Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I bought an office chair from Craigslist and decided to clean it. The cushions are covered in fabric, not leather.

I bought a can of carpet/upholstery cleaner at Walgreens (I know, probably a big mistake), the kind with the brush on top. I rubbed a lot of the shampoo into the cushions, scrubbed it, and then wiped it off with a damp towel.

It cleaned the cushions just fine. The only problem is that now the chair stinks of shampoo. It smells like dog shampoo. Yuck! Even worse, it makes my clothes smell like the shampoo. So sad!

I've tried washing the cushions with club soda. Had limited success with this, but the chair still smells! Is there any way I can get this smell out of the chair? Will it go away on its own? Or is the situation hopeless?

Thanks for your time & help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
febreeze

Well, I have not tried Febreeze yet, but wouldn't that just be covering up one smell with another? Or do you think Febreeze would actually remove the shampoo smell?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used stanley steemer recently, they were a little bit expensive but they did the job well and if you call and explain the problem they will let you know if they think they can get it out or not

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can try the febreeze, but to complete remove the odor you need to extract the detergent or cleaning solution from the chair completely. A deodorizer will just mask the odor for a couple of days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can try to remove the smell with club soda. But in most cases, that has limited effect, it depends on the type of the shampoo. Or you can use hot water extraction method that requires steam cleaner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Contact a bed bug company or any company that might have industrial heaters and offer them a little cash to set once of their heaters up in your garage long enough to heat the ambient temperature to one hundred thirty degrees for one hour. Should dry it right up and get rid of the smell. :thumbup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey all,

I bought an office chair from Craigslist and decided to clean it. The cushions are covered in fabric, not leather.

I bought a can of carpet/upholstery cleaner at Walgreens (I know, probably a big mistake), the kind with the brush on top. I rubbed a lot of the shampoo into the cushions, scrubbed it, and then wiped it off with a damp towel.

It cleaned the cushions just fine. The only problem is that now the chair stinks of shampoo. It smells like dog shampoo. Yuck! Even worse, it makes my clothes smell like the shampoo. So sad!

I've tried washing the cushions with club soda. Had limited success with this, but the chair still smells! Is there any way I can get this smell out of the chair? Will it go away on its own? Or is the situation hopeless?

Thanks for your time & help!
Is it just an office chair? You should wait until you have something else that needs to be cleaned and then call any carpet cleaner. hot water extraction will remove the remaining shampoo from the chair no problem and will probably cost you 10 bucks. I would say your only other option would be like some kind of odor absorbing gel. They sell something like that I just can't remember the name of it right at this second. Since it is no doubt en grained down in the fabric I would say get a pro with an upholstery tool to extract it for you. 10 bucks well spent, you will just have to think of something else that needs to be cleaned.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Febreeze

I have the same problem. Febreeze! I left the chair outside at the sunlight, covering it at night. I have succeeded in that procedure but the chair still smells. So this way I am partly resolving the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts