Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have always washed floors on hands & knees, even when we had many employees, but I'm wondering if they have come up with something that actually gets the floors clean without having to get down on hands & knees? Or, what do you use and how do you make sure the corners and edges are clean doing it your way? I don't do it myself but I'd sure like to make cleaning easier but won't go down on quality.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We clean ALL floors on hands and knees. We have had houses from 700sf to 15,000sf and they are all cleaned on hands and knees. Wood, tile, pergo, vct... you name it.

We have had 1 complaint about a floor since 1998 and that was because a lady called and said we dripped a drop of water on her bathroom floor. When we sold our original business a few years ago we still had many of the original clients because of our quality. We sold half to 1 lady and half to another.... both didn't keep up the same quality and were out of business within 18 months. We set the bar HIGH! I'm just tired of buying knee pads at $30 a whack. lol But if we have to, we have to....

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, just houses. Only 1 commercial job paid enough to really care about the floors. But, we did wash those floors on hands & knees. 13,000sf... mostly carpet but 5 small rooms had vct... would take about 3 hours to clean 5 nights a week and they paid $140 a night. lol One of the only accounts I ever missed. :sad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sprintcar,
I use a dust mop package from a local janitorial store. It works beautifully. We wet or dampen it, depending on the surface or level of dirt and have had great luck with it. We ALWAYS mop bathrooms and small areas by hand....but for larger areas we use the mop to avoid "maids knees". I purchase new dust mop "refills" as they need to be and each house gets a fresh one (or more, depending on the need). I've had nothing but compliments on the floors. It takes some getting used to at first, maneuvering and such.....but saves the back and knees. We DO have to get down to clean corners etc though.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a lil confused. Do you have a link to what you're talking about? We do use a dust mop but it is for sweeping before we wash the floor.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will look for a link tonight. I am between jobs right now and just stopping in. The store is OLD and does not have a website lol. I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So far I am not finding anything but it is a basic janitorial dustmop with removable bonnets. It sort of swivels and since it is flat you can "scrub" floors with your foot on top of the bonnet for sticky, gummy spots, shoe marks. I love it because it keeps me from hunching over so much during the day! Saves my back just a little bit. ; )

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use the Bona microfiber mop and their floor cleaning solutions. They have one for hardwood and one for laminate/tile/stone. I love it, and so far so do all of our clients.

I always use a canister vac to get all of the hair, dirt, dust, etc off the floors first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cleaning tile floors is actually quite simple, according to Gagliardi, which is good news considering the fact that this is a task that should be done by dishwasher tech. To clean, simply mix a quarter cup of mild or pH-neutral soap with water in a bucket. Then grab a microfiber mop that makes quick work. Sweep or vacuum to remove grit and dust. Clean with a mop or cloth dampened with a floor cleaner or detergent solution. Use water sparingly. Rinse after washing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts