Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find a good pressure washer with enough PSI to clean a sidewalk. Its for commercial use, I need one that is good quality but not going to break me...any suggestions? or where I can look to find one?

·
Registered
621 Posts
define "break you". You don't need pressure as much as you need flow. You also need hot water for commercial cleaning. A minimum duty for doing more than a couple of jobs would be a 5.6 gpm machine which will run you about $4000. Is that what you meant or is this a one-shot deal for you?

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you are going to do a lot flat surfaces; I would suggest looking into a surface cleaner to attach to your pressure washer.

Reduces striping and no more swinging a wand.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are going to do a lot flat surfaces; I would suggest looking into a surface cleaner to attach to your pressure washer.

Reduces striping and no more swinging a wand.

thats perfect! how much does one of those run? and off of what kind of pressure washer?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Imtheprez
The 2 that we own are 20in BE’s
I’m not that crazy about their dependably, we have had to replace the main rotor on both. I can’t tell you how many hours we have on them but one went out only after a year and a half and the other six months later. One of them I had to send back to the company because it wasn’t balanced correctly when shipped new. We don’t use them everyday, but we maintain them well. We use them with a 3600 psi 13 hp pw. I would not suggest using anything with less psi and hp.

I would like to hear what others that use a surface cleaner daily suggest as the best, and why.

·
Registered
408 Posts
What state are you in? Are you or have you been employed with a company that provides this service? We have compaines in this industry that provide training.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im in TN..im expanding my company due to the fact i have had a lot of my accts asking for pressure washing. So im doing some research and just trying to get advice from people that has done this.

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you are going to do small areas and not expand into 10,000 s/f or bigger a smaller surface cleaner like the one pictured is fine. The more flow (gpm) you use the less likelyhood of striping the concrete. You'll also be able to move faster. Concrete pros use 28"+ surface cleaners with machines ranging from 5.6 gpm (too small for a surface cleaner that size, in my opinion) to 10 and 12 gpm machines for faster cleaning. If you use the right cleaning agents/chems, you shouldn't need more than 3000 psi. A semi decent concrete setup for medium size (0-20,000 s/f) cleaning duty would be a 28" Big Guy on at least a 5.6 gpm hot water machine. With hoses, reels, the right guns for downstreaming chemicals and the above cleaner and machine you are looking at around $8000.

You do realize there are federal reclaim laws for cleaning concrete, yes? You have to make sure you either recapture water, divert it to grassy areas or send it to the right type of drain. If you get caught sending wash waster (even if you don't use chemicals) to a storm drain you can get popped for a $10,000 fine. Reclaim equipment can set you back another few grand.

You can make decent money doing commercial concrete but you have to be fast at it. Here's a couple of pics and a link to http://www.pressuretek.com/zxzxzxzx.html

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are going to do small areas and not expand into 10,000 s/f or bigger a smaller surface cleaner like the one pictured is fine. The more flow (gpm) you use the less likelyhood of striping the concrete. You'll also be able to move faster. Concrete pros use 28"+ surface cleaners with machines ranging from 5.6 gpm (too small for a surface cleaner that size, in my opinion) to 10 and 12 gpm machines for faster cleaning. If you use the right cleaning agents/chems, you shouldn't need more than 3000 psi. A semi decent concrete setup for medium size (0-20,000 s/f) cleaning duty would be a 28" Big Guy on at least a 5.6 gpm hot water machine. With hoses, reels, the right guns for downstreaming chemicals and the above cleaner and machine you are looking at around $8000.

You do realize there are federal reclaim laws for cleaning concrete, yes? You have to make sure you either recapture water, divert it to grassy areas or send it to the right type of drain. If you get caught sending wash waster (even if you don't use chemicals) to a storm drain you can get popped for a $10,000 fine. Reclaim equipment can set you back another few grand.

You can make decent money doing commercial concrete but you have to be fast at it. Here's a couple of pics and a link to http://www.pressuretek.com/zxzxzxzx.html

thanks thats helpful!! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts