Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All!
I am new to this group, but have been reading through previous posts for the last week or so. Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge and experiences, I have definitely learned a lot in a short timeframe.

I have two questions:

- I am getting ready to bid on a construction clean up opportunity, do I need to have a 'license' in order to do this? I am in Ohio.

- I have an opportunity to bid to clean a 4 story office building. I am in need of help figuring out how to price our services. The will want traditional cleaning (dust/trash/sweep) with some added on services (floor polish/windows) that will be an add on cost. I primarily need help with how to price the nightly cleaning.

On the suggestion from someone in this group, I have bought the Don Aslett book, Construction Cleanup, but I will not have it until next week.

To ease any concern... We are bonded and insured. :D Not a fly by night organization. I started the service on the side but quickly realized the opportunities were too great, so I jumped in with both feet last year. Business has been good.:)

Thank you!
Wil

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a lot of the same questions that you have. I have just started a service with 2 other girls. We are all mommies and have left other jobs to try post-construction cleaning. We have all done residential in the past and are still doing that. We just don't know what we need to be a real company. It is scary when started and we have received a lot of different advice. All we have done so far is to get our insurance in place.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Excellent advice Cat.

Wil, not every state or even counties in some states require licensing (as in a business license) for individual persons in the cleaning industry while some of those same states will require registration of your company for tax purposes if you are a business that employs others. Best to ask those questions of your individual cities/ states powers to be

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check your states web site they should have which types of businesses need to be licensed.

Do you know how many square feet your 4 story building is?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!

I will be calling the state tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the direction.

AllShine registered as an LLC, however the construction firm mentioned license so I want to make sure I'm covered.

I will have the square footage after my meeting Monday.

Thanks again!

Wil

·
Registered
81 Posts
about your 4 story building...how many sqft and aslo how many nights a week...when your pricing a job take into consideration these things: What all do they want done? How big is the building? How long will it take? How much will you have to pay others to help but you still make a profitt?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bldg Square Footage

I had mentioned in a previous post an opportunity I have a commercial building. Here are the details:

25000 sq foot...rentable space. 5 separate businesses, 36 offices and at least 20 cubicles.
6 total bathrooms (3 stalls each, mirror, sink), all with showers (~1400 sq ft total)
4 kitchen areas (~952 sq ft total)
sweep, trash, dust
mop tile flooring
mop entrance to floors (1930 sq ft)

Twice a year: wax all tiled flooring (include in the quote).
Remove debris from three patios as needed.
Provide trash bags, cleaning supplies, TP, paper towels, soap.

Is the sq footage for the kitchen, bathrooms and entrance considered part of the 25000 rentable space?

For the experts out there, what is reasonable to quote for this opportunity? They requested a per square foot price.

Thank you!
Wil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts