Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woohoo! First post in the new forum!!!

Is there that much floor work out there, aside from carpet cleaning, to keep someone busy full time? I've considered at one point adding this service, but was hesitant to invest the money on equipment and supplies not knowing what type of market there is. I know every area is different, but are there any of you floor guys who do floor care full time?

Is it mostly cleaning/stripping/sealing/waxing VCT, or is there a lot I'm missing?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Any place that has VCT needs to have it stripped/waxed/maintained.
Most guys who do it full time have maintenance contracts with chain stores of some kind. A guy that I used to work with has had the same district of Family Dollar stores for almost ten years now. He strips them annually, does a maintenance scrub/wax quarterly, and buffs them monthly. It's his full-time job.
I am not interested in working every night so I don't do any grocery stores or high traffic stores that need constant maintenance. I have a developer with a lot of commercial properties that I have been doing some new construction jobs for and some smaller accounts that I do monthly or quarterly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mike,
I had many contractor customers ranging from one man to 450 janitors. If you do commercial buildings, you pretty well must do floors. The old saying, if you want to get the account, you better be able to take care of the whole account. As an example, major high rise buildings have mostly carpet but stone lobbys, and kitchen areas and or some offices which are either vct wood and cork and mamolium. Each handled differently. As a side note, most of these types of buildings go for approx 6.5 cents a foot with one man carring a 35 to 40 thousand sq. ft. work load. The periodicals are usualy done by a septialty crew.
Randy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts