Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got a hard wood table from John Lewis and while it looks like it was oiled, but now that it got water stains I don't know what to use to clean it properly and what to use to oil it again. I would like to protect it from stains after that though if that is possible, like a coating or something.

Any idea is welcome.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Usually once those water stains settle in, they are there to stay. If you've already tried to scrub it and haven't gotten results, it's more than likely permanent. I generally

Most people go get a wood oil from a hardware store that's appropriate for the type of wood their table is. Some people use olive oil or mineral oil (mineral oil can have petroleum products in it so some people avoid) to oil the wood, but double check that these are safe for your wooden table or do a spot test first.

Generally for wooden tables, I try to use a dry rag first and if that's a no go then I will add a little bit of a water/vinegar mixture - just enough to get a spot up, but not more moisture than I have to. You don't want to use hot water an a soapy soaked rag, it'll just end up looking dull.

I was looking up online that you can do water, vinegar, and olive oil (1 C water, 1 C vinegar, 1 tbsp olive oil) in a spray bottle so that you help the wood without being too harsh on it. I've never used it, but now I might give that a try!

EDIT I had been researching this more and the only thing I could find for water rings was using a hair dryer on it while intermittently wiping the ring away. I wonder if it's worth a try, I've never used it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This brush for cleaning table is ideal for a wide range of water based fluids, including espresso and wine. The brush for cleaning table is produced using hard core tempered steel and highlights a huge handle with delicate, non-slip silicone closes. In the interim, the brush for cleaning and cleaning table surface is ideal for cleaning your kitchen ledges or burner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Usually once those water stains settle in, they are there to stay. If you've already tried to scrub it and haven't gotten results, it's more than likely permanent. I generally

Most people go get a wood oil from a hardware store that's appropriate for the type of wood their table is. Some people use olive oil or mineral oil (mineral oil can have petroleum products in it so some people avoid) to oil the wood, but double check that these are safe for your wooden table or do a spot test first.

Generally for wooden tables, I try to use a dry rag first and if that's a no go then I will add a little bit of a water/vinegar mixture - just enough to get a spot up, but not more moisture than I have to. You don't want to use hot water an a soapy soaked rag, it'll just end up looking dull.

I was looking up online that you can do water, vinegar, and olive oil (1 C water, 1 C vinegar, 1 tbsp olive oil) in a spray bottle so that you help the wood without being too harsh on it. I've never used it, but now I might give that a try!

EDIT I had been researching this more and the only thing I could find for water rings was using a hair dryer on it while intermittently wiping the ring away. I wonder if it's worth a try, I've never used it.
thanks for your information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The table where we usually have dinner with the family is also made of wood. Sometimes children leave stains on it and spill any liquid over it, and most of the time, I use this combination of vinegar, water, and olive oil. You don't need to buy all kinds of expensive detergents, especially if you use them a few times. I clean the rest of the surfaces with water and vinegar; I only don't add olive oil anymore. Especially our hospital bed table on wheels where our grandmother eats because she is staying paralyzed in the bed, I always have to clean it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts