Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot drive due to medical condition. But I thought about starting my own cleaning company and hiring people to do the jobs residential and or commerical. I can advertise well and have built a webiste to get the jobs. I thought if i found a few reliable people I could still make it work. Am i dreaming? Would it be way to hard?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first questions to you would be:

1. How will you do quality checks?
2. How will you purchase supplies on the fly if a cleaning tech runs out of something or something breaks?
3. As the owner of the company, if a client wants to meet you or wants you to come to the home to see what a tech missed or did not do, how are you going to get there?
4. How are you going to do estimates?
5. How will you be guaranteed that your techs are actually doing what they are supposed to do if you cannot get to the properties?

Those are just the first questions I would have for you as a potential client.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No. Cleaning is not only about cleaning but customer service. You won't be able to excel in this industry without meeting your potential clients and networking with them to gain their trust and business.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't see why he couldn't? He clearly said he thought about hiring reliable people to help him. Well if these reliable people have cars and can drive you the places you need to be, and you set it up to where they know how to clean and get the supplies needed in their own cars why couldn't he? If no one in the business could drive than I say heck no, but if you got a couple employee who can drive and willing to drive you than I don't see why not. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Western, I don't think your wrong. Technically he could, yes. Would he excel? maybe, but probably not. It's my belief that him as an owner has certain obligations: quality checks, networking, checking in on employees, estimates, etc. Can he hire someone to do all of this? Sure, but will it result in significantly higher overhead? Yup. Most people make the mistake thinking that if you are charging a customer $200 per day for a weekly cleaning you are making that much. It's more of a profit of $50.00 for the owner after supplies, expenses, payroll, etc etc.

Will you hire people that already know the cleaning industry? Will you hire managers that know what to look for in a commercial or residential space? What if something goes wrong at an account, which it will, how will you meet the needs of that customer if you can't look them in the face?

Lastly, I believe companies succeed because of the vision, insight, knowledge, and goals the owner believes in and passes down to their employees which must be repeated over and over until it hurts you in the head so the people that you are managing have something to work for and goals they must achieve. Otherwise your employees will get bored, lose interest and quality in their job. It will be another case of high turnover in the cleaning industry thus leading to less quality work and you'll have to spend more time and money hiring new people and training them. If you aren't doing something (cleaning) that your employees are doing on a daily basis you will lose touch with them and they wont respect you for it.

Can he prove my philosophy wrong? Yes, so don't let me be the negative Nancy and kill your dreams. This is just my thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think that could go for any type of business though. Driving is just a luxury not a need. It's kind of like having a carpet cleaner, you technically don't need a carpet cleaner, but god does it help things go faster. Same with a car, there are definetly ways around having a car, but if you had your OWN car it would save time and stress. I say if you have your mind set on something to be scared go for it. You never know what couldn't happen, just be always prepared for the worst and know what you are getting yourself into.

27 Posts
I don't see why he couldn't? He clearly said he thought about hiring reliable people to help him. Well if these reliable people have cars and can drive you the places you need to be, and you set it up to where they know how to clean and get the supplies needed in their own cars why couldn't he? If no one in the business could drive than I say heck no, but if you got a couple employee who can drive and willing to drive you than I don't see why not. Am I wrong?

Define reliable. We thought we had reliable people to and it's a good thing we checked their work. They sometimes missed a lot of things out of laziness. You have to be mobile in this business to keep your business.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If would be a bit of a stretch,but if you hired someone (or partnered with someone) that had a license,then you could work as a team.

Would have to be someone that you could trust-I'm thinking a spouse...it would also be better if at some point you could obtain a license vs never.

http://www.cleaningbizsecrets.weebly.com

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm lmao at "check with the cleaning department to get a license". lol :laughing::thumbup:

There was a lady in Canada that used to do all her work by riding the bus. Dang, I can't think of her name.... but I will!! Anyway, it depends where you live. If you live in a place such as NYC it would be easy. If you live in Abilene, Texas you might have a little trouble.

As for getting reliable people to do anything in this day and age.... forget it! But it could be like the lottery.... you could be the one that finds the perfect people at the perfect time to get this done. I wouldn't spend over $20 in trying to do it but I say give it a shot. Write yourself up a business plan and get the show on the road. If you do try it, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi mccand2014, you are certainly not dreaming. It is more than possible! I've seen many business owners start off and succeed despite a certain condition that requires them to avoid heavy lifting or too much running. You can definitely make it work, you just need to have reliable employees who have driver's license.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I cannot drive due to medical condition. But I thought about starting my own cleaning company and hiring people to do the jobs residential and or commerical. I can advertise well and have built a webiste to get the jobs. I thought if i found a few reliable people I could still make it work. Am i dreaming? Would it be way to hard?
I currently have no car (divorce) and my license is suspended due to a DUI over a year ago.

But I'm still going to go at it. I live in San Diego, Ca in a little beach town that has tons of residential potential clients for house cleaning.

So I'm getting a bicycle trailer to get to my jobs, ya know, the ones that you can put little kids in - I figure I can fit my vacuum and other supplies there.

Can't get any "greener" than that, huh :)

- Michael

1 - 14 of 14 Posts