Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question, I am just starting out in the hood cleaning business and wanted to get everyone's feedback on starting on a shoe string.
How did you start out and where are you now, time frame, equipment, preferred degreasers etc

thanks

·
Registered
620 Posts
KEC is a double edged sword in my eyes. In the arena of PW'ing professions, KEC has the cheapest startup costs. If I were to re-enter the market I would purchase small plug in machines capable of utilizing hot tap water, hire a low budget work force and make sure they were trained properly and pound the pavement closing accouts myself with commissioned salesmen.

Here is where that other end of the sword comes into play. It's an inexpensive segment to capitalize but it also requires the most knowlege. How to wrap, what chems to use, how to clean fusible links, how to get inside duct work, how to install access panels, how to do estimates. A hood cleaning company is 100% liable if a fire occurs in that venting system and their company sticker is on that hood with a recent cleaning. The job needs to be done right.

Here is a little article I wrote a few years ago on the topic.

http://www.parestaurant.org/pra_matters/documents/PRAiss304.pdf

The article is on page 15.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Joey, we took our machines to the steam setting which reduced flow output to do salamanders, fryers etc. but production times were too slow to do an entire system. It can be done, just as you can frame a house with a hammer and nails its just a question of efficiency.

Thank you for the kind words on the article (you as well, Theresa) Hope everyone is enjoying your holiday season.

Dave, my days of grease and lore are gone so now I just don the skirt and occasionally clean decks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts