Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi cleaners, I am the custodian at a factory that runs 24/7 I'm the only custodian and I work M-F 5am-1:30pm.
There's one main restroom with two toilets and two urinals. There's also one other little-known about non-gender-specific restroom tucked away in the shipping office.
I do ok at keeping the ceramic tile floor semi-clean but with it being the main restroom there's always someone walking in when Im mopping.
The floor is hard to sweep because water is usually sprinkled on the floor from the sink or urine from the urinals.

I'm looking for some advice on a better way to clean it.
I wish I could post pictures but my account is to new

·
Registered
690 Posts
I do not envy you with this one! Could you put up those triangular "wet floor" signs? Plus directions to the other bathroom??? You cant possibly get a floor clean with people walking on it while wet.

I think what I would do is this and it may sound silly. If the floor is damp, theres not much point in sweeping or vacuuming. I would start mopping, and puishh the junk, hair and trash into piles which I'd pick up with paper towels. Then, after doing that I would truly mop to get it a lot cleaner. UGH! Public bathrooms!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All good ideas. I forgot to mention there is no floor drain.

I suppose I'll just have to tell management that the way I've been doing it really isn't working and at least one a week i should shut it down completely and do the floor correctly.

·
Registered
690 Posts
That sounds like a plan. Some of the residential bathrooms I clean are yucky, but my one commercial account was the absolute worst! Even the ladies bathroom was gross. This place used a lot of Bounty paper towels and Charmin toilet paper. Both of those brands leave behind a huge amount of dust. One of the hardest (and ickiest) parts of cleaning those bathrooms was dealing with the huge piles of grayish dust (which vacuums dont seem to remove well). I'd end up mopping it into a pile and then using paper towels to wipe it up. When I left that place, I wanted to launder my shoes!
Glad to dont work for them now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem. Warehouse lots of guys in and out of restroom while cleaning. Place your janitor cart across the door so they cannot enter. My problem was the minute i was finished they were walking on my wet floor making it appear it was never cleaned. I bought a box fan so now the floor dries quickly.

·
Registered
690 Posts
LOL!

I agree, humans can be so disgusting. I will never understand those that drop used toilet paper on the floor, who dont flush, who toss trash outside the building onto the sidewalks. I will never get people who toss their cigarette butts onto the ground when there are ashtrays provided.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2 Suggestions.
1. vacuum the floor with a wet dry vacuum or Try 3M New Easy Trap Dust Sheets which works of wet or dry surfaces including floors. Youtube.com Easy Trap Duster Flat Mop
2. Mop the floor with microfiber mop system and Dampen The Mop Pads so the floor dries quicker and change out the mop pads frequently.
Look for a floor cleaning product that air dries and doesn't need to be rinsed/mopped off. I just bought a gallon of Clean Break A Neutral pH Cleaner & Degreaser for a shop restroom. I mop the floor with a microfiber scrubbing pad and the floor seems to dry pretty quickly and looks good.
Brad BD Janitorial

1 - 9 of 9 Posts