Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use a squirt of dishwashing liquid ( I like Dawn ) in a sink full of warm water and clean my granite countertops. Method Granite cleaner is also a great option but its not cheap. You can also use about 2 tbsp of Castile soap mixed with 2 cups water in a spray bottle.This is also safe to use for marble countertops.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey rubyluise, as kitchen is a core part of your house therefore it gets dirty fast. Its cleaning is very essential. Bleach is of course a good cleaning option, but I would like to suggest one should go for green cleaning or household cleaning products. Lemon and vinegar can be used in many different ways around the kitchen. Use vinegar to remove hard water deposits and kills germs and brings back some shine. Just sprinkle some baking soda in the sink and use the lemon as a scrubber! Thanks for sharing this.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Oh, please, do NOT use bleach on any sort of granite!!! It can damage it or causing "etching" where the stone starts to crumble. There are many products out there made specifically for granite floors and counters. However, in my own work, I have found that using a top quality all purpose cleaner works equally as well. I use Watkins stuff a lot on granite, both floors and counters. Also Meyer's Clean Day. Target carries both these, Walmart carries neither, and my local Publix grocery carries Watkins. You can also buy both online easily but be careful because the mark ups online can be quite high. For instance: I can buy the large bottles of Meyer's Clean Day at Publix for 8.99. All you do is mix it with water, and doing it that way saves money. I looked on Ebay several times looking for some of their hard to find scents, and several folks wanted ridiculously high amounts of money for the same size bottle. One guy wanted $22.00 for the large bottle! After shopping around, I did find one carrier who had what I wanted at a fair price. Watkins makes a lot of different products and has perhaps 12 scents. The common ones are lemon and lavender. But I prefer several of the oddball ones and my customers prefer them as well.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Adriana, I couldnt agree more. And thank you for posting something informative. I am also an RN of many years. Gopt out of nursing after a health crisis. Now I clean houses, and I like it. I stopped using any sort of bleach (EXCEPT on my work rags-) over a year ago. Knew it was not healthy, and terrible for my skin, lungs, everything you mentioned. I had a customer demand - - DEMAND - I use bleach on her tile floor. I did not do this. I used an H2O2 cleaner and it did beautifully on her white tiles. She fired me at the end of the day because I didnt use bleach, even though it must have been obvious her floor was spotless and very white! I took her money and did not look back.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well, please do NOT use bleach on granite....or on laminate counters! NOT safe and NOT a good idea.

I agree with the person who mentioned Methods Granite cleaner. But you can use ANY product made specifically for stone.

One home I clean has granite counters. I dont know why, but my regular granite cleaner made them look dull. Clean - but dull. So I used a little bit of Windex and that put the sparkle back. Weird.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts