Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm a freshman college student and I just moved into my new student home while being absolutely shocked by the horrible state of the bathroom. I'd love to deep clean it as soon as possible, although I'm not sure what should I do with the hard mold on the bathroom floor and tiles which is almost black and looks very nasty. I feel like basic toilet cleaner won't do the job as easily. Just look at the picture:

Any tips how to save this situation, please?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Yours truly,

Desperate student

·
Registered
34 Posts
That definitely doesn't look good. This may or may not be something you can scrub from the surface.

Things to try that help kill mold are:

-White distilled vinegar and baking soda solution
OR
-3% hydrogen peroxide and water solution (be sure the hydrogen peroxide is 3% !)
OR
-1C Borax and 1C water solution

Some solutions people that deal with mold may use: Vital Oxide, Mold Control, or Biocide premade solutions.

Restorox is another that contains hydrogen peroxide and may help. This cleaner may not be suitable for areas with poor ventilation (make sure to have adequate ventilation with cleaners).

Moving forward, spray your solution on it and get an electric scrub brush or an abrasive sponge (do a spot test to be sure you don't damage the tiles). You may need to spray and let sit a few times before scrubbing.

Another thing is from the picture this looks like it could be water damage. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a toilet overflow or something and it was left sitting like that for a while.

Worst case scenario is that you can't remove the mold because it is inside the caulking sealants. If this is the case, these will need to be completely removed and replaced. Is there anyone like a dorm manager or something that you can send this picture to? Add that you're concerned about your health as you notice mold in the shower. It wouldn't hurt to mention, although you would think they would inspect dorms and fix the problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had good luck with this product for mold
Mold Control
Brad BD Janitorial
To clean tile & grout I use a commercial grade Hydrogen Peroxide. Home Depot sells Hydrogen Peroxide cleaners and get a deck/scrub brush with a handle unless you want to do it on your knees. Also with Hydrogen peroxide you'll probably need to mop up/towel up and scrubbed liquid and finish mop the floor with plain water.
Good luck.
Brad BD Janitorial

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try to use a antifungal cleaner, like Clorox. This cleaner uses a specific formula to kill types of fungus such as mildew and mold. Then scrub the mold. And then use a mixture of water and bleach in a spray bottle, spray it to the remaining stains, soak for a few minutes, then scrub it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Step 1: Spray an antifungal cleaner, like one by Clorox, onto the mold. This cleaner uses a specific formula to kill types of fungus such as mildew and mold. Then scrub the mold away with a sponge or toothbrush.

Step 2: After cleaning the area, use a mixture of equal parts water and bleach in a spray bottle and apply it to any remaining stains to lift them. Let it soak for a few minutes and then use a toothbrush to scrub the stains until they are clean.

Step 3: To prevent mold from returning, spray distilled vinegar onto the surface of your shower to kill mold spores and slow down any regrowth. Let the vinegar dry before going on to the next step.

Step 4: Fully dry any remaining wet surfaces with a clean cloth towel. Ventilate the bathroom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts