. If debris keeps gutters from doing their job, you can wind up with some serious problems. Some clogs in the downspout can be extremely difficult to remove no matter what you do. In that case, you may be forced to partially disassemble the downspout to correct the problem.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Generally people have complained that gutters become clogged with leaves and other debris. If not cleaned, gutters can fail to drain excess rain water. Before doing gutter cleaning job you should do inspection of gutters. If you found that there is any damage area then firstly repair it. Once the gutters are in good working order, you will need to gain access to the roof. This work can be done easily by using a ladder.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts