Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I having no further advice for Cubed. Through with that. His list of questions remain unanswered and clearly will remain so until he personally completes the research.

Regarding me saying a scripture (study to show thyself approved), if anyone is offended by that, too bad. And my signature is "write the vision and make it plain" is also a scripture. Offended? This country has not ceased to be free so your offense is indeed your problem. And lastly, me "thanking you for the compliment" was obviously sarcasm.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Cubed
I am unfortunately not in your area, so I can't give you the local advice you are looking for, I hope you find someone who can :thumbup:

Too bad the only person to respond from your area didnt want to offer any friendly advice but as I have read among these boards and others, there are many who are really friendly and helpful

As a new business owner myself, I want to say to you good luck in your venture, there are so many things to learn and apply to your business, everybody does it differently, but you will always find someone who can relate to you

As someone who has done it on a shoestring ( which is an overstatement :D) my biggest advice is get creative with your advertising and marketing and networking

Everyone is a possible contact, be nice and professional to everyone you come across, I have been working on a cross marketing idea that I will post when I get it all set up, I am very optimistic about it because it will be beneficial to me as well as other small businesses. Think about things that you can do for others as they help you advance your business.

As for the regulations and stuff, you gotta find someone local to talk to. Call SBA or contact SCORE ( I think they are nationwide?) Or even just call local agencies, even if you dont call the right department, they will point you in the right direction.

Do read books, specifically on commercial cleaning, but also business books in general, you may get addicted to reading internet boards too, I did, learn from others.

Sorry so long, this was my first post, I read all the new posts but am so busy growing I havent taken the time to post, but felt compelled to encourage you :thumbsup:
Great advice,

All of the above are fantastic!

Also go to your local Realtors, Chamber of Commerce, Builders/Contractors and let them know you are in business.

I started my business 4 years ago on a serious shoestring "less than $100" by marketing at a local gym and with realtors. Had to make payments to finance insurance, etc., but got it going in the first 2 months for under $100 and still going strong after 4 years.

You can do it!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
This thread is nothing short of hilarious comedy. And I'm a bible thumper? Thanks for the compliment! I appreciate that.

Cubed, have you notice that in spite of the hysteria, "comfort", etc......no one did your research for you?

My last comment
and then I'll leave them to enjoy themselves. My original advice stands. Do your research because no one (including the women on this thread) is going to do it for you.
Cat,

ENOUGH. Do you realize how hostile you sound? Please...lighten up. For someone who DOES quote the Bible entirely too much for a professional forum, you sure have a way with words.

I truly don't believe it will be your "last comment" but that's okay...if I read on I can see you did continue to comment. LOL! Now that's hilarious.

Just understand that comments are NOT actually necessary.

For the record, I answered Cubed in another thread.

Just because you didn't visit it or read it...it doesn't mean it wasn't answered. This thread got woefully hijacked so it was more productive to answer elsewhere. I gave suggestions and advice based on my own experience. While not one particular person can answer every question, it helps if a community responds with their own advice and viewpoint. If you don't wish to be part of that community, then so be it. It's a collective effort and I don't believe I ever saw this person single you out as the only person hired to do "his job".

As far as the Bible is concerned, here are a few of your sermons just this week:

http://www.cleaningtalk.com/f19/where-go-here-2310/#post13355
"Scripture says..."

http://www.cleaningtalk.com/f19/need-advice-2398/#post13344
"The Bible says..."

While it certainly doesn't quote scripture, this one really amazed me considering the Christian nature of the author...not only did she repeatedly state the client used "lies and hysterics" (like we've never heard that insult here, right?) but she flat-out called her a criminal. Then, when the client had the audacity to relay her dissatisfaction to the point of paying the bank fees to stop the check, the author stalked her. Then she came online to attack the condition of her former client's home and the client's ability to be a good parent all in the guise of "helping" the mysterious lurkers that seem to only follow HER "articles". Interesting.
http://www.cleaningtalk.com/f19/when-client-tries-stiff-you-bill-2316/#post12982

Cat, why exactly do you come here? It's an honest question. I am really confused and would like to know.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I having no further advice for Cubed. Through with that. His list of questions remain unanswered and clearly will remain so until he personally completes the research.

Regarding me saying a scripture (study to show thyself approved), if anyone is offended by that, too bad. And my signature is "write the vision and make it plain" is also a scripture. Offended? This country has not ceased to be free so your offense is indeed your problem. And lastly, me "thanking you for the compliment" was obviously sarcasm.
Thanks for confirming your ability to be mean and have no other purpose to be here than to be disruptive.

ETA: The questions were addressed almost four days ago.
You may want to read the following: James 3:17-18

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hope this helps in some way...

This thread is a joke... This is a really good example of forum boards. Yes, you can get a lot of good ideas and advice, however it's a wonder some of you have any clients at all.

Some of you have not done enough research. WE ALL need mentors in our lives. The best way to learn is to teach, so it may be fruitful to teach others and become a positive mentor.

As far as research. that only goes so far outside our cleaning industry. I think that was the reason they came here in the first place, for research. I know many people who wouldn't even know to ask the questions that were asked.

I live in Washington St, so some questions I can't answer, however clearly the ones who do live there don't know the answers. sorry :sad:

First before I answer what I can let me point out that I see a common mistake that most of us make while starting out. fact is most of us never overcome it.

Sounds like you are not sure what business you are in. it is all to easy to try and clean everything and never being the best at anything. Cleaning commercial accounts vs. residential are to very different beasts. Doing foreclosure-cleaning is not the same as commercial or residential. The first question you must ask yourself before any other question is this... What business am I in? Then you will be much clearer at what you need to ask and you will be much clearer on the MENTORS you will need to surround yourself with.

With that said...

1. Are there a lot of rules and regulations I should know before I start going after contracts?

This is a very open ended question however I can tell you, you will save a lot of time if you find another cleaning company that does what it is that you want to do, (who is not in your area). I am sure they will teach you. One area that many cleaning businesses overlook is a contract with your clients. NEVER skip the paper work before the job. it will come back to bite you. it is all to easy to just shake hands, do the job, and then expect to be paid. Do a contract.

You will need to check with your area to see what local rules and regulations are. That is one area I can't answer.

2. Are there certain business's I shouldn't go after?

Again this question can be answered by asking the question... What do I do?

The more specialized you become the higher the price you can ask and the happier the client.

As an example. Here in WA State as many of you know there are a ton of coffee shops, if you created a cleaning business that only cleaned coffee shops, now you know who your clients are and all your testimonials will be only from coffee shop owners. This will focus your marketing.

3. Can you recommend an insurance and bond company?

Again I can't answer this question because I am not in your area. if you were here I would gladly pass on my insurance company.

4. Should I apply for a DBE and 8A?

Again what business are you in? I know I keep saying this, however I feel there is nothing more important then knowing this. The DBE could be of great benefit if it complements your business plan.

5. Being a new company, what type of contract should I start trying to obtain with first?

What kind of work do you like doing? do you like working with homeowners? Do you like working at night?

Remember most cleaning companies do a poor job of cleaning and offering any kind of customer service. It is not hard to find a cleaning job. Build your company on "the experience" Create a high level client experience one that will WOW! them beyond what any other cleaning company will do. If you do that, your business will only grow. People talk and if you create the experience then they will tell others.

6. Is foreclosure-cleaning big in our area and if so, would you suggest I try to hit that market also?

This could be a specialized market. I have steered clear of it over the years only because sometimes it is hard to get paid in a timely manner. This may change with new laws and such. If you specialized in this though, you will learn how to make the right contacts and how to get paid. Your whole business will be set up to offer the best service in foreclosures. TRUST ME, If you get known for this, realtors talk and they are always having problems finding a good cleaning company.

I know I don't have all the answers but I hope there was somthing that helps. That is why you need to ask questions. the more you ask the more little nuggets you will be able to keep. Many times you won't get one but the one time that you do will be worth all the questions.

Good luck,

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I started ,I didn't have any idea how to promote and manage my cleaning business. I even didn't have a business cards! Then, step by step , I found the best ways for me to manage it. First, I did research about competitors, their rates and services, then I did my rates a little bit less then competitors rates. I found some local newspapers. I tried approximately 5 or 6 different newspapers and only one worked best for me. 3 or 4 month later I did my own website and tried adwords ads. It was helpful, but quite expensive. Now I'm growing my business by different promotions and referrals plus newspapers ads.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Excellent Foreclosure Cleanup Training Guide with REO contacts

Hello, I found this excellent Foreclosure Cleanup Training guide with the REO bank contacts that shoudl help you get started,Click here now for the link :thumbup:

For those who are from Maryland, DC and VA, I would like to know how's the cleaning business going for you? I'm very interested in starting my own commericial cleaning business. Are there a lot of rules and regulations I should know before I start going after contracts? Are there certain business's I shouldn't go after? Can you recommend an insurance and bond company? Should I apply for a DBE and 8A? Being a newly company, what type of contract should I start trying to obtain with first? My staff will be myself and a friend. Is foreclosure-cleaning big in our area and if so, would you suggest I try to hit that market also? I would love to hear back from you guys about my questions. I do have many more to ask also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This sounds like a legit person asking for advice. I was once there.

Cat, your response was one that would discourage me from ever returning to this site for any assistance. Google research is often a crazy drive on a road to nowhere, especially if you are new to the business searches.

Lighten up a bit and help folks out and don't assume everyone knows how to find all the answers.

cubedmack, i hope you stick around for other feedback.

suzi g
I second that. Don't let people like Cat discourage you. Ask any question you want even if some people call you a lazy high school student, ignore them and wait for real advice to come through.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello, Torrey. Long time, no see. How's your business coming along? I have 90+ clients and have two estimates lined up for Monday. And planning to interview for a new employee on Monday evening.

The bible says "study to show thyself approved".
Again with the arrogance? Why are you even on this board?
The bible also says" Talk no more so very proudly, let not arrogance come from your mouth; for the Lord is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed."

The bible also has certain opinions about women speaking in public.. *snicker* so please don't go there.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Cleaning business is also like any other business . You should have the proper infrastructure for starting in the market. Rates for servicing should be fixed as maintaining the tax pay sheet and compatibility regulation schemes is necessary. It also helps in attaining complete customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now for some help. While I may not be in your area, get as much information from others that you can. As far as what I can offer - check out Eco-Friendly Residential Cleaners Association. Membership includes insurance and bonding as well as information (in newsletter format) on growing your business. We can be found online (search our name) and most of your questions answered on the website. FYI, if you are eligible for membership, a single cleaner $1M general liability coverage would only cost you your membership fee of $379 per year.
GOOD LUCK with your new adventure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Schedule issues

This Might be the wrong forum for this (im new so forgive me) . We run a house cleaning business and we clean about 80 house a week. I have been manully scheduling the cleaning daily. Any solid recommendations on Scheduling software. This is one of my biggest challenges

Mandy

·
Banned
159 Posts
Hello,

Criminal evidence is the mainstay of many justice systems. Without it, the prosecution of crime is much more likely to be subject to corruption, personal designs, and unfair or unlawful punishment. By relying on the proof and inference created by reviewing criminal evidence, deciding bodies are more likely to have an objective, fact-based concept of a crime.

Thanks,
Jeffrey I. Reisman
1000 Finch Ave. West
Suite 705 Toronto, ON
M3J 2V5
Tel : 647.351.HELP (4357)
Fax : 416-514-1235
E-mail : [email protected]
www.jeffreismanlaw.ca

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I started ,I didn't have any idea how to promote and manage my cleaning business. I even didn't have a business cards! Then, step by step , I found the best ways for me to manage it. First, I did research about competitors, their rates and services, then I did my rates a little bit less then competitors rates. I found some local newspapers. I tried approximately 5 or 6 different newspapers and only one worked best for me. 3 or 4 month later I did my own website and tried adwords ads. It was helpful, but quite expensive. Now I'm growing my business by different promotions and referrals plus newspapers ads.
I used to think about that when i was teaching in Hangzhou

·
Registered
24 Posts
The cleaning business is the greatest recession proof industry in the world. It is always going good. It is only the motivation or lack of effort that could be going bad. There is more need for our services now than anytime in history. My clientele can always afford my services.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hope this helps in some way...

This thread is a joke... This is a really good example of forum boards. Yes, you can get a lot of good ideas and advice, however it's a wonder some of you have any clients at all.

Some of you have not done enough research. WE ALL need mentors in our lives. The best way to learn is to teach, so it may be fruitful to teach others and become a positive mentor.

As far as research. that only goes so far outside our cleaning industry. I think that was the reason they came here in the first place, for research. I know many people who wouldn't even know to ask the questions that were asked.

I live in Washington St, so some questions I can't answer, however clearly the ones who do live there don't know the answers. sorry :sad:

First before I answer what I can let me point out that I see a common mistake that most of us make while starting out. fact is most of us never overcome it.

Sounds like you are not sure what business you are in. it is all to easy to try and clean everything and never being the best at anything. Cleaning commercial accounts vs. residential are to very different beasts. Doing foreclosure-cleaning is not the same as commercial or residential. The first question you must ask yourself before any other question is this... What business am I in? Then you will be much clearer at what you need to ask and you will be much clearer on the MENTORS you will need to surround yourself with.

With that said...

1. Are there a lot of rules and regulations I should know before I start going after contracts?

This is a very open ended question however I can tell you, you will save a lot of time if you find another cleaning company that does what it is that you want to do, (who is not in your area). I am sure they will teach you. One area that many cleaning businesses overlook is a contract with your clients. NEVER skip the paper work before the job. it will come back to bite you. it is all to easy to just shake hands, do the job, and then expect to be paid. Do a contract.

You will need to check with your area to see what local rules and regulations are. That is one area I can't answer.

2. Are there certain business's I shouldn't go after?

Again this question can be answered by asking the question... What do I do?

The more specialized you become the higher the price you can ask and the happier the client.

As an example. Here in WA State as many of you know there are a ton of coffee shops, if you created a cleaning business that only cleaned coffee shops, now you know who your clients are and all your testimonials will be only from coffee shop owners. This will focus your marketing.

3. Can you recommend an insurance and bond company?

Again I can't answer this question because I am not in your area. if you were here I would gladly pass on my insurance company.

4. Should I apply for a DBE and 8A?

Again what business are you in? I know I keep saying this, however I feel there is nothing more important then knowing this. The DBE could be of great benefit if it complements your business plan.

5. Being a new company, what type of contract should I start trying to obtain with first?

What kind of work do you like doing? do you like working with homeowners? Do you like working at night?

Remember most cleaning companies do a poor job of cleaning and offering any kind of customer service. It is not hard to find a cleaning job. Build your company on "the experience" Create a high level client experience one that will WOW! them beyond what any other cleaning company will do. If you do that, your business will only grow. People talk and if you create the experience then they will tell others.

6. Is foreclosure-cleaning big in our area and if so, would you suggest I try to hit that market also?

This could be a specialized market. I have steered clear of it over the years only because sometimes it is hard to get paid in a timely manner. This may change with new laws and such. If you specialized in this though, you will learn how to make the right contacts and how to get paid. Your whole business will be set up to offer the best service in foreclosures. TRUST ME, If you get known for this, realtors talk and they are always having problems finding a good cleaning company.

I know I don't have all the answers but I hope there was somthing that helps. That is why you need to ask questions. the more you ask the more little nuggets you will be able to keep. Many times you won't get one but the one time that you do will be worth all the questions.

Good luck,
I wish I could help u with my experience when I was Teaching in Hangzhou.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cleaning business is also like any other business . You should have the proper infrastructure for starting in the market. Rates for servicing should be fixed as maintaining the tax pay sheet and compatibility regulation schemes is necessary. It also helps in attaining complete customer satisfaction.
Thanks for your sharing. I have also heard some news about cleaning business when I teach English in Shenzhen.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts