Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

I need help pricing on certain bids that I plan to acquire in the future. Does anyone know of any material that discusses pricing of commercial buildings? I would hate to really under/over bid on my first few jobs. I know that no one is perfect, but I at least want to price appropriately.

Many people in the industry told me that they stay away from pricing by sq ft. They typically price by number of rooms, what services they need and how often they need to perform services.

Any information would be helpful to me and greatly appreciated. Is there anyway to find out what a company is currently paying for cleaning services?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. This may seem ignorant, but can you explain the ISSA link you sent to me?

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
The chart shows the average time it takes to compete each of the listed tasks.

The ISSA times are a reference that most persons in the industry refer to when doing their bids to determine how long a job will take to do

For example the first entry is for sweeping with a 24 inch push broom - per the standards the average person can sweep 1,000 sq feet in 15.40 minutes, therefore in 1 hours time they can sweep 3,696 sq feet, so if you were to bid for the sweeping of a 10,000 sq ft area you would bill just over 2.5 hours for that

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I understand much better. So what would you typically charge per hour in the example you gave?

·
Registered
1 Posts
trying to start a comercial janitorial business

Seeing if anyone can give me some pointers. Im trying to start a comercial janitorial business but I've never done this before so looking for anyone that can give me advice im from Arizona so im wondering how do u look for the jobs and how do you price a job?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I started by buying a van and getting it lettered word of mouth has brought me most of my business. It takes time nothing is easy but in return it will pay off . Work hard and don't be shy talking to people EVERYWHERE you go. You never know who you are standing next to and where they can take you as far as business you might be standing next to the president of a huge property management company and 1 conversation could lead to a huge contract ....

·
Registered
50 Posts
BeeGee,

Typically, most commercial cleaning companies that I am familiar with as well as my own charge according to square footage. Charging by rooms would be difficult because while one office could be 10X13 an adjoining conference room could be 15X25. There are numerous websites that have commercial bidding calculators on them. I have found "The Janitorial Store" to be the one that works best for me. You can find them online. You enter in the square footage, your production rate (This is different than the average cleaning times for residentials. They have a calculator on there to help you figure this number out.), and your hourly rate as well as the number of times per week that you will be cleaning. It then gives you a number to use for your bids. To determine your hourly rate you will need to see what other commercial cleaning companies in your area are charging in order to be competitive. As far as determining what a company is currently paying, sometimes they will give you that information and sometimes not. I believe the better route is to determine what YOUR costs would be for cleaning that building including labor, supplies, overhead, etc and then factoring a profit percentage. That number will be what your company can perform the services for rather than trying to underbid the company that was in there previously. They may have underbid the job and may have resulted to cutting corners to increase their margins and you don't want to repeat their mistakes! Good luck! :thumbsup:

Mike

·
Registered
224 Posts
You should invest in a professional looking folder in which to put your company information. Go to nebs or deluxe to find them. You will need company letterhead and a color brochure with information on your company services. The more professional your company information looks, the less the chance of someone questioning your lack of experience or lack of references.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you Peter!I really admire your expertise in the business. I do have a letterhead,logo,and salesletter that a branding Co. put together for me. However, i've never seen a commercial/construction cleaning proposal ,let alone put one together. 1.)What all is included in the actual proposal? 2.) What is the setup of the proposal? I am ready to get out here and need to be ready when the first RFP comes.

Limitlesscleaning.net

·
Registered
224 Posts
Inside my folder is my business, card, packet of materials including my cover letter on letterhead. It thanks the customer for allowing us to visit their facility and mentions our services and what sets us apart from our competitiors. Then I include the proposal of pricing for the customers location based on the walk-thru. Then I have a supply price list of supplies that we sell in case customer want to purchase from us. I include my reference list. I then also place inside a colored brochure page with more information about the different services we provide including janitorial, floor maintenance, window washing, handyman services, etc.
I hope you find this helpful?
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org

1 - 19 of 19 Posts