Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would not mind on the gender of who to hire. I would hire either male or female provided they offer quality services.
What's the point of a gender preference and then their cleaning service is shoddy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a man just starting out with a cleaning business, I plan on hiring women as I just think clients prefer that for home cleaning. If it was commercial cleaning then I think men or more acceptable or if I decided to expand into specialized carpet cleaning etc then that wouldn't be a problem too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a man just starting out with a cleaning business, I plan on hiring women as I just think clients prefer that for home cleaning. If it was commercial cleaning then I think men or more acceptable or if I decided to expand into specialized carpet cleaning etc then that wouldn't be a problem too.
Good point! I like that idea, for residential, female for me is a good fit. As for commercial/manufacturing cleaning, I think male is a good fit. With all those big cleaning machine to use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maintaining a clean and tidy home is usually a sign of good emotional health. When cleaning becomes obsessive, however, an underlying mental disorder may be the cause.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see that this is a really posting, but I'm going to respond anyway.

My husband and I are a husband-wife cleaning duo. We are great at what we do.

Unfortunately, the stereotype of men can't clean is awful. I can't stand it to be honest. I have seen men AND women who seriously don't clean or aren't great at it.

My husband used to work in the big city with a large cleaning crew that would clean the mansions in the area. I'm talking 10+ rooms - huge. He has a great eye for detail and always knows what to look for. If there's a spot, he's gotta work on it. We clean the weird spots that people don't even think of.

Not only that, but on an off note here, I have a close relative that is a firefighter and is male. They all have to pitch together to clean the firehouse and it's generally a male dominant career. There have been more women join over the years, which is awesome, but they all take turns cleaning the bathrooms/kitchen/etc. - that is part of their job. At least where my relative worked. He was great at cleaning, too. A great eye for detail he also had.

Here is what I have noticed as far as men cleaning goes and a lot of it drives me up the wall! It pays to be a husband-wife duo - a lot of people are honestly more comfortable with a woman cleaning their home than the man.

If we have a walk through where a female requests it, I go. If a man has requested the cleaning, my husband goes. People are just more comfortable that way.

I have had people make snide remarks when I have done walkt throughs and explain that we are a husband-wife team that clean. One woman said, "Oh, and how is your husband when he cleans?" and laughed. I assured her that he had a better eye for detail than me at times. She laughed and said, "I mean, is he thorough?" and laughed some more. Needless to say that woman didn't want a cleaning service, she wanted a slave to boss around so she had one clean with us and didn't want to re-book because we had "too many rules" (thank goodness).

Another lady did a similar thing, but seemed like she took my word for it instead of continue to laugh about it like the other lady. She wasn't needing a ton of cleaning so I did that job solo.

It's true, though. The majority of people that are requesting cleaning services from us are female and they prefer a female coming to their home to do the walk through and clean. When my husband and I pair up it's great, but there are times where for instance a mom wants to leave the house and doesn't feel safe leaving her teenage daughter there while she runs to the pharmacy when there is another man in the house. It's just the way our society rolls. It's not that women are better cleaners than men, it's that they are afraid of getting hurt or being in a compromising situation.

We hired on another employee that is also male and it sounds terrible when I say, "We need another female employee." I want to still hire the best candidate, but hope that candidate will be female just because of how the business is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think that men and women are both perfectly able to learn how to clean. However, there's still this misconception that women are better cleaners. If I were to have a cleaning service and needed to hire someone, I'd play safe and hire women.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts