Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started my cleaning business and am struggling with the pricing. Right now since we are new we have decided to clean almost anything until our business is built up. Here is my problem...Word has already gotten out thru my family members and I have customers wanting to meet with me and my partner tonight! We have not figured out how to charge yet. These customers are just wanting their houses cleaned. Can anyone assist me in how to charge? I have called the cleaning companies in the phone book to see what they are charging but I either got a message or they don't do this area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I guess it is a good thing to already have customers calling but we weren't planning on being open for business for a few more weeks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
don't know where you are, but in the northern virginia boondocks i charge $25 per hr, and will not walk into a first time clean unless they will pay at least $175. first times are the worst :cry:

after the initial clean, i will adjust the price, either up or down, but always at the $25/hr rate. flat fees seem to work for some but circumstances (guests, add ons by request, etc.) can get out of hand if you offer a flat rate.

just my 2 cents :)

suzi g

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks for all your help! I ended up quoting $40/hour and got it!
Great.... Our cleaning service always quotes on the high end too. It's amazing what one can get if they just ask for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
need help pricing aqs well

I am also new to pricing, i live in lawrence massachusetts..should i charge per square feet or should i do it by the hour as well. where are the rate, for capet, tile floors, etc.. please help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When you say you price per hour, if there are 2 of you that work together, do you estimate the hours it will take and just make sure that the 2 of you should end up making 25 an hour???

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We found that for residential we base our price by the hour on our end. We do not let the customers know that is how we are figuring their pricing. For commercial we go by square foot. We do make adjustments according to what the customer is wanting. We have a base price then upcharge for extras such as blinds, baseboards and ceiling fans.

·
Registered
620 Posts
No one can tell you what to charge without knowing your efficiency, payroll, market, long term goals, etc. There is also no such thing as a "going rate" any more than there is a "going rate" for a new car. You have to experiment with what your market will bear. Learn how to sell, find out the customers needs through quantative consultation, then charge enough for you to stay in business with enough left over after you feed your family to grow your business and expand your marketing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Another thing to do is to call the "big" cleaning companies such as your local Merry Maids, Molly Maids, The Maids, etc. and glean from them what they charge. Pretend to be a potential customer. And charge accordingly.
We'd be working for free charging what they charge and pay what we pay our employees. The franchises here all hire cheap labor and can bill less than we do.

Again, the "going rate" is often the going out of business rate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts