Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys handle furniture when you go into a home to do a clean? Do you ask the customer to do it or do you always try and do it yourself as an upgraded service? Also, how do you charge for your efforts? By the piece, hour, room, etc…

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well this applies to tile and grout (which as you know Nathan is very common in the new subdivions) - I tell the customer we don't move small knick knack breakables like vases, pictures, lamps, electronics , appliaces or big heavy big cases or shelving.

Everything else we can usually move. There are teflon sliders you can put under the furniture usually.

Carpet cleaning is a bit easier because you move something real quick, clean under it and then move it back. But with tile and grout you need to work with an area for an extended period of time, scrubbing, letting chemicals dwell, etc.

hope that helps

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you do when you get there and the customer hasn't moved all the small things which seems to always happen. Do you just add it to their bill with a quick change order or do you wait for them to do it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's not too common but it's not a hard fast dead set rule either.

If there's a couple knick knacks, then yeah we'll move em. But if it's like a big dresser with a bunch of picture frames on it then "no". Or a cabinet full of china "no".

Plus also, lots of things have legs that raise them usually a couple inches off the ground so I can clean underneath, and also when the item has been there so long it's not very dirty at all so you can't tell.

But usually when the customer lets me in the house I look and can immediately tell them if something needs moving or that there is something we don't move.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've had better luck than I have then. Sounds like you have done a good job at setting customer expectations.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is your experience in regard painting indoors?

I imagine you have to do ALOT more moving than we can get away with. People aren't too happy when you don't paint behind their dresser. But people don't mind as much when you don't clean under the tv stand.

I think it has to do with "permanance" of the job. Cleaning is like a temporary thing, something that will get dirty again. But I notice that if I'm doing some kind of regrouting or tile repair, the expectation seems more thorough, as in if they'r going to be to have it "re-done" (whatever that means in the customers mind) then they want it done all the way...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm a carpet cleaner. When they call I tell them that I dont move the heavy stuff like china cabinets, stereo systems and that they should remove any small niknaks, expensive things from end tables and coffee tables. I dont charge extra for moving chairs, sofas, end tables or coffee tables. Most times they dont want me to move the sofa and they end up moving the stuff themselves. In any case moving things doesnt take a lot of time. Customers for me have been very cooperative in this area.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most times they dont want me to move the sofa and they end up moving the stuff themselves. In any case moving things doesnt take a lot of time. Customers for me have been very cooperative in this area.
welcome to the forum :)

just had to share this story about carpet cleaning and sofa moving.

did a clean for a 'mother-in-law' apartment in a rural home a while back for a realtor who needed to show the house. agreed to also do the carpets which i normally don't touch. bottom line, all furniture still in house, none of the knick knacks were moved...made lots of money since i charged by the hour.

i debated whether or not to move the queen-sized sofa bed when cleaning the carpet and wound up doing it. it was seriously heavy & i weigh 108 lbs...not fun. but thank goodness i moved it. there must have been 2 lbs. of dry dog food under there and half the stuffing out of the sofa from the MICE that had been romping around under there.

they also had a stash under a small bookcase :laughing: dog food doritos, etc.

too funny, suzi g

·
Registered
21 Posts
OMG, that gives me the creeps.
Because of that post, I'm gonna have to check under every bed and couch with a flashlight :cry:

108 lbs and moving queen size sofa beds!?
Want a carpet cleaning job?:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not if I get her first! She's mine! I think I'm in love.

Hey this brings up a story of mine. Client calls me, has furniture in the garage waiting to move into brand new home. She comes out to show me the couch, I pull the cushion to look under, find a mouse nest behind. I pull the cushion the rest of the way and the mouse falls at her feet! She went screaming into the house and never came back out. Needless to say I charged what I wanted.

az

·
Registered
167 Posts
hmmmm,

NH or AZ? :unsure:

snow or sun. do i even have to think about that? except NH doesn't have scorpions & if there are any tarantulas in AZ, no way!

those mice love sofas don't they? i cleaned another home that had a good size nest in their sofa bed.

how hard did you laugh when that mouse dropped out and she flew into the house? poor mouse. sounds like the screaming probably scared it silly. did they keep that sofa or was she too freaked out about it? funny story.

seriously, for me the furniture moving is no big deal but i agree you need to definitely do a thorough walk-thru and determine/agree ahead of time what is moveable or vermin infested...definitely more money.

i don't normally do carpet cleaning since i do residential (mostly bi-weekly) cleans & if i can move something with one arm, i will. otherwise i just clean under it. when i do a move-out/move-in, i'll consider cleaning the carpet but don't own a machine and the rental hassle is not for me.

have considered buying a machine but wouldn't know what would be effective and not too expensive. any suggestions?

suzi g

·
Registered
49 Posts
sorry

I didn't see you responded, sorry it took so long. Of course I have recommendations for machines. You can start out with a good portable unit, will run you about 2 to 5 thousand, depending on what you are wanting and willing to spend. I will post some links for you to look at later, it's bed time for bozo.

As for the mouse, it was already dead when it hit the floor. I cleaned up the couch and she gave it to her mom. It was pretty funny, except for the fact that I soon realized I had to clean up the nest. Mice are not too common here, so it doesn't happen much.

We do have scorpions, some places more than others. I've had quite a few close calls especially when moving furniture. One BIG scorpion was on my clothes after moving a couch and I didn't realize it untill it fell off. Whew, close one. As for turantulas, they are pretty much extinct around here, unless you go out into the desert or further south towards Tucson. I always find some pretty interesting bugs when working on houses in the desert. Last week I found a "Palo Verde Beetle", it was about four inches long! There are some crazy looking bugs out here, but they are rare. I also had a run in with a four foot long snake, but it wasn't a rattler, It was harmless. There are also coyotes everywhere, I've hit a couple of them in the van. The great thing about Arizona is that there are very few mosquitos and flies.

az

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't know if garage sale still working in many areas. If you want something new in house try garage sale, your furniture in your house. An many store furniture give less amount if you buy many furniture. If garage sale won't work. You can hire people who can handle your belongings with care.

·
Banned
107 Posts
What do you do when you get there and the customer hasn't moved all the small things which seems to always happen. Do you just add it to their bill with a quick change order or do you wait for them to do it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well this applies to tile and grout (which as you know Nathan is very common in the new subdivions) - I tell the customer we don't move small knick knack breakables like vases, pictures, lamps, electronics , appliaces or big heavy big cases or shelving.

Everything else we can usually move. There are teflon sliders you can put under the furniture usually.

Carpet cleaning is a bit easier because you move something real quick, clean under it and then move it back. But with tile and grout you need to work with an area for an extended period of time, scrubbing, letting chemicals dwell, etc.

hope that helps
I agree with Diego,. this is what i'm usually doing too..

1 - 20 of 58 Posts