Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes: Hi -- I am Brand New to the cleaning business. Just joined forum today. I am targeting larger homes 4,000 Sq. feet and up. My only method for generating new business has been hand-delivering fliers to mailboxes. I plan to get car magnets and such but don't have the budget yet.

I delivered about 650 so far. These are very upscale subdivisions where I figure people need and can afford my services. Got two calls, one in which I did a "home cleaning evaluation." I toured the home, got to know the homeowner and her expectations. For 7500 sq. ft. I quoted $300 that is for 6 baths and 5 bedrooms... Gave her a courtesy call back (left voice mail). Haven't heard from her yet. Got another call from a realtor to clean an 1100 sq. ft. vacant newly carpeted/painted home for $75. After much research I have decided to generally speaking charge .07-cents/square foot.

I am curious to hear how it was when you started your business. I am disappointed I have not received more calls. I am REALLY disappointed that I haven't had one paying job. Please help by telling how you got your fist clients and what happened from there. I need HOPE! I desperately need the income. Wondering if I am on the right track.

Thanks! J.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Hello J

Welcome to cleaningtalk and to the cleaning industry. Unfortunately your story is not too uncommon now a days. Don't get me wrong, work can be found, just not as readily as it once was since more and more people are entering into the field daily.

Back in the day you could easily get a 10% or higher return for every 100 fliers placed on prospective clients doors, but today the rate is closer to 0.5% for every couple of hundred fliers :sad:

My advise would be to keep plugging away at your marketing and in the meanwhile ask your friends/ family and local business owners (your doctor/ storekeeper/ etc...) if you can clean their homes for less in return for some referrals.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I must agree that it use to be alot better. However keep at it, it will get better! I started out the same way by doing flyers and it was slow at first. But it did pick up very quickly. Also I have found that there are periods of time when you may not get a response right away and that being in the summer months of mid-July through the first of Sept. It all depends on when school starts. That can be a crazy time of the year. At least thats how it is here in Kentucky. Also around the Christmas holidays is a great time people do alot of entertaining and the need your help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello! I am currently working in a carpet store and cleaning company. I would suggest, to go online and social media. Most of the time it is free and easy. You will reach easily your target market too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts