Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys are having success in upgrading your gutter cleaning to include adding things like screens and other improvements.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I Personally Haven't...

But I have had some friends try some of the new filter systems and caps with no to limited success.

I do occasionally get some interest in installing the cheapest screens the big boxes sell. These people often back away when I put together a rate for it. They have a hard time grasping that it takes me more time to clean a gutter and install a product, than to just clean.

They also seem to not realize that I don't have to move a ladder and reset as often when I'm just cleaning.

To be most frank, I don't get many gutter jobs anymore. I don't try for as many, and people are skeptical until the weather really changes. Then they call.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We rarely see gutters,but in the early days of our business I did up sell some to homeowners.
IMO none of them actually keep the gutters truly clean and the cost is considerable compared to the cost of cleaning twice a year.I would rather have the twice a year cleaning over the one time high $$$ sale.Not to mention the gutters will still have to be cleaned(just not as frequently) so Joe HO(home owner) will be less than happy about his initial high $$$ purchase he made from you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
How many of you guys are having success in upgrading your gutter cleaning to include adding things like screens and other improvements.
I haven't tried. I've considered it. I know guys who have had good success, and guys who flopped with it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't tried. I've considered it. I know guys who have had good success, and guys who flopped with it.
How about just to get your feet wet getting with a sub-contractor who does the work. Get his by the foot cost and doing the bids whenever possible while your on site. Then you can get a feel for the business before buying all the equipment and such.

·
Registered
222 Posts
How about just to get your feet wet getting with a sub-contractor who does the work. Get his by the foot cost and doing the bids whenever possible while your on site. Then you can get a feel for the business before buying all the equipment and such.
There really shouldn't be much equipment involved. Just time and materials. I should have most of the tools involved, depending on the type of gutter guard involved. As far as other improvements, hadn't really thought about it.

I know a guy who does all kinds of things in addition to his PW work...he'll offer to trim hedges, mow the yard, fix the door, replace light bulbs, fix shingles, whatever he sees that needs attention. I've considered that aspect, but never pursued it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There really shouldn't be much equipment involved. Just time and materials. I should have most of the tools involved, depending on the type of gutter guard involved.
A lot of gutter guys form the gutter on site out of a roll of steel. It's cheaper that way and you get a more custom fit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
A lot of gutter guys form the gutter on site out of a roll of steel. It's cheaper that way and you get a more custom fit.
Oh, you were talking about actual gutter installation. Yep, I know all about that...Did that for about a year just out of HS. Kinda fun, but you definitely need help if you're doing long runs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know a guy who does all sorts of things besides work PW ... to be offered for trimming hedges, mowing the lawn, fix the door, replace light bulbs, fixing the tiles, everything you see that needs attention. I've thought about that aspect, but never pursued.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Down herer in Sydney, a lot of the gutter cleaning and window cleaning companies are branching out ot provide multiple services.

Here is an idea you might be able to try.

A Sydney gutter cleaning company has started to install safe roof access points while they are doing the gutters. They have had a lot of success combining their services like this. So see what other niches are not being serviced in your community and add these to your services. Wether it be safe roof access, roof repairs, chimney maintenance, whatever.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is quite a big market for screens and money is definately out there to be made. But I don't think it is beneficial to the customer, unless their home has simple access and they can clean the screens themselves. Otherwise they get the screens installed and then neglect their gutters for a couple of years and then they got a nightmare on their hands with gunk underneath the screens and no way to clean it out! Except remove the screen! I've seen a lot of faliures with screening at many properties. It also doesn't make financial sense to get them, why pay thousands of dollars for a screen and still have to pay the same amount for maintenance? Rather go for roof repair as add on or Branch trimming.

Here is a link to my Gutter Cleaning Videos explaining why The Gutter Screens are useless:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX4JsgVX47Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yo51S0XX8o

1 - 15 of 15 Posts