Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I just got a phone call with a big property management company in my area and he wants to set up a meeting tomorrow morning. He has 650 residential properties and approx. 2 million square feet of commercial properties he is needing a cleaning service for. My question is what do I need to take with me to be prepared for this kind of a meeting? Any suggestions on bidding? This is our first big job opportunity and I definately do not want to blow it. Any help, tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am in the central Texas area.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason,
We didn't get any feed back on this for our meeting but here is how it went.
Prior to going to our meeting I felt that there was no chance on us landing this account due to us being so new to the business. We asked around to everyone we thought could help us and they said that normally the first meeting is to go over expectations. You will see what they want, how often and get all the other details. You would give them your details of what you do and what you can do for them. Then after the meeting you would work up your bid and send it to them.

We went to the meeting and he basically answered all of our questions before we had to ask them. He knew what he was doing so that was great for us. He knew that we were a new business because he had tried most of the others already. That also worked in our favor. He appreciated our honesty about how new we were and our experience. I think that honesty was very important.

In a nutshell, we landed the account! I was in shock because I didn't expect it. The main reason we went was for the learning experience and so that next time we would know what to expect and be better prepared. He is slowly going to give us different parts so as not to overwhelm us because they are such a large company. It is like he is hiring us and training us all at the same time. We started the residential yesterday and next week we start the apartment complexes and then next month we will start the commercial.

So far this is like a dream customer. He was very knowledgable and helpful. I don't see anything negative with this situation. Am I being naive? Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much for responding. Im very happy to hear you got the account. I am working on a smiliar job myself, It s a property management company that has 740 condo/properties in Florida. I had 1 meeting with the manager and he was very happy with our conversations, i went in there empty handed :/ but made an impression on him. He gave me his personal home # and told me he wanted to try me out. By law he has to take in 3 bids.. He went on to say hes not concerned at all about the lowest bidder and sometimes he wont go for low bid. He want QUALITY, and thats what Im all about. I cant sleep at night knowing its not right, lol. Anywaz, I have a folder with lots of info ready for him the next time we meet. Tell me more about your bid, job, size, hours to complete, expense if you dont mind.. Thankx, Jason

Jason Northup
www.floridaprowash.com

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bid was for 650 duplexes, 4 apartment complexes and 2million square feet of commercial. We didn't actually have to bid because he hired us on the spot. I guess he has had trouble with everyone else in our area. As far as the hours go right now I am not sure. We aren't fast at this yet so it seems to take us longer than we would like. The expenses are still being calculated. He did offer us 3 times more than we were asking for. He had received a flyer that had our apartment complex pricing. The information I had gotten on how to price those was completely inaccurate. Like I said he was a real big help. It all seems too good to be true so I am waiting to see what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome, Im glad he decided to go with you guys/girls. Its hard to start up and get good customers with little or no experience. Im curious to know how "was" you pricing apartements? I havent had luck with apartments, they seem to have there on "in-house" maint. crew. I have good success with Condos and businesses. Keep us up to date on how the project is going. Have you visited Pressurenet.net? Take care, Jason

Jason Northup
www.floridaprowash.com

·
Registered
326 Posts
Awesome, Im glad he decided to go with you guys/girls. Its hard to start up and get good customers with little or no experience. Im curious to know how "was" you pricing apartements? I havent had luck with apartments, they seem to have there on "in-house" maint. crew. I have good success with Condos and businesses. Keep us up to date on how the project is going. Have you visited Pressurenet.net? Take care, Jason

Jason Northup
www.floridaprowash.com
Much beter forums for pressure washing than pressurenet. Try http://www.thegrimescene.com or http://www.pressurewashinginstitute.com or http://www.ptstate.com

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was told on my apartment pricing to start at $35 for the small one bedrooms and then add about $10 for each additional bedroom and bathroom. We upped it a little from that on our own. We got this info from a former apartment manager and she said that was the going rate. The guy we had the meeting with said that was way too low and gave us a starting price of $100 and it goes up from there.

Also, we did our first apartment complex today. Not for my great customer that we just got but one that we were already working on. It was horrible. In a nut shell, when we loaded up the vacuum, there were roaches everywhere! All in our vehichle and even trying to get on us! I didn't see them at all when we were cleaning but that was the only place we have ever used that vacuum. We ended up calling the manager to tell her what happened and she was very nice and is buying us a new vacuum. There is no way we can use that one now. I don't want to bring it home much less could I take it to use for another customer. The apartments weren't nice at all. They were very old. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? How can you tell if a facility is infested prior to cleaning? I know now to always inspect before I clean but how will I be able to tell? I would appreciate any advise on this. My partner and I almost had heart attacks! We were driving when we noticed all the bugs! YUCK!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
OMG $35 and up :laughing: She was really trying to take advantage of you :censored:

In terms of infestations, one thing that you can do is to move the appliances (fridge or stove) generally if the place is infested you will see evidence of it there.

Strip and clean your vacuum out real well (outside of course), spray it with raid and allow it to dry and you should be good to go. ;) BTW - spray your car/truck as well

·
Registered
326 Posts
WTF? $35 is what we aim for per hour per man. Wow, she was really trying to get over. That's only the "going" rate for unlicensed, uninsured illegalls.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep were got taken advantage of big time. The good thing is we only did two and a half apts and figured it out! I can tell you we learned so much yesterday! We are definately going up on our price. If they don't like it they can go back to who they had before. They already said on the two we did do that we were the best they ever had as far as our quality. Not that I really ever even want to go back to that place. Thanks for all the advise! You guys have been a huge help. :clap: I learn so much everyday!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts