Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you screen your clients before you go out and give an estimate?
If so what type of questions do you ask to make sure your not wasting your time?

Do you ask for their budget, time frame, etc...?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I ask tons of qualifying questions.

Mostly questions that help me determine what kind of quality they are looking for.
higher end clients who know that you get what you pay for are the ones I like to service.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I don't have a set of questions that I ask per se, however I have developed a keen sense of listening over the years and a great gut instinct that seems to weed out the majority of the lookie lous and sour sams.

This is a request for a quote that I got just this evening -

"We have a small 3 br 2 ba home in Fremont we rent,and would like a twice a month cleaning.
We also have a small dog who is very well trained.
We need good cleaners with a reasonable cost to us since its not our own home but a rental,but we like to keep it clean.
Can someone please setup an appointment for us to get a quote
?"

My answer -

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding obtaining a quote for service on you home. I regret that at this time we are booked solid for the next 60 days and already have a full waiting list as well, therefore we are not giving any estimates for work at this time. Thank you for considering our services and we hope that you will again consider us for your future needs."

Why did I turn this down? Time has told me that when they need "good cleaners with a reasonable cost" that they are pinching pennies and cannot truly afford our services (cuz we ain't cheap :no:)

·
Registered
326 Posts
We don't screen per se. However, we do ask lots of questions but only so that I have info to use for closing. I ask questions like "What are you lokking for in a cleaner?" or "Why isn't the last company doing your cleaning anymore?" That is great for later when my price is higher than the last company and I explain that the last Company didn't do this or that and they weren't happy with them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I explain what we do, what we offer and I, like others mentioned, listen for verbal cues. I try not to scare them off but I let them know that I offer top notch restoration I don't merely "powerwash and stain".

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think...

I think when we are doing smaller ticket jobs as is the norm for the cleaning industry you really need to be pre-qualifiying over the phone.

My normal job is a shower cleaning/restoration or tile floor cleaning. I can usually bid these over the phone.

I ask lots of questions, I aslo mention to people that we're not the cheapest company in town but we do gaurantee they'll be happy before we leave.

Not too long ago I was running all over town doing estimates for 200-300 dollar jobs. Driving me a bit crazy - but I'm estimating them over the phone and still doing good...

To screen/qualify over the phone you also have to really have your name out there. If you're only getting a few calls a week you have a tendency to go out to every job and waste time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts